Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: What makes RISC OS, well er RISC OS :)

What makes RISC OS, well er RISC OS :)
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Peter Naulls Message #112718, posted by pnaulls at 20:46, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112717
-- Snip rantastic --

I'm afraid you've mixed up various attributions between myself and the other Peter, so it's not really worth quoting you. If you are going to accuse me of stuff, how about some examples? Otherwise it's all hand waving.

Also, I think less hyperbole would help. Let's stick to what I *actually* said, rather than extrapolations to what you think I might have meant.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #112719, posted by filecore at 20:47, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112717

This could also be the case for people that make off hand comments and put downs and yet know nothing about what I am trying to do.
I do not discuss private talks with developers, and business deals on the public forum, UNTIL there is something to discuss.
No problems there. You won't hear another word about what I am doing UNTIL it is done.
This is the problem. You're consistently not really saying anything. If you have a realistic plan, then please share. You have to understand, somebody comes along every six months and enthuses about RISC OS and evangelises about how we could take the OS market by storm and so on and so froth, so until there's something definite or concrete, it's easy to be sceptical. And remember, all these doubters and nay-sayers and the redoubtable Mr. Naulls are currently the heart of your potential userbase - so if you can't convince us, you'll have a hard time convincing those who have never used anything but Windows.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #112720, posted by VincceH at 20:53, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112719
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

somebody comes along every six months and enthuses about RISC OS and evangelises about how we could take the OS market by storm and so on and so froth
Please tell me that was deliberate and not a typo. The context makes it too beautiful to be a typo.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #112721, posted by filecore at 20:57, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112720

Please tell me that was deliberate and not a typo. The context makes it too beautiful to be a typo.
It actually was intentional, although I honestly didn't think anybody would notice tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #112722, posted by arawnsley at 21:02, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112717
R-Comp chap

Which is what I am doing. Unlike you, I do not discuss private talks with developers, and business deals on the public forum, UNTIL there is something to discuss.
Speaking of which, I'd rather like to hear (privately) from you, Andrew! I can't help feeling that as one of only about 3 companies to still try and make a living from RISC OS development, we might be able to help each other a bit?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #112723, posted by filecore at 21:18, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112722

Speaking of which, I'd rather like to hear (privately) from you, Andrew! I can't help feeling that as one of only about 3 companies to still try and make a living from RISC OS development, we might be able to help each other a bit?
While I'm all for seeing RISC OS getting a bit more successful, I feel I ought to point out that this doesn't really bode well - in such a small market, surely everyone would have been in touch with everyone else already about potential money-making opportunities?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112724, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 21:34, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112718
-- Snip rantastic --

I'm afraid you've mixed up various attributions between myself and the other Peter, so it's not really worth quoting you. If you are going to accuse me of stuff, how about some examples? Otherwise it's all hand waving.

Also, I think less hyperbole would help. Let's stick to what I *actually* said, rather than extrapolations to what you think I might have meant.
I think they were quoted accurately from what you have both said.
The list everything you have said would take a long time.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112725, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 21:37, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112719
This could also be the case for people that make off hand comments and put downs and yet know nothing about what I am trying to do.
I do not discuss private talks with developers, and business deals on the public forum, UNTIL there is something to discuss.
No problems there. You won't hear another word about what I am doing UNTIL it is done.
This is the problem. You're consistently not really saying anything. If you have a realistic plan, then please share. You have to understand, somebody comes along every six months and enthuses about RISC OS and evangelises about how we could take the OS market by storm and so on and so froth, so until there's something definite or concrete, it's easy to be sceptical. And remember, all these doubters and nay-sayers and the redoubtable Mr. Naulls are currently the heart of your potential userbase - so if you can't convince us, you'll have a hard time convincing those who have never used anything but Windows.
I do understand, however I have never said that I am going to take anything by storm.
As I have stated, I am working for projects on both the Acorn and RISC OS side.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112726, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 21:38, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112722

Which is what I am doing. Unlike you, I do not discuss private talks with developers, and business deals on the public forum, UNTIL there is something to discuss.
Absolutely, if you let me have your email address, I'll be more than happy to have a talk.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112727, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 21:40, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112723
While I'm all for seeing RISC OS getting a bit more successful, I feel I ought to point out that this doesn't really bode well - in such a small market, surely everyone would have been in touch with everyone else already about potential money-making opportunities?
Were trying. It's been difficult to get in touch with people over the holidays. That what I was busy with over the last couple of days.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Blind Moose Message #112728, posted by Acornut at 22:04, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112726
Acornut No-eye-deer (No Idea)

your email address
If you click on the 'underlined' posted by Member, it wil take you to their 'User Profile'
Then, go to their website, and 'hey presto' contact details, email addresses, etc. wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #112729, posted by arawnsley at 22:04, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112726
R-Comp chap
Erm, I rather assumed I didn't need to post email addresses on public forums - if in doubt, it is at the rcomp website smile

(Thanks to Blind Moose for the tip - I couldn't find email address in the profile when I did a quick check, but it is good to know it is possible)

[Edited by arawnsley at 22:06, 7/1/2010]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #112730, posted by nunfetishist at 22:05, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112708
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

I'm not sure a GUI that hides most of an application's functionality behind a physical and unlabelled button can ever be called "intuitive"..
More intuitive than e.g. <SHIFT>-clicking for multiple selections IMHO.

Buh? How are these related? You can get by without selecting multiple objects. First time my mother used RISC OS, she thought she could only interact with objects she could see! That's /way/ more limiting.

Of course, all of these exist in other OSes, many of them from the same era as RISC OS.
(except Acorn Replay)

Err. You were unfamiliar with Video for Windows and AVID?

[Edited by nunfetishist at 22:09, 7/1/2010]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112731, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 22:09, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112727
Ok, the first thing we are looking at, is to turn Acorn Cambridge into a cooperative, so that the whole community would be able to be a member and have a vote on the direction of the company.
I would like to see the green side of the ARM SoC played on.
I won't bore you with the 8bit side, as I assume you ain't interested. Suffice to say, we are actively trying to track down the rights owner to the BBC MOS and Basic.
We are looking at the web browser issue, to see if we can help with NetSurf, Firefox or some other browser.
I would like to do a multimedia device for the living room, however I have recently been told that RISC OS isn't up to it. Which leaves the question of if we did it, how to do it.
Then we have negotiations over the licence for RISC OS, which are not clear cut or easy.
We have discussions about whether to support a limited range of systems (like Apple does) or to develop a range of systems from Netbooks, Smartbooks to Desktops.
If we go for the range of systems, which means serious work on RISC OS, do we create a derivative which would do what we want.
How far would you like me to go here.
We then have different streams including a branded music/video streaming/download service. Do we make it open to everyone, or build a ARM/RISC device.
There are opportunity's in the Media & Game industry's.
Classic games on the iPhone, Android, PC, Mac, Linux and RISC OS systems. The rights are there.
Do you want me to stop yet?
Then we have negotiations over the name, what we can and what we can not use.
Do we go away from the ARM/RISC OS side and build Wintel machines, Yes it has been tried, but not in the right way.
All these things and more are being talked about. Some things look possible, whilst others are hitting snags. But the questions are being asked, can we do them and if the answer is no, how can we do them anyway.

I hope that this answers SOME of your questions. and to quote Mr Nualls "It's not real clear what the aim is" I hope this answer's it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112732, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 22:12, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112729
Erm, I rather assumed I didn't need to post email addresses on public forums - if in doubt, it is at the rcomp website smile

(Thanks to Blind Moose for the tip - I couldn't find email address in the profile when I did a quick check, but it is good to know it is possible)

[Edited by arawnsley at 22:06, 7/1/2010]
Sorry, yes. I had a quick look in your profile and couldn't find it. I'll check your website now.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #112734, posted by trevj at 22:29, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112730
More intuitive than e.g. <SHIFT>-clicking for multiple selections IMHO.
Buh? How are these related? You can get by without selecting multiple objects. First time my mother used RISC OS, she thought she could only interact with objects she could see! That's /way/ more limiting.
I was referring to Windoze (and RO uses the Adjust button as we all know).

Apparently so. I didn't know they were ARMovie-compatible. Not really relevant anyway (I stated "in its day").

Maybe the main area to concentrate on should be:
Less scene in-fighting
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #112735, posted by andypoole at 22:33, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112734
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

I was referring to Windoze
Sigh. Aren't we grown up enough to call it "Windows" yet? That pun was funny in the 1990s - it's a bit old now.

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #112736, posted by nunfetishist at 22:44, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112731
nunfetishist

We are looking at the web browser issue, to see if we can help with NetSurf, Firefox or some other browser.
Perhaps you should talk to us, then smile What kind of help are you able and planning on offering?
I would like to do a multimedia device for the living room, however I have recently been told that RISC OS isn't up to it. Which leaves the question of if we did it, how to do it.
Well, quite. You could use RISC OS to provide the infrastructure, but offload all video and codec work to a DSP. But then what's the point in using RISC OS, when there are cheaper (ie, free) alternatives that are far superior for this sort of embedded use? (For example, I have an ARM Linux-based HDTV media streaming box under my TV that cost less than a RISC OS licence.)
Then we have negotiations over the licence for RISC OS, which are not clear cut or easy.
And never will be until RISCOS Ltd. opens up. And Dave Holden admits I own his beard.
We have discussions about whether to support a limited range of systems (like Apple does) or to develop a range of systems from Netbooks, Smartbooks to Desktops.
Who is 'we'? What resources does this 'we' have to do anything at all on hardware?
We then have different streams including a branded music/video streaming/download service. Do we make it open to everyone, or build a ARM/RISC device.
Good luck getting anywhere with this. It's a hyper-competitive market, and requires millions of pounds to set up.
There are opportunity's in the Media & Game industry's.
And no doubt grammar checking software industries. But RISC OS and the hardware it runs on are entirely unsuitable for what you suggest here.
Classic games on the iPhone, Android, PC, Mac, Linux and RISC OS systems. The rights are there.
Do you want me to stop yet?
Only once you've suggested something viable.
I hope that this answers SOME of your questions. and to quote Mr Nualls "It's not real clear what the aim is" I hope this answer's it.
Let's hope your attention to detail for business is higher than your typing; if you're unsure how to spell Peter's surname, either look up a bit and you'll see it written there, or just say "Peter".
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #112737, posted by nunfetishist at 22:49, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112734
nunfetishist

I was referring to Windoze (and RO uses the Adjust button as we all know).
Yes, I know. But you seem to be suggesting that hiding 95% of an application's functionality behind an unlabelled button isn't as bad as having to press shift to select multiple objects on the occasions it might be convenient to. Surely you're not this blinkered?
Apparently so. I didn't know they were ARMovie-compatible. Not really relevant anyway (I stated "in its day").
Err. They're not ARMovie-compatible. But something to display video and provide video container/editing is not something that was ever ever unique to RISC OS. Which was my point.

Maybe the main area to concentrate on should be:
Less scene in-fighting
Or certainly less illogical delusional fanboys.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #112738, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:55, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112731
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Ok, the first thing we are looking at, is to turn Acorn Cambridge into a cooperative, so that the whole community would be able to be a member and have a vote on the direction of the company.
I think that's the key sentence out of what Andrew H. has just said. (Almost) everything else is just speculation over what can/can't/will/won't be done with the company, and so is probably best to be ignored by all the would-be flamers until a concrete decision comes along.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #112739, posted by VincceH at 23:00, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112736
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

And never will be until RISCOS Ltd. opens up. And Dave Holden admits I own his beard.
You might own the majority of it, but I've seen snippets of the head licence which clearly show that a large number of individual follicles are owned by third parties and only provided as part of the beard under a strictly non-transferable licence.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #112740, posted by monkeyson2 at 23:05, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112739
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

You might own the majority of it, but I've seen snippets of the head licence which clearly show that a large number of individual follicles are owned by third parties and only provided as part of the beard under a strictly non-transferable licence.
David Holden has an exclusive licence to grow beards within the RISC OS desktop market. We have no idea where John Cartmell got his from but he'll be hearing from our solicitors tomorrow.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Blind Moose Message #112741, posted by Acornut at 23:06, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112732
Acornut No-eye-deer (No Idea)

Ear !! Anybody thought of asking ARM if they want their OS back? grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #112742, posted by monkeyson2 at 23:14, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112731
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Classic games on the iPhone, Android
Of all the things you suggested, this seems the most feasible.

It would be great if you could get old BBC or Arc games in the App stores, XBox Live and the Wii shop. Imagine playing Zarch with the Wii controller! (hint: you'll still crash after five seconds).

I for one would pay 59p to play SF3000 or Granny's Garden on my iPhone.

As for the hardware plans - you probably would get a better return on investment by selling David Holden beard masks. wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #112743, posted by andypoole at 23:18, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112742
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Granny's Garden
You won't get a license for that. 4Mation still sell it themselves. As well as a retro version.

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #112744, posted by nunfetishist at 23:28, 7/1/2010, in reply to message #112740
nunfetishist

David Holden has an exclusive licence to grow beards within the RISC OS desktop market. We have no idea where John Cartmell got his from but he'll be hearing from our solicitors tomorrow.
He does indeed, but I have paperwork here that clearly states that all of the beards grown in the RISC OS desktop market, regardless of origin, legally belong to me.

No, you can't see the paperwork.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Naulls Message #112746, posted by pnaulls at 00:24, 8/1/2010, in reply to message #112724

I think they were quoted accurately from what you have both said.
The list everything you have said would take a long time.
Less time than follow ups trying to justify your not doing it. You've misattributed mine and Peter's points, which in case were largely unrelated. Besides, I know Peter probably doesn't agree with what I have to say, simply because he likes to be contrary ;-)

I'm still not sure what you're accusing me of, if anything.

You won't hear another word about what I am doing UNTIL it is done.
If you say so.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Willcocks Message #112748, posted by Stoppers at 07:06, 8/1/2010, in reply to message #112737
... you seem to be suggesting that hiding 95% of an application's functionality behind an unlabelled button isn't as bad as having to press shift to select multiple objects on the occasions it might be convenient to. Surely you're not this blinkered?
That's ridiculous! You don't think that, presented with a device with three buttons on top, people won't wonder what the third button does? It clearly has something to do with the pointer (the botton's on the device that moves the pointer around the screen), but probably won't do the same as the other two buttons, otherwise why put it there?

On the other hand, you could try using both hands, one on the text-entry device and see what happens....

Have yoou ever tried H-clicking in Windows?

-- Edit:
You were, of course referring to the menu button being the 95% functionality, but once you've found it (which is also quite likely by trial and error), it's completely consistent in RISC OS

[Edited by Stoppers at 07:36, 8/1/2010]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #112749, posted by trevj at 09:01, 8/1/2010, in reply to message #112735
Windoze/"Windows" ...funny in the 1990s.
P'haps it's just me who's stuck in the '90s then!
I think that's the key sentence out of what Andrew H. has just said.
Here are some example UK cooperatives (some workers', some members') that I'm aware of:

[Edited by trevj at 09:16, 8/1/2010]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #112750, posted by flibble at 09:49, 8/1/2010, in reply to message #112746
flibble

Besides, I know Peter probably doesn't agree with what I have to say, simply because he likes to be contrary ;-)
No I don't!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (3): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: General: What makes RISC OS, well er RISC OS :)