User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
Related articles
- Wakefield Show this Weekend
- CES 2010: ARM hardware roundup
- A gaggle of gadgets
- Wakefield 2003 - the preview
- Acorn games news
- News archive: December 1998
- News archive: Pre-July 1998
- Wakefield show postponed due to COVID-19
- RISC OS London Show 2019
- RISC OS London Show 2018
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: Wakefield show approaches

Wakefield show approaches

Posted by Jeffrey Lee on 21:25, 12/4/2011 | , ,

Wakefield Show logoIt's that time of year again - this Saturday marks the date of the sixteenth Wakefield show. The show will take place at its usual location of the Cedar Court Hotel, and will run from 10:00am to 4:30pm. Entry is set to cost £5 per adult, which grants you access to both the main show floor itself and to the theatre presentations. Highlights of this year's show look to be:
  • R-Comp/RCI - Apart from the other wares they'll be bringing to the show, expect them to also take the opportunity to officially launch their new ARMini computer.
  • RISC OS Open and RISCOS Ltd - Providing you with the latest OS updates, no matter which side of the fence you're on.
  • Mike Cook's Gadgets stand - If you've ever wanted to find out what he's been up to since his Micro User/Acorn User days, now's your chance!
  • WikiProject RISC OS - Meet the people who aim to put RISC OS back on the map (on Wikipedia, at least).
  • Also look out for lots of new software releases, including (but not limited to) new versions of Organizer 2 and Impact.
For more details about the show, including the theatre schedule, please check out the show's website.

Wakefield show approaches
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jason Togneri Message #117327, posted by filecore at 12:28, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117306

Good point, Rob, but then it couldn't be pronounced to rhyme with "Harmony", which was one of the intended nuances of the name.
Hm. So is it bad I've been pronouncing it "A-R-Mini", then? tongue
Me too...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #117332, posted by VincceH at 12:57, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117327
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Me too...
You see, Andrew? I said you should have called it the Eastwood! No acronyms there to confuse people! tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #117337, posted by swirlythingy at 16:55, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117327

Good point, Rob, but then it couldn't be pronounced to rhyme with "Harmony", which was one of the intended nuances of the name.
Me too...
Gah. I bet you're all smug bastards who pronounce it "Risk Oh Ess", too.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #117342, posted by VincceH at 18:21, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117337
VincceH

Observe some of the people who do that when they give theatre presentations and such like, and smile - just as a smug bastard smiles - when you notice their pronunciation change to a simpler option somewhere during their talk.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #117343, posted by filecore at 18:26, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117337

"Risk oss" rather than "risk oh ess"
"Risk pee see" rather than... anything else
"Tib" rather than "tee eye bee" (TIB), even though it doesn't generally have an article anywhere
etc

I suppose that technically it should be "are eye ess see [pause for breath] oh ess" since it's all an acronym, though.

Oh, for f**k's sake, you f*****g c*****g useless piece of s**t m****rf*****g stupid b*****d s**t w***e of a f*****g forum. When will somebody stop making B) == Cool Dude?

[Edited by filecore at 18:28, 18/4/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #117348, posted by VincceH at 21:18, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117343
VincceH

I suppose that technically it should be "are eye ess see [pause for breath] oh ess" since it's all an acronym, though.
Surely not, Shirley - for exactly the same reason: because it's an acronym.

Unless I'm misremembering that an acronym is defined as a word (or in this case two of the damned things) made up from initial letters of other words.

(Ignoring that we've now spoiled the definition of acronym - and indeed the number three - by commonly referring to them all as TLAs.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #117349, posted by filecore at 21:29, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117348

Well if you want to be pedantic, we're juxtaposting acronym and initialism which, while often interchangeable, aren't always. We've been semantically lazy. So I used the wrong definition, and you were just wrong: it's not an acronym. It's an initialism. My point still stands that it should be "are eye ess see, oh ess" - if you're being pedantic about it. That it just happens to form a word is also lazy and misleading; there is no word "risc", there is only the word "risk". Saying that it's "almost the same" would be like saying two, too and to are "almost the same" and therefore are, in fact the same. Clearly this is a fallacy. So there you have it: RISC is neither a word nor an acronym, and can thus be treated as neither. Happy now?

[Edited by filecore at 21:30, 18/4/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #117355, posted by VincceH at 22:50, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117349
VincceH

Well if you want to be pedantic, we're juxtaposting acronym and initialism which, while often interchangeable, aren't always.
Perhaps, but (in more formal documents at least) my use of the two words is different in an important way. Specifically:

Initialism; an abbreviation in which the letters themselves are pronounced - so the "oh ess" in the way some pronounce RISC OS.

Acronym; an abbreviation in which the letters themselves form a word (or are pronouncable as one, even if it's not a real word)* - such as RISC, obviously, or the obvious examples RADAR and LASER.

*I didn't state that before, because I didn't realise you were going to be pedantic and take 'word' to mean a real, already extant word.

We've been semantically lazy. So I used the wrong definition, and you were just wrong: it's not an acronym. It's an initialism.
Not according to my understanding of those words, which goes back as far as I've ever known them. I always reserve the right to be wrong, of course, but I'll stick with my definitions for now.

(Which means that those who pronounce it as "Risk oh ess" - using my definitions/in my opinion - are using a combination of an acronym and an initialism. Except when they change mid-theatre presentation, and then they start using two acronyms.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #117358, posted by filecore at 22:56, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117355

It's all academic anyway, since I use it as two acronyms: risk oss! I do believe there was even internal inconsistency in the way Acorn themselves used it, back in the day, on the Welcome Tapes and whatnot.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #117361, posted by swirlythingy at 23:10, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117358

It's all academic anyway, since I use it as two acronyms: risk oss! I do believe there was even internal inconsistency in the way Acorn themselves used it, back in the day, on the Welcome Tapes and whatnot.
Why would Acorn have used the name 'RISC OS' on a 'Welcome Tape'? Behind the times, or miraculously ahead of them?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #117362, posted by swirlythingy at 23:15, 18/4/2011, in reply to message #117343

Oh, for f**k's sake, you f*****g c*****g useless piece of s**t m****rf*****g stupid b*****d s**t w***e of a f*****g forum.
I managed to decipher most of this, except for "w***e". Urban Dictionary offers one possibility, but I don't think I've seen anybody bother to censor that before. Is it a forrin word for some awful Finnish perversion we're better off not knowing? Or does Tib really want to have sex with everyone except you?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #117367, posted by filecore at 07:26, 19/4/2011, in reply to message #117362

Just trying to be polite to the other forum users. Some people regard that word as more offensive than most of the others, for some odd reason.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Duffell Message #117378, posted by ad at 12:22, 19/4/2011, in reply to message #117362

w***e
*hor* ?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #117380, posted by filecore at 12:52, 19/4/2011, in reply to message #117378

That said, profanity on TIB is nothing new. Ah, I remember the days of the profanity filter, and inserting HTML tags between letters just so you could write "damn".

And that's a trick I still have to use when putting disk or file sizes in brackets, because this stupid forum still insists on parsing (100MB) as (100MCool Dude...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #117390, posted by bhtooefr at 15:22, 19/4/2011, in reply to message #117358
"Risk oss" just sounds weird to me, so I say it "risk oh ess" instead.

Of course, there's always acronyming (yes, I just verbed a noun) the acronym+initialism combo, and getting "row".
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VV Message #117550, posted by VincentVega at 19:17, 29/4/2011, in reply to message #117361
Why would Acorn have used the name 'RISC OS' on a 'Welcome Tape'? Behind the times, or miraculously ahead of them?
The A3010 came with a welcome tape, which led you through setting up the machine and the basics of the operating system. On the tape, it was pronounced as "risk oh ess".
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #117554, posted by nunfetishist at 20:10, 29/4/2011, in reply to message #117550
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

The A3010 came with a welcome tape, which led you through setting up the machine and the basics of the operating system. On the tape, it was pronounced as "risk oh ess".
And if you look through the sources, you'll see bags of references to RiscOS. There's no right way. Except "RiscOS". That's never right.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #117555, posted by monkeyson2 at 20:46, 29/4/2011, in reply to message #117550
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

This one? http://www.iconbar.com/archive/tape/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #117556, posted by swirlythingy at 11:20, 30/4/2011, in reply to message #117555

Oh, I see - I didn't realise it was intended for human, rather than digital, consumption! (I was thinking along the lines of the BBC Micro 'Welcome Tape'.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #117558, posted by filecore at 16:34, 30/4/2011, in reply to message #117556

All of the modernish Acorns (definitely A3000 onwards, at least) shipped with the Welcome Tape and sometimes another tape - I forget what this second was called, although I do recall dual-tape packs as well as multiple individual tapes bundled with machines. Since this was in the age of 3.5" floppies already, they were always audio tapes, not data. Oddly enough, I don't actually recall ever listening to one. I threw loads of the things in the bin, though...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Graham Thurlwell Message #117559, posted by Jades at 19:35, 30/4/2011, in reply to message #117558
All of the modernish Acorns (definitely A3000 onwards, at least) shipped with the Welcome Tape and sometimes another tape - I forget what this second was called, although I do recall dual-tape packs as well as multiple individual tapes bundled with machines.
I don't recall us getting a tape with either our A3000 (one of the early RO2 ones with the Owl on) or with our 33MHz A5000 which came with Advance and the PC Emulator and was a near contemporary of the A3010/3020/4000 machines.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alan H James Message #117560, posted by alanex at 19:45, 30/4/2011, in reply to message #117559
I got the "News Update" tape with my A3000 running ROS 2.00, I think it was part of the Learning Curve pack? I also have a Welcome to RISC OS 3 tape, which came with a pile of Acorn kit I purchased a few years back.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steven Gregory Message #117561, posted by thecellartroll at 19:51, 30/4/2011, in reply to message #117558
All of the modernish Acorns (definitely A3000 onwards, at least) shipped with the Welcome Tape and sometimes another tape - I forget what this second was called, although I do recall dual-tape packs as well as multiple individual tapes bundled with machines. Since this was in the age of 3.5" floppies already, they were always audio tapes, not data. Oddly enough, I don't actually recall ever listening to one. I threw loads of the things in the bin, though...
I got two tapes with my A3010. Absolutely no idea what was on them as I never listened to them. I did pass them on to the new owner though...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #117562, posted by filecore at 21:22, 30/4/2011, in reply to message #117560

I got the "News Update" tape with my A3000 running ROS 2.00, I think it was part of the Learning Curve pack?
Yes! The Learning Curve tapes, that was what I couldn't remember.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: News and features: Wakefield show approaches