User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Free BBCs and Acorns!

Free BBCs and Acorns!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jason Togneri Message #116852, posted by filecore at 20:50, 8/3/2011

To anyone who is relatively near to (or willing to drive to) southwest Scotland, about 25 miles north of Carlisle along the M74, I've been clearing old stuff out of storage recently and I have a bunch of Acorns and a couple of BBCs that I'll be getting rid of towards the end of March. Anybody who wants to come and collect stuff is free to try their luck.

First, the caveats: I won't get back there until the weekend after next (19th-20th) and it'll take me a little time to sort, classify and mvoe everything, so the machines will only be available for collection on the weekdays from Monday to Wednesday (21st-23rd), so it's probably best to confirm the time you'd come beforehand. It'll be more or less on a first come, first served basis - whoever can commit to coming can have what is there. So far I don't have much in the way of specs or any clue if they're actually in working order or not, since they've been sitting in storage for a long time, and I won't be able to give any more details until the weekend of the 19th.

As for what's there, this is the lot:

Four BBCs (I think mostly Masters, one may be a B, one has Wordwise+ on ROM installed)
A310
A420/1 (if I recall correctly)
A3000 (has had an inquiry to have it shipped to the USA, but will give locally if that proves too expensive!)
A4000
A5000
A7000+ in original box (has had inquiry to be shipped if working; if corroded battery or other damage, will give locally for parts)
RiscPC (unknown spec, two-slice, but probably 3.7/SA202)

Also some miscellaneous hardware: Cumana external floppy drives (single and dual) a SCSI floppy drive, some other bits and pieces).

UPDATED: please see an updated and slightly more detailed list further down in this thread.

And some random software; off the top of my head: Beebug Ovation DTP for Arc, Pipedream Spreadsheet, Cumana photo album V1 CD, Through my Window (Anglia Multimedia CD for Acorn), The World of Robert Burns (CD, tape and book), Slick Computer Simulation by BP, TextEase, Acorn Advance, Seelinks Ourselves database framework (visual data manipulation). All in original boxes with manuals. I think there's also a large stack of RISC OS CDs but I can't be sure of what's there until I get back and have a more detailed look.

As I said, I will post more details closer to the time. Any enquiries should be posted to this thread, and if you want to contact me privately mention it here and I'll arrange something. If nobody collects them I might put anything worthwhile into storage or sell it on eBay, but much of it will have to be simply thrown out. Sorry for the short timespan (and for being so vague), I am only in that part of the world for a flying visit and won't be back until the summer!

Hopefully this will give interested parties a change to pencil it into their diaries as a 'maybe' enough in advance.

[Edited by filecore at 16:02, 10/3/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Justin L Message #116854, posted by myfavheadache at 20:58, 8/3/2011, in reply to message #116852
How unfortunate, I live in Fife, a bit far for me to travel. unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116858, posted by filecore at 08:50, 9/3/2011, in reply to message #116854

Anyone 'daan saaf' should note this message offering to take them to Wakefield for further distribution, and possibly should reply to the CSAM list or contact the author directly.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Sandra Hodson Message #116864, posted by trikemadbabe at 16:55, 9/3/2011, in reply to message #116852
We are a computer museum in Wigton Cumbria and would be very glad for these items as we are currently renovating a building to enable us to teach kids and adults about these computers and programming etc. I have emailed you but backing up by replying this way.

t-lcarchive.org

Many thanks
Sandra
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116866, posted by filecore at 18:34, 9/3/2011, in reply to message #116864

Interesting. Definitely worth keeping in mind - I've promised a few of the machines already, and I'd rather give the higher-end ones to active enthusiasts (there is still a commercial market and active OS development, so many enthusiasts will use the machines to develop code on and for).

But you're more than welcome to any unclaimed BBCs (there should be at least a couple for you) and whatever Acorns are left over - I live abroad and am only over for a short time, hence the very small number of days I'm actually available there, as well as the lack of exact details thus far.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steven Gregory Message #116868, posted by thecellartroll at 23:47, 9/3/2011, in reply to message #116852
Hi,

I'd really, really like the RiscPC if its still going.

I've been forced to hack around with emulators since I had to reduce the amount of computer hardware I had due to moving into a shoebox. Now I'm moving back to a place with rooms I'd really like to get back into my RISC OS properly!

Happy to come and pick up at a time suitable for you. I'd also be happy to bring a machine up to Falkirk or Edinburgh for collection by the poster from Fife.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116869, posted by filecore at 08:59, 10/3/2011, in reply to message #116868

Sure can do! Not sure if it'll have a working hard drive though, but I'll bring along a spare - I think I've got an 800M lying around somewhere.

Actually I'd recommend getting a cheap CF <-> IDE adapter from eBay and using one of those with a 1GB CF, less prone to failure and a million times quieter! You'll also want to get a copy of the latest !Boot sequence.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116870, posted by filecore at 10:04, 10/3/2011, in reply to message #116869

Okay, if Justin L (myfavheadache) and Steven Gregory (is that the cellar troll or the cell art roll?) want to contact me and arrange something, you can do so through my username filecore at my Gmail.com account. Please note that I don't have a UK mobile number, but you can SMS my forrin number or you'll be able to call me on a landline closer to the time. I'll give exact details via email.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116871, posted by filecore at 15:59, 10/3/2011, in reply to message #116870

Right, here's a more accurate list (still no idea of whether they're fully working or the internal specs):

MACHINES
2 x BBC B+ - one to the Time-Line Computer Archive in Wigton, the rest to Paul J
4 x BBC Master - ditto the above
1 x A310 - unclaimed
2 x A410/1 - one is claimed and will be transported to Wakefield by Charles Hope, who has space for one or two more if any southerners want something; the other is free.
1 x A4000 - unclaimed
1 x A5000 - unclaimed
1 x A7000+ (in original box) - claimed
1 x RiscPC 600 (dual slice, probably 3.7/SA202) - claimed by Steven Gregory, who is willing to transport stuff to Lothian/Fife if anyone else is interested

Any unclaimed machines will be added to the bundle going to the Time-Line Computer Archive in Wigton, so at least they won't go to waste.

PERIPHERALS
1 x external Cumana CD-ROM (unknown interface)
1 x external Cumana dual 5.25 floppy drive
1 x external Cumana single 5.25 floppy drive
1 x external random single 5.25 floppy drive
1 x spare standard floppy drive
1 x monitor (unknown type, probably AKF85 or similar)
1 x load of BBC software
1 x load of RISC OS software

All of the peripheral stuff is so far unclaimed.

ADDITIONAL
1 x Psion Series 3 including User Guide, Programming Manual, mains cable (it also runs of 2x AA), and possibly an Acorn Pocket Book A-Link 2, if I can find it.
1 x Garmin GPS II circa 1996, includes a 4m external antenna with magnetic base, and a combo in-car charger/serial data cable. In original box with instruction manual, near mint - claimed.

Both of these items are in great condition, and would be good for collectors of retro hardware smile I am willing to post these last two items for whatever the cost of P&P is. If nobody wants these I'll probably offer them on eBay.

Edit: speaking of eBay, buy my other crap. Possibly more to come. Ta.

[Edited by filecore at 22:31, 13/3/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116872, posted by filecore at 09:33, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116871

Update: I have contacted Charles on the CSAM newsgroup who will be passing by in April on his way to the Wakefield show, and he is happy to ferry some machines down. I can therefore take requests, although it's entirely up to him how much he can fit in his car. Enquiries by email to me.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Dave Lane Message #116873, posted by kandron at 10:21, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116872
hi -new to this forum, hope it's ok to jump in.

If anyone might be interested in a couple of non-working BBC micros, I have an ancient model 'B' and a Master to get rid of. Perhaps of more interest are the two twin disc drives (Technomatic) that, afaik, are working. One of these is a twin 5.25, the other a 5.25 & 3.5 combination. Both are mounted in a steel frame that sits over the computer.

I'm having a big clearout, and these were heading for the skip - but if anyone lives near Bangor, N. Wales and would like to collect them, drop me a line.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116874, posted by filecore at 10:53, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116873

It's less confusing (and more polite) if you make a thread of your own, and keep these things seperate.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

paul j Message #116875, posted by paulj at 12:15, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116874
Hi Jason,

I would be interested in the spare master please.

Thanks,
Paul

[Edited by paulj at 12:15, 11/3/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116876, posted by filecore at 12:17, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116875

Paul, please contact me by email to arrange collection.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

paul j Message #116877, posted by paulj at 12:18, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116875
I would be interested in the bbc+ as well please

Thanks,
Paul
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

paul j Message #116878, posted by paulj at 12:20, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116876
Paul, please contact me by email to arrange collection.
Hi Jason,

I will, I am having problems trying to figure out how to use this message board.

Thanks,
Paul
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116879, posted by filecore at 12:21, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116878

Edit: oops.

[Edited by filecore at 12:22, 11/3/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116880, posted by filecore at 12:21, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116878

filecore at Gmail.com
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116881, posted by filecore at 18:02, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116880

I know this thread is already at the top of the list, but those who pay attention to the 'last message' date (or get RSS notifications) may have missed the fact that I keep editing my listing post, which can be found a few messages back.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tokyoracer Message #116882, posted by tokyoracer at 22:31, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116881
What sort of state is the A4000 and 5000 in? Would you be willing to post these?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steven Gregory Message #116883, posted by thecellartroll at 23:16, 11/3/2011, in reply to message #116870
Email sent. Hopefully it doesn't land in the Spam can smile

It is The Cellar Troll - long story...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116884, posted by filecore at 07:49, 12/3/2011, in reply to message #116882

What sort of state is the A4000 and 5000 in? Would you be willing to post these?
As previously mentioned, they've been in storage for a long time, so I won't know until I get a chance to look next weekend. They could be in mint condition and fully upgraded, or totally unworking basic machines. But I'm giving them away for free, so what do you have to lose?

No, I don't really relish the thought of posting them. Maybe you can arrange for another to collect them and deliver them somewhere near your location, whereabouts are you? We've got people in Fife, Glasgow, and one travelling to Wakefield and London.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tokyoracer Message #116891, posted by tokyoracer at 21:51, 12/3/2011, in reply to message #116884
As previously mentioned, they've been in storage for a long time, so I won't know until I get a chance to look next weekend. They could be in mint condition and fully upgraded, or totally unworking basic machines. But I'm giving them away for free, so what do you have to lose?

No, I don't really relish the thought of posting them. Maybe you can arrange for another to collect them and deliver them somewhere near your location, whereabouts are you? We've got people in Fife, Glasgow, and one travelling to Wakefield and London.
Ah, I could arrange a courier to collect from your door someday but if it's strictly a collection only then il have to regretably pass on this. unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116914, posted by filecore at 10:10, 16/3/2011, in reply to message #116891

Ah, I could arrange a courier to collect from your door someday but if it's strictly a collection only then il have to regretably pass on this. unhappy
If I get rid of most of it, we can probably arrange something related to a courier - contact my at my username @ gmail and we'll see if we can arrange something!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David R. Lane Message #116968, posted by DaveLane at 18:59, 21/3/2011, in reply to message #116875
Hi Paul J,

If you are the person who emailled me about BBC Bits, then it seems you have confused me with another 'Dave Lane' who posted in this thread on 11/3/2011, "posted by kandron". It is 'kandron' who is offering BBC machines, not me.
Cheers.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steven Gregory Message #117009, posted by thecellartroll at 19:09, 23/3/2011, in reply to message #116871
Hi Jason,

Just wanted to say many thanks for the Risc PC. She booted no problem and looks great on my desk smile I've spent the evening ordering the necessary toys - I'm going to try the serial mouse option before trying to source a (non mortgage requiring) Acorn mouse.

My girlfriend was not impressed that I didn't bring the cat back also smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

van Engelen Thomas Message #117011, posted by highlandcattle at 22:51, 23/3/2011, in reply to message #116871

1 x A4000 - unclaimed

ADDITIONAL
1 x Psion Series 3 including User Guide, Programming Manual, mains cable (it also runs of 2x AA), and possibly an Acorn Pocket Book A-Link 2, if I can find it.

[Edited by filecore at 22:31, 13/3/2011]
Hi I would *LOVE* the Psion S3 as I am a collector of such this, and also Acorn Pocket book A-link2.

Would you be willing to ship to Belgium? I can Paypal or IBAN!

I would also like the A4000 if shipping it all together won't kill my wallet to much!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #117017, posted by arawnsley at 16:37, 24/3/2011, in reply to message #117011
R-Comp chap
If you're going to the Dutch expo (which we'll probably be doing because of the ARMini), I'd be happy to take stuff across if it is of any help (eg. collect at Wakefield and drop of at the Dutch show).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #117019, posted by filecore at 19:04, 24/3/2011, in reply to message #117011

Hi I would *LOVE* the Psion S3 as I am a collector of such this, and also Acorn Pocket book A-link2.
Too late on the A4000, I gave it to the computer museum people since nobody else wanted it. The Psion is still kicking around though, but it'll take some time as I'm travelling right now. But sure, Paypal is fine and I can post to Belgium. I didn't manage to find the A-Link, sorry, although I'm convinced it's around somewhere. Send me an email!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

van Engelen Thomas Message #117040, posted by highlandcattle at 09:32, 26/3/2011, in reply to message #117019
Well to be bad on the A4000 but my girlfriend is ccheering in the background!
Email sent!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: General: Free BBCs and Acorns!