Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Reasons why Windows is shit

Reasons why Windows is shit
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #98242, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:14, 7/2/2007
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

We've probably had threads like this in the past, but I can't be bothered finding them.

1. You can click on something that exists, only for nothing to happen.
2. You can click on something that doesn't exist, and have something happen.
3. You can start entering text, only for it to not appear at the cursor.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #98243, posted by flibble at 15:21, 7/2/2007, in reply to message #98242
flibble

4. It's just evil, I hate the people behind it
5. It's different from $OTHEROS in some small way
6. Its apps are too big, they should be like $OTHEROS apps where small ones work together.
7. Its apps are too small, they should combine together into one app to do the common functions together like $OTHEROS
8. Its users are morons, they should be more like $OTHEROS users.
9. Some tiny problem means I write off the whole platform. I'll pretend $OTHEROS doesn't have any niggles.

I'm sorry, I switched into generic advocacy more ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #98244, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:39, 7/2/2007, in reply to message #98243

This is a Windows bashing thread, not an advocacy thread. If you want to start an advocacy thread, please do so :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #98246, posted by flibble at 16:14, 7/2/2007, in reply to message #98244
flibble

This is a Windows bashing thread, not an advocacy thread.
Isn't it the same thing ? ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #98247, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:29, 7/2/2007, in reply to message #98246

Depends on how broad your definition of advocacy is.

An advocacy thread would typically be an advocacy thread because it advocates a specific, named product. But this is only an advocacy thread because it implies that not doing what Windows does is a better way of doing things; i.e. it advocates everything non-Windows.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #98248, posted by ksattic at 16:29, 7/2/2007, in reply to message #98246
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

10 (or 4). Vista.

I used Vista for the first time last night - helping a friend set his new system up. Besides buying a computer with integrated graphics *despite* specifically going out to buy a gaming machine, it was a fairly nippy beast (Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB RAM, etc). We went out and bought a fairly decent graphics card for it.

It's a HP computer - what an annoying piece of crap! You cannot seem to turn off the "HP Advisor" software that they preinstall (despite a clearly labelled option: don't start HP Advisor when Windows starts), so every time you switch on, you get three windows - some Windows security bollocks, the HP Advisor, and the virus that is Norton.

They have jumbled all the menus around so it is difficult to find simple things like "properties" for the display. Shoving in the install CD that came with the ATI graphics card (it does say Vista compatible on the box) does nothing besides show a menu. Cliking any of the options in the menu does absolutely nothing at all. It's as if Vista is running the executable differently and getting something wrong.

It gives the Intel 950G integrated graphics a score of 3.2 (out of 6) in the Vista experience index. 3.2! This is the slowest kind of graphics chipset you can get, and it still gets a decent score! As a comparison, my ATI X300 at work which is a faster card (but still worthless) only gets a 3.1! Methinks that Intel are handing them some money for this...

[Edited by ksattic at 16:31, 7/2/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Carl williams Message #98258, posted by Wolfie at 21:47, 7/2/2007, in reply to message #98248
Vista continues on the long lasting tradition of all micros**t OSes. The more space/power available the more bloated the OS is. Vista has an extra 10% more features (That will crash 99% of the time you use them) than XP but uses about 200% more power and space.

RISC OS 3.11 fits nice in a 2meg rom, only the command prompt of win9x would fit. You be lucky to get the boot loader to fit for vista.

My :acorn:A3010 would easily boot up faster than my AMD64 3700 1Gb ATI9700 running VISTA coming out of hibernation.

Sadly I had to move from RISC computers to Windose systems. I miss using RISC OS!

Simon: My ATI card returns a 3.6. I had to download the driver from their site before it runs at full speed. Plus apparently vista changes its settings depending on the GPU.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mike Message #98275, posted by MikeCarter at 12:02, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98258
MikeCarter

Vista continues on the long lasting tradition of all micros**t OSes. The more space/power available the more bloated the OS is. Vista has an extra 10% more features (That will crash 99% of the time you use them) than XP but uses about 200% more power and space.

RISC OS 3.11 fits nice in a 2meg rom, only the command prompt of win9x would fit. You be lucky to get the boot loader to fit for vista.

My :acorn:A3010 would easily boot up faster than my AMD64 3700 1Gb ATI9700 running VISTA coming out of hibernation.

Sadly I had to move from RISC computers to Windose systems. I miss using RISC OS!

Simon: My ATI card returns a 3.6. I had to download the driver from their site before it runs at full speed. Plus apparently vista changes its settings depending on the GPU.
Have you considered Linux?

I can thoroughly recommend Ubuntu as a real alternative to Windows. I have friends that were stodge windows users, but are now using Ubuntu full time, apart from college where Windows XP is the standard.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #98276, posted by andrew at 12:13, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98275
HandbagHandbag Boi
Can you play Eve online on Macs though?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #98277, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:34, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98276

Can you play Eve online on Macs though?
The client is currently Windows-only, but I'm fairly certain people have played it on Macs (or at least Linux) via some emulator thing. You can probably run it under parallels, too.

*waits for the mac fanboys to give a better answer*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #98282, posted by filecore at 19:52, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98277

Above: Surely by $OTHER you meant RISC?

Anyhow, Vista may be shite (from the betas I've tested and all the reviews etc that I've read), but XPSP2 is a perfectly nice OS within its limitations. Microsoft-bashing is fun, from a business and ethical point of view, but XPSP2 (and Office2k3) are fairly decent.

--

(Repeat plug) Now I'm not going to reply any more, I'm off on my honeymoon for the next three weeks beginning at 5am with a 26 hour flight, Helsinki -> Amsterdam -> Hong Kong -> Bali, for our three week escape from the -30'C and snow into the +30'C and sun - Bali, Lombok, Hong Kong. Looking forward to it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #98283, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:07, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98282

Microsoft-bashing is fun, from a business and ethical point of view, but XPSP2 (and Office2k3) are fairly decent.
What do you think the first three items in this thread were talking about? :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #98284, posted by filecore at 20:24, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98283

I have no idea; they said WINDOWS was shit. Nothing about Microsoft.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #98285, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:28, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98284

I have no idea; they said WINDOWS was shit. Nothing about Microsoft.
Windows is a product made by Microsoft, isn't it? That's why it's called Microsoft Windows. Or so I'm told. And the version in question was (shock!) Windows XP SP 2. With office 2k3. (That's Microsoft Office 2003, in case you're confused).

Also, aren't you meant to be on your honeymoon now? And not replying to posts anymore?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Carl williams Message #98286, posted by Wolfie at 20:29, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98275

Have you considered Linux?

I can thoroughly recommend Ubuntu as a real alternative to Windows. I have friends that were stodge windows users, but are now using Ubuntu full time, apart from college where Windows XP is the standard.
I have tried LINUX but I'm not keen on it (I had to use it at uni). The main reason that I use windose is that I'm sadly a windows application developer. I have never herd of Ubuntu (I will look for it).

If only RISC OS could be ported to x86!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #98288, posted by flibble at 21:07, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98282
flibble

Above: Surely by $OTHER you meant RISC?
Not nessecarily, I read enough other platform sites to try to pick out a few trends ;)

4. It's just evil, I hate the people behind it

Often used by users of any OS against MS, sometimes Apple and accasionally ROL and Castle (depending on which camp the advocate supports).

5. It's different from $OTHEROS in some small way

This crops up all the time. Someone uses an OS an awful lots, gets used to it and can't handle anything different, however small. Soon the differences are trumpted as the most important thing about the OS.

6. Its apps are too big, they should be like $OTHEROS apps where small ones work together.

Often used as an argument by Linux/Unix/RISC OS users against Windows/Apple.

7. Its apps are too small, they should combine together into one app to do the common functions together like $OTHEROS

Opposite of 6), used by Windows/Apple users against Linux/Unix and RISC OS if they've ever heard of it.

This is a special PV arugment, used when you don't have anything logical to write.

9. Some tiny problem means I write off the whole platform. I'll pretend $OTHEROS doesn't have any niggles.

Along the lines of "I would use that OS but I didn't like having to read documentation to set something up" without taking into account the amount of work it took them to learn their favourite. Similar to 5).

Thus ends the Flibble lesson in trends in OS advocacy bollocks. Oh was I supposed to be bitching about windows ? OK then.

* I dislike sounds on events and turn them off.

That's about as annoyed as I can get with it at the moment.

[Edited by flibble at 21:11, 8/2/2007]

[Edited by flibble at 21:12, 8/2/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #98292, posted by monkeyson2 at 21:43, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98288
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

I've used loads of operating systems - RISC OS, Mac OS X, Amiga, MOS, etc - but only one has consistently annoyed me: Windows. Oh, and DOS, probably.

I think it's because Windows is the only OS you're (usually) forced to use - the others are (usually) your decision. It can't be coincidence that the few people with the liberty to choose which OS they use don't choose Windows.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #98296, posted by ilcook at 23:14, 8/2/2007, in reply to message #98292
trainResident idiot
I think it's because Windows is the only OS you're (usually) forced to use - the others are (usually) your decision. It can't be coincidence that the few people with the liberty to choose which OS they use don't choose Windows.
Couldn't agree more. ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #98298, posted by adrianl at 10:25, 9/2/2007, in reply to message #98296
Couldn't agree more. ;)
With which part? The first part of the sentence where he suggests that Windows probably isn't that bad, it's just being forced to use it that causes you to hate it, or the second part where he implies that few people choose it for themselves because it's shit? :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #98300, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:38, 9/2/2007, in reply to message #98298

With which part? The first part of the sentence where he suggests that Windows probably isn't that bad, it's just being forced to use it that causes you to hate it
I never said it wasn't bad. It is bad! (For varying degrees of 'bad' - it's certainly worse than the alternatives.)

Infact, it's probably worse than the others precisely because people are forced to use it. The alternatives have to try harder!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #98301, posted by SimonC at 12:28, 9/2/2007, in reply to message #98300
Elite
Right on, Commander!

Some argue that Windows is good because it does more and you can do more with it (partially true - is a fundamentally great OS crap if there's no software at all for it?), and whilst that may be true can anyone really say that when the same task is doable on another machine it's still better to use Windows? For a fair (and getting increasingly contrived) example you'd have to have equally powerful hardware and exactly the same application, but altered enough to fit perfectly into the philosophy of whatever it's running on.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Paul Vigay Message #98312, posted by pvigay at 18:06, 9/2/2007, in reply to message #98288

This is a special PV arugment, used when you don't have anything logical to write.
Nah! That's based on 20 years experience doing Windows support and
a) being down the pub and some Windows muppet tries explaining their computer problems to you,

b) being in PC World and listening to some of the morons discussing computer related stuff,

c) friends phoning up asking brain dead questions about how to do some 3 hour task which takes 10 seconds under RISC OS,

d) having to help out family morons fix their computer for the 100th consecutive time after you've explained *precisely* what the problem was and how to avoid it in the future,

e) Microshite designing the operating system specifically for morons in the first place!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #98327, posted by adrianl at 21:35, 9/2/2007, in reply to message #98312
e) Microshite designing the operating system specifically for morons in the first place!
Interesting. Do you think that's an example of a 'revenge effect', like the way that widening a road creates more traffic? So...

10. Windows is shit because it creates even bigger morons.

[Edited by adrianl at 21:36, 9/2/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #98328, posted by rich at 21:44, 9/2/2007, in reply to message #98312
Rich
Dictator for life

Nah! That's based on 20 years experience doing Windows support and
a) being down the pub and some Windows muppet tries explaining their computer problems to you,

b) being in PC World and listening to some of the morons discussing computer related stuff,

c) friends phoning up asking brain dead questions about how to do some 3 hour task which takes 10 seconds under RISC OS,

d) having to help out family morons fix their computer for the 100th consecutive time after you've explained *precisely* what the problem was and how to avoid it in the future,

I'd like to point out that, last time I went to Teh Vigay's house (maybe 2 years ago?) he still had his MSCE on the wall. Framed.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #98329, posted by monkeyson2 at 21:46, 9/2/2007, in reply to message #98328

I'd like to point out that, last time I went to Teh Vigay's house (maybe 2 years ago?) he still had his MSCE on the wall. Framed.
:P

|uploadremind|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #98333, posted by andypoole at 22:34, 9/2/2007, in reply to message #98328
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Yes, it was there whilst I was there, too :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kees Meijer Message #98339, posted by EasyKees at 01:09, 10/2/2007, in reply to message #98333
No one can complain about MS Vista.
It does exacly where it stands for :)

more- better and faster as Win XP......

http://www.riscos-online.nl/A9support/patches/Vista.jpg
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Paul Vigay Message #98342, posted by pvigay at 09:33, 10/2/2007, in reply to message #98328

Pagh! At least it was in the bedroom, out of public view! And I guess it does give me a marginal amount of justification for my anti-MS rants! :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #98345, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:12, 10/2/2007, in reply to message #98342

Pagh! At least it was in the bedroom, out of public view! And I guess it does give me a marginal amount of justification for my anti-MS rants! :P
What was Poolie doing in your bedroom? :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #98350, posted by andypoole at 13:43, 10/2/2007, in reply to message #98345
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

What was Poolie doing in your bedroom? :o
It wasn't his bedroom when I first arrived there :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Reasons why Windows is shit