User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Gordon J. Key

Gordon J. Key
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

antom Message #119230, posted by antom at 22:36, 27/10/2011, in reply to message #115662
Who was ELIZA (the cheat code to skip a planet)?
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I remember reading in either Archimedes World's Cheats page (Out of the Darc, was it?) that Eliza was Gordon's wife - still might be! smile

Oh, and Gordon, thanks for some absolutely brilliant games that kept me occupied in my formative years! Loved Clogger on the BBC B & E-Type still has fond memories. In fact, I remember writing about completing it for my "What I did at the weekend" work at primary school complete with a drawing big grin

[Edited by antom at 23:38, 27/10/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #119239, posted by andrew at 12:52, 31/10/2011, in reply to message #119230
HandbagHandbag Boi
E-Type was perhaps the most graphically impressive game ever released for the Beeb, and fast. Two weeks is incredible. The only thing I missed was a finish line.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Glenn Burgess Message #119268, posted by DiscoBurgess at 14:43, 4/11/2011, in reply to message #119239
No love for Black Angel? That game kept me going for a while. Like Elite on steroids.

I'm curious as to whether that game was "asked for" by the publisher or not. I can imagine either scenario, for different reasons. I remember, just for the hell of it, flying from one star to another, without using the stargate. I was so impressed that it was actually possible.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #119269, posted by Lampi at 17:58, 4/11/2011, in reply to message #119268
Lampi

I remember, just for the hell of it, flying from one star to another, without using the stargate. I was so impressed that it was actually possible.
How long did that take?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #119270, posted by qUE at 01:36, 5/11/2011, in reply to message #119269
qUE

I remember, just for the hell of it, flying from one star to another, without using the stargate. I was so impressed that it was actually possible.
How long did that take?
What speed were you travelling?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Glenn Burgess Message #119298, posted by DiscoBurgess at 13:40, 10/11/2011, in reply to message #119269
How long did that take?
Not that long - we're talking almost 20 years ago, here, but I seem to remember it was only 10-15 minutes.
I have absolutely no idea. I *think* that there was a speed limit in the game. I just kept burning the... Superstring drive (I think it was called) until I hit that speed limit, and then kept an eye on it while I read a book or something. I was boring teenager!

I think there was also time dilation- as you got up to speed, the clock started going faster. I forget how much time elapsed on it during the journey.

Someone help me out, here, I'm not thinking of a totally different game, am I? Black Angel seems to have disappeared from reality, very little mention of it on the internet, and I don't have the disks anymore.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #119303, posted by pwx at 23:11, 11/11/2011, in reply to message #119298
How long did that take?
Not that long - we're talking almost 20 years ago, here, but I seem to remember it was only 10-15 minutes.
I have absolutely no idea. I *think* that there was a speed limit in the game. I just kept burning the... Superstring drive (I think it was called) until I hit that speed limit, and then kept an eye on it while I read a book or something. I was boring teenager!

I think there was also time dilation- as you got up to speed, the clock started going faster. I forget how much time elapsed on it during the journey.

Someone help me out, here, I'm not thinking of a totally different game, am I? Black Angel seems to have disappeared from reality, very little mention of it on the internet, and I don't have the disks anymore.
I also did this, to test for a bug. The system named 'oooei' or something similar would cause the game to hang if you used one of the stargates to get there. I warped to the nearest system and flew there instead, to see what would happen. It took about 4 hours, and the game hanged. :-(

I never did report it to 4D. Given how bad they often were at actually fixing things later on, I didn't see the point.

The in-game speed limit was the speed of light.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andy Davison Message #119304, posted by roobarb! at 01:47, 12/11/2011, in reply to message #119298
Black Angel seems to have disappeared from reality, very little mention of it on the internet, and I don't have the disks anymore.
That was a great game. In fact, I think I have my original copy in a box behind me... smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Glenn Burgess Message #119306, posted by DiscoBurgess at 11:50, 12/11/2011, in reply to message #119304
Black Angel seems to have disappeared from reality, very little mention of it on the internet, and I don't have the disks anymore.
That was a great game. In fact, I think I have my original copy in a box behind me... smile
Is it still for sale anywhere? Can't see it on APDL. My battered A3010 is sitting behind me, but I'll probably just play it emulated. Considering giving the thing to a collector anyway. It's only deteriorating in my 'care'.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andy Davison Message #119307, posted by roobarb! at 18:36, 12/11/2011, in reply to message #119306
Considering giving the thing to a collector anyway. It's only deteriorating in my 'care'.
If you thinking of donating it anywhere, if it's an early model (with the mezzanine Adelaide board) I'd be very interested. I have one in really good condition (serial number 4!) except that the board is suffering from the effects of a leaking battery. I was going to attempt repairs (I've started a thread looking for the offending sockets), but a motherboard swap would be quicker and the damaged board could go to someone with more time / better skills. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Xavier Tardy Message #119314, posted by Enzo at 10:09, 13/11/2011, in reply to message #119306
Hello.
I can send it with a working machine in exchange of yours, faulty.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Glenn Burgess Message #119325, posted by DiscoBurgess at 11:57, 14/11/2011, in reply to message #119307
Considering giving the thing to a collector anyway. It's only deteriorating in my 'care'.
If you thinking of donating it anywhere, if it's an early model (with the mezzanine Adelaide board) I'd be very interested. I have one in really good condition (serial number 4!) except that the board is suffering from the effects of a leaking battery. I was going to attempt repairs (I've started a thread looking for the offending sockets), but a motherboard swap would be quicker and the damaged board could go to someone with more time / better skills. smile
I'm afraid it's a standard ARM250 CPU.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

vanpeebles Message #119326, posted by vanpeebles at 12:34, 14/11/2011, in reply to message #119314
I could be tempted to part with my mezzy A3010 if the price was right smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andy Davison Message #119332, posted by roobarb! at 09:11, 15/11/2011, in reply to message #119326
I could be tempted to part with my mezzy A3010 if the price was right smile
Interesting... smile

Could you drop me an email? The address is just my name with @gmail.com on the end.

[Edited by roobarb! at 09:11, 15/11/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120237, posted by trevj at 20:08, 29/4/2012, in reply to message #115469
Just wondering if anyone knows how I could track down the reference for a relevant interview in The Micro User. (And even better, any similar articles discussing Gordon's work.) I have a few years' worth which I could hopefully check next weekend.

Please note: Some of you may have guessed this is in connection with Wikipedia. The post here is merely to request information. Those interested should take note of the canvassing policy... and for the avoidance of doubt it may be wise not to engage in any current discussions there as a result of reading this. Thanks.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #120238, posted by filecore at 05:49, 30/4/2012, in reply to message #120237

Please note: Some of you may have guessed this is in connection with Wikipedia. The post here is merely to request information. Those interested should take note of the canvassing policy... and for the avoidance of doubt it may be wise not to engage in any current discussions there as a result of reading this. Thanks.
OTT, surely? For factual information regarding a programmer who was most active over a decade ago, I don't think fears of canvassing (or any other worries about unfair bias or influence) are even slightly relevant. Focus more on reality and less on Wikipedia's pretence at being a legitimate research institute smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120239, posted by trevj at 10:55, 30/4/2012, in reply to message #120238
OTT, surely?
Maybe, but as this thread is cited in the article there, editors may follow it through and infer that by posting here for help with references, I'm canvassing for !votes. I'm not. However, as we have automated article alerts in place, any Wikipedia editor/reader regularly keeping an eye on the WikiProject page could spot the alert there and act on it independently.
Focus more on reality and less on Wikipedia's pretence at being a legitimate research institute smile
Sorry - what reality do you mean? That Gordon Key is a notable programmer? That he's not? That we have a less than desirable number of sources cited? There's also the reality that Wikipedia guidelines and policies exist which inform decision making by members of its community.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120240, posted by pwx at 13:16, 30/4/2012, in reply to message #120237
Just wondering if anyone knows how I could track down the reference for a relevant interview in The Micro User. (And even better, any similar articles discussing Gordon's work.) I have a few years' worth which I could hopefully check next weekend.
I was given a large collection of Acorn mags by a TIB forum member, and they're in easy reach. If you know the publication and approximate year, I can have a look for you this week.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120249, posted by trevj at 15:32, 30/4/2012, in reply to message #120240
Gordon, any ideas when that could've been?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120286, posted by trevj at 20:14, 5/5/2012, in reply to message #120249
Nov '88, pgs 90-91! smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120296, posted by trevj at 20:58, 8/5/2012, in reply to message #120240
If you know the publication and approximate year, I can have a look for you this week.
Belated thanks for this offer. I had no idea of the year until I started looking myself!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120297, posted by pwx at 09:53, 9/5/2012, in reply to message #120286
Nov '88, pgs 90-91! smile
Which magazine is this? AU or Micro user?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120299, posted by trevj at 10:54, 9/5/2012, in reply to message #120297
Micro User, the issue preceding the Clogger demo.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: General: Gordon J. Key