Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Dock article on Wikipedia

Dock article on Wikipedia
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Mark Message #108228, posted by Mark76 at 09:42, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108223
Mark76

Gates definitely knew of Acorn since he tried to sell them MSDOS.
"Citation needed"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/yes-i-could-have-been-bill-gates-672962.html

Our mistake ­ and it was a large one ­ was not realising we were so far in front. If we had recognised we had the world's best computer, and had we gone out to set a standard with it, maybe the world would be Acorn-compatible rather than Wintel-compatible [Windows and Intel]. We also had the best operating system, better than Microsoft's MS-Dos. When Bill Gates was trying to sell MS-Dos to me I could clearly show him that we couldn't take such a retrograde step because we had something that was a lot better.
And http://poppyfields.net/acorn/docs/armdocs/hauser.shtml too.

[Edited by Mark76 at 09:44, 1/9/2008]

[Edited by Mark76 at 09:47, 1/9/2008]

[Edited by Mark76 at 09:49, 1/9/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108229, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:10, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108228
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

More bits that might be useful:

http://www.iconbar.com/desktop/screenshots.html
http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=6572&page=1#65985 (BBC Master Compact had a GUI)
http://www.guidebookgallery.org/guis/riscos (GUI history linked to from the above thread, lots of pics of Arthur/RISC OS and other OS's which we can scrutinise for other bar-shaped appendages)
http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=10572&page=1#104755 (Apple users admitting that RISC OS invented the docktaskconbar - maybe we can cite that as proof on the Dock (computing) page?)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mike Message #108230, posted by MikeCarter at 11:43, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108211
MikeCarter

I've just made a couple of other minor edits (mainly just wording improvements) and was going to upload a screenshot I've taken of my icon bar with a selection of apps running - and a few directories added with AddTinyDirs - but I apparently can't upload images (yet).

Edit: I've attached the image to this if anyone who already has an account can do the business. (Or they can upload their own screenshot if they have one).

Edit 2: Splitting it in half and representing the LHS and RHS separately might not be a bad idea.

[Edited by VincceH at 16:35, 31/8/2008]

[Edited by VincceH at 16:36, 31/8/2008]
Heya, sorry about the late reply, it was my birthday yesterday, im now 21 woo!
Iv had my account there for a while, so able to upload images, im off to town now, so will upload them when im back.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108231, posted by VincceH at 11:47, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108230
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Heya, sorry about the late reply, it was my birthday yesterday, im now 21 woo!
Well I hope you have a suitably nasty hangover, then. wink

Iv had my account there for a while, so able to upload images, im off to town now, so will upload them when im back.
Fair enough. I'm going to take a proper look at the article myself now.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #108232, posted by flibble at 12:14, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108229
flibble

I did this page a while back and never really finished it, however it does have the iconbar screenshots from arthur -> 4.02 ready split out as seperate gfx.

http://www.marutan.net/guis/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108234, posted by VincceH at 12:59, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108231
VincceH

I'm going to take a proper look at the article myself now.
Okay, I've had a read through and made a few minor edits, including adding a few links to other wikipedia pages. There are probably quite a few other links that could be added.

It could also do with a number of other things mentioned in the page being cited/referenced - the more references to back things up the better.

Also: Ref AddTinyDir being added in RISC OS 3 - are we sure that's the case? I mentioned it upthread, and the article mentions that, but the document on the WSS page I linked to further upthread, which mentions it, is dated 1989; RISC OS 3 was 1991, wasn't it?

(Oooh... I can check this later. I spotted my A3K user guide last night! I can probably lay my hands on it when I pop home later).

I was going to move the article out into the wider world of wikipedia, but it seems I can't do that (yet). Four day user rule, same as uploading images, it seems. When that's done, though, I vote that Mike be given the pleasure of linking to the page from the Dock (Computing) page wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #108235, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:06, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108232
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Did RISC OS 2 really have the hard disc icon on the right hand side? shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #108236, posted by richcheng at 13:14, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108224

not only did RISC OS invent the task bar/dock, but it also invented hibernation! (citation needed)
!Freeze was pretty amazing!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108238, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:19, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108235

Judging by the 'HardDisk' naming I'd wager that was taken from RedSquirrel/VirtualAcorn. So it's presumably a nuance with the HostFS code rather than the OS itself.

Also: Ref AddTinyDir being added in RISC OS 3 - are we sure that's the case? I mentioned it upthread, and the article mentions that, but the document on the WSS page I linked to further upthread, which mentions it, is dated 1989; RISC OS 3 was 1991, wasn't it?

(Oooh... I can check this later. I spotted my A3K user guide last night! I can probably lay my hands on it when I pop home later).
If the user guide doesn't mention it then I suspect the PRMs will. And if those don't then I may get luck and find my Arthur/OS 2 ROMs.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 13:22, 1/9/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Message #108239, posted by Mark76 at 13:49, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108238
Mark76

[youngmrgrace]You're all doing very well[/youngmrgrace] big grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #108240, posted by flibble at 14:41, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108238
flibble

Judging by the 'HardDisk' naming I'd wager that was taken from RedSquirrel/VirtualAcorn. So it's presumably a nuance with the HostFS code rather than the OS itself.
It was under red squirrel, I can't find a screenshot or photo of a real RO2 machine with a HD to check though unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #108241, posted by Lampi at 15:48, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108234
Lampi

It's a bit more complicated:

On RISC OS 2 TinyDirs was IIRC a Basic program, that when run allowed you to manually drag stuff to the iconbar.

With RISC OS 3 it was integrated into the new Pinboard module and the *AddTinyDir command introduced.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #108242, posted by Lampi at 16:32, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108235
Lampi

No, it was on the left.

The fact that the icon says HardDisk instead of HardDisc4 is also odd.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #108243, posted by rich at 17:16, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108242
Rich
Dictator for life
http://www.houseofmabel.com/puters/RISCOS2/medium/p98.gif
hard disc on left.

Please feel free to stealuse any screenies from my site in said article. I could even change copyrights, although I guess that would require me to upload images via my account?
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Duffell Message #108244, posted by ad at 17:20, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108243

http://www.houseofmabel.com/puters/RISCOS2/medium/p98.gif
hard disc on left.

Please feel free to stealuse any screenies from my site in said article. I could even change copyrights, although I guess that would require me to upload images via my account?
Likewise for the screenshots on the TIB screenshots page that have the News Ticker app running at the top of the screen as I took those ones. I can't speak for the rest because they were sent in to us by email.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #108246, posted by flibble at 18:52, 1/9/2008, in reply to message #108242
flibble

No, it was on the left.

The fact that the icon says HardDisk instead of HardDisc4 is also odd.
It's a HostFS mount point, not an ADFS disc.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108252, posted by VincceH at 10:56, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108241
VincceH

On RISC OS 2 TinyDirs was IIRC a Basic program, that when run allowed you to manually drag stuff to the iconbar.

With RISC OS 3 it was integrated into the new Pinboard module and the *AddTinyDir command introduced.
Yes, popped home and grabbed my A3K user guide last night and had a read. The upshot (for that article) is that AddTinyDir was a RISC OS 3 feature, as it says, but TinyDirs was shipped earlier with RISC OS 2 and achieved the same thing.

What might work, I think, is creating a new section detailing the history of the bar - how it changed from one version of RISC OS to the next. If I get time later I'll make a start. The slight problem is that for this week my only internet access is while I'm at this office because I'm not staying at home, and I'm quite busy here.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108253, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:25, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108252

What might work, I think, is creating a new section detailing the history of the bar - how it changed from one version of RISC OS to the next.
Would make sense, I guess. Even if we can't find much to say about each version it would be a sensible place to show the pictures of the different versions.

The slight problem is that for this week my only internet access is while I'm at this office because I'm not staying at home, and I'm quite busy here.
Meanwhile I'm currently doing long hours/weeks at work so won't have much time when I do get home unhappy

Tonight I'll try hunting around for information about that Master Compact GUI to see if it had any bar-ish features. I suspect not, but we might find something interesting anyway. I'll also dig up my Arthur/OS 2 ROMs so we can do first-hand checks of what the bars were capable of.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108255, posted by VincceH at 12:36, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108253
VincceH

Would make sense, I guess. Even if we can't find much to say about each version it would be a sensible place to show the pictures of the different versions.
Partly I'm thinking to break up the text somewhat - but also, so we have a nice easy to spot (and link to/point out) section which shows the icon bar having docking facilities back in the very late 80s by way of TinyDirs. Complete with an ISBN number. That'll show those evil Apple fanbois! wink

What I'll actually do is save the article out and take it with me - that way, when I've nothing to do this evening (or tomorrow evening - I'm elsewhere tomorrow, and don't know if I'll have internet access), I can actually play around with it offline, then edit any changes into the real thing on Thursday.

I'll also dig up my Arthur/OS 2 ROMs so we can do first-hand checks of what the bars were capable of.
I wonder if there was a TinyDirs or equivalent for Arthur? Unfortunately, my switch from 8bit happened with RISC OS 2 on the A3K.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108256, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:47, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108255

I'll also dig up my Arthur/OS 2 ROMs so we can do first-hand checks of what the bars were capable of.
I wonder if there was a TinyDirs or equivalent for Arthur? Unfortunately, my switch from 8bit happened with RISC OS 2 on the A3K.
I've got a copy of the TinyDirs app somewhere (I think), so I'll run it and find out.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #108257, posted by flibble at 12:50, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108253
flibble

Careful you don't fall foul of "No original research".
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #108258, posted by flibble at 12:50, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108253
flibble

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108259, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:07, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108258

Simple enough - post an article on TIB about the features of the icon bar, then cite that as a reference wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108260, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:45, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108253

Tonight I'll try hunting around for information about that Master Compact GUI to see if it had any bar-ish features. I suspect not, but we might find something interesting anyway.
Note to self: check if wikipedia has the right information before saying you're going to run off and look for it elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BBB_MC_GUI_2.jpg

No sign of an icon bar in that screenshot - just an Apple-y menu bar. So it's fairly safe to say the icon bar was invented with Arthur.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108262, posted by VincceH at 14:30, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108260
VincceH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BBB_MC_GUI_2.jpg

No sign of an icon bar in that screenshot - just an Apple-y menu bar. So it's fairly safe to say the icon bar was invented with Arthur.
Actually, I'm looking at that menu bar and thinking "Windows Start Menu" tongue

It's at the top rather than the bottom, and the "menu" doesn't appear after pressing "Start" or somesuch - but look at what's on it: It isn't a menu of tools within a particular application, it actually appears to be a menu of applications.

Okay, so I'm not being 100% serious. wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108263, posted by VincceH at 14:41, 2/9/2008, in reply to message #108262
VincceH

Actually... looking at that screenshot above, I have a question. Okay, a few:

Is that the submenu for Calculator showing - "Display/Remove"? And if you can "Remove" something from that menu, then can things be added to it?

Are programs (from the Programs menu?) added to it by running them - which would make it an ancestor of the icon bar, or just added as a shortcut to running them from the Programs menu - which would make it a dock of sorts?

All of that said, we can see two programs displayed - card index and calculator, and there are also clock, catalogue and notepad shown on the menu. If they're also running, why can we not see them? (There doesn't appear to be any kind of minimise/close/hide tools on the programs that are running).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108273, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:55, 3/9/2008, in reply to message #108253

Found them!

Arthur was a bit shit, wasn't it?

I've got a copy of the TinyDirs app somewhere (I think), so I'll run it and find out.
The version I've got is the RISC OS 3 one - which just does "*AddTinyDir %*0", so certainly won't work on anything before OS 3 (especially since it also RMEnsure's OS 3)

Is that the submenu for Calculator showing - "Display/Remove"? And if you can "Remove" something from that menu, then can things be added to it?
By "Display/Remove" they probably mean "Show/Hide", since there are no close icons on any of the windows.

Are programs (from the Programs menu?) added to it by running them - which would make it an ancestor of the icon bar, or just added as a shortcut to running them from the Programs menu - which would make it a dock of sorts?
Probably the latter, since IIRC not even Arthur had a multitasking desktop. The initial user of the window manager is just a meta-program offering calculator/notepad/etc. facilities.

If they're also running, why can we not see them?
Because they haven't used the 'Display' option on the menu smile

For your amusement, here's a list of the * commands and SWIs available in Arthur. I suspect some people are using machines with more modules loaded than Arthur had SWIs unhappy

Interesting how the Desktop module was capitalised as DeskTop.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108293, posted by VincceH at 14:04, 4/9/2008, in reply to message #108255
VincceH

What I'll actually do is save the article out and take it with me - that way, when I've nothing to do this evening (or tomorrow evening - I'm elsewhere tomorrow, and don't know if I'll have internet access), I can actually play around with it offline, then edit any changes into the real thing on Thursday.
The best laid plans, and all that... I put off looking at it until last night, but went straight from where I was working to fix someone's laptop (bloody Vista service pack 1 endless reboot cycle - which I thought was no longer an issue) and ended up spending the rest of the evening with her, so I didn't get 'home' until late.

And now I'm going to be busy until Sunday, probably.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #108294, posted by monkeyson2 at 14:12, 4/9/2008, in reply to message #108293
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

and ended up spending the rest of the evening with her, so I didn't get 'home' until late.
naughty
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108299, posted by VincceH at 15:10, 4/9/2008, in reply to message #108294
VincceH

and ended up spending the rest of the evening with her, so I didn't get 'home' until late.
naughty
I said evening, not night, dirty beggar. tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (3): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: General: Dock article on Wikipedia