Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: We're off to see the Omega

We're off to see the Omega
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Phil Mellor Message #35751, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:09, 5/3/2003
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

...the wonderful Omega of Oz. Well, Wakefield actually.

I think I'm going to go to this tonight.

Anyone got any specific Omega tests or observations they want doing? Not sure how much chance I'll get to use them, but I'll have a go. :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #35755, posted by Phlamethrower at 10:19, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35751
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

:o

Anyone got any specific Omega tests or observations they want doing? Not sure how much chance I'll get to use them, but I'll have a go. :)
How about testing if you can steal one from them? ;)

Um, er, hm. Bring along a benchmarking program on a floppy. And make sure iconbar get exclusive rights to the results :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35767, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:50, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35755

Gah, you people are hopeless.

One suggestion?

You don't want to see a *HELP MODULES ?

Or the results of a *Unplug PCIManager? (Only joking, Mr Atkins...)

Or the timings of a stupidly complex path interpolation in Draw? Or an experimentation into Mode 7?

How about a plugging in of walkman headphones, just incase they "forget" the speakers again?

etc, etc?

And I put this thread in the playpen because I thought it would get more traffic. :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #35771, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:59, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35767

See; you can think of plenty of ideas yourself :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gavin Smith Message #35772, posted by SparkY at 13:03, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35771
Danger! Danger! High Voltage!
Try Tek? :)
Install Select? ;)
Open up box and check for RiscPC? :)
Ask Mr Atkins where he is going to license his RISC OS from? :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35799, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:10, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35772

I'm going armed with a floppy containing:

1. nbench (as used on drobe's iyonix benchmarks)
2. system (updated !system, for above)
3. sick
4. discspeed

I'm also tempted to put NetSurf on, but I want to leave some free space for saving various taskwindow outputs. :)

I bet I'm not allowed to use the floppy drive. :|

NB. If I can't get reasonable access to the Omega, I shall claim that I am a reporter from The Iconbar and demand immediate assistance!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35812, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:18, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35799

I wish I had a digital camera. I've got an analogue one, which means any photos I take will be very delayed in appearing on the net. :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #35814, posted by moss at 17:18, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35812

/me can't wait for report :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35818, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:21, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35814

Oh, everything I see and do will be under NDA. :E

I'll only be able to make cryptic allusions, just like everyone else who apparently knows stuff. :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #35826, posted by moss at 17:24, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35818

:(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #35828, posted by rich at 17:25, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35799
Rich
Dictator for life
I usually(1) do...

*spool ADFS::0.$.Spoolfile
*help
*help commands
*podules
*help filecommands
*help modules
*modules
*spool

*status and *show can be informative too.

1Although I've only uploaded the ArthurOS one so far, but the RISC OS 2, 3 and 4 ones are ready, honest...
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35829, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:25, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35826

If David Hatkins is around, I'll ask him to look into the Real Ingenuity debacle.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #35832, posted by moss at 17:27, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35829

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact583.html

Why are you getting flamed, :monkeyson: :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #35833, posted by moss at 17:27, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35829

If David Hatkins is around, I'll ask him to look into the Real Ingenuity debacle.
Oh wow, that'd be great. :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35834, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:30, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35832

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact583.html

Why are you getting flamed, :monkeyson: :E
Probably because I :handbag:gged mr cocky :P
________
Happiness is a solid. Joy is a liquid.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #35836, posted by moss at 17:32, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35834

Probably because I :handbag:gged mr cocky :P
Tsk :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kevin Wells Message #35845, posted by Revin Kevin at 19:06, 5/3/2003, in reply to message #35751
...the wonderful Omega of Oz. Well, Wakefield actually.

You could try my progs to see if they work.

There not much good but it will be nice to know.

[Edited by Revin Kevin at 19:06, 5/3/2003]

[Edited by Revin Kevin at 19:07, 5/3/2003]
________
I did not do it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #35880, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:27, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35799

I'm going armed with a floppy containing:

1. nbench (as used on drobe's iyonix benchmarks)
2. system (updated !system, for above)
3. sick
4. discspeed

I'm also tempted to put NetSurf on, but I want to leave some free space for saving various taskwindow outputs. :)

I bet I'm not allowed to use the floppy drive. :|

NB. If I can't get reasonable access to the Omega, I shall claim that I am a reporter from The Iconbar and demand immediate assistance!
/me awaits the results...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35885, posted by monkeyson2 at 09:26, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35818

I'll only be able to make cryptic allusions, just like everyone else who apparently knows stuff. :P
Unfortunately, it seems that this is the case! No joke! :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #35888, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:29, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35885

Tsk.

/me slaps MD with a :duck: :frown:

Will they notice if you post the results here rot13'd? ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #35889, posted by andypoole at 09:30, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35885
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Aww :(
________
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #35890, posted by diodesign at 09:33, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35885
diodesign
The Opposition

What a load of crap, could you drop me an email or post here explaining exactly what kind of ridiculous agreement they put you through? I think I'll phone MD today.

Chris. drobe. not happy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35892, posted by monkeyson2 at 09:42, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35890

Well, I talked to DA for quite a while, and mentioned that I was from the Iconbar (which is only fair - and I remember somebody from Drobe going to a club meeting and writing it up on their "commercial portal" without telling MD what they were doing, and I didn't want to make that mistake...).

DA said that he didn't talk to Drobe, or TIB, or Acorn User or Archive, or any of them. It was the policy. He said that everything he was saying was speaking totally personally, and to be aware of subdudacy (spelling?). He didn't say this in a nasty way, I think he's getting a bit paranoid about coverage, and he's totally sick with all these lies that people are just making up about them - he's particularly fed up with people making pronouncements about what is and isn't possible (such as ARMtwister) without even ringing them up to ask.

He said he was amazed by the number of readers to Newsdesk, but again, unhappy how everything he wrote was picked to bits on Usenet.

After speaking to him, I think that's all fair doo, and I respect his attitude. If people want to know what's going on, they can ring up and ask MD themselves.

Oh, and he asked me if I was Chris Williams...! :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #35893, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:44, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35892

:o

I guess that's OK then :|

And we all know that ARMtwister is powered by enslaved red squirrels - their original codename was NUTtwister :o ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35895, posted by monkeyson2 at 09:55, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35892

I can probably tell you what I saw though. Anyone from the Wakefield group could do that - and as the meeting was open to non members, what everybody heard and saw could be said here.

There were 3 Omegas, with production motherboards fitted with 306Mhz StrongARMs. They could be considered "base machines" - rather like the Risc PC 600 as it was - lots of scope for upgrades.

The three machines were running different versions of the FPGA soft hardware, to show how the development and upgrades can affect the speed of the computers. Note that the physical hardware was exactly the same, only the FPGA software was different.

One was a development system, with the latest development graphics and northbridge FPGAs. Another had intermediate software, and the third was "not up to production level". I only got the chance to play thoroughly with one, and I'm not sure which it was.

They've not shown anyone the production FPGA software yet - that's going to be kept a surprise for the final customers, and apparently will be even better.

Two of the machines had hard disc access of around 46MB/s, (or that could have been 4 to 6 MB/s, depending on what he said!). One had 60-70MB/sec. I had a play with !DiscSpeed, and it had some nice big numbers in the results.

Running FQuake, 640x480, averaged over 23fps.

The machines ran (and would be shipped with) RISC OS 4.03. Bootup time was less than 6 seconds, I reckon.

All the stuff is in the office basically waiting to go out the door. Much to DA's annoyance, there are "issues that have to be resolved". They're playing the long game, not the short game, so a few more weeks won't hurt. Only a handfull of people have cancelled.

The PCI stuff is done by MD, and is done in the Northbridge chip. Access to RISC OS is done via standard SWIs. All written by MD themselves - no GPL code.

USB 1.2 is on board, and they have a USB 2 PCI card. They'll be using the Simtec API, but USB drivers aren't ready for the Omega yet. Simtec's stack at the moment is tied to different hardware; the low level stuff needs to be rewritten.

Someone asked the question about sound. DA said, /with sarcasm/, that they had developed a video chip, a memory controller, a northbridge chip, a motherboard, and a UDMA hard drive controller - but sound was was just too much for them. :)

I also spoke to David Atkins privately, but I'm not going to discuss that here, for obvious reasons.

[slightly updated for clarity]

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 18:31, 7/3/2003]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #35897, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:00, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35833

Oh wow, that'd be great. :E
Well, I asked DA if he knew the chaps at Real Ingenuity. He said he hadn't had much to do with them, although they did meet at the Wakefield show. He wasn't really in the right position there to say about the deposits. One person has already rung MD - was that you?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #35898, posted by Phlamethrower at 10:04, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35895

All the stuff is in the office basically waiting to go out the door.
Good :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #35927, posted by ToiletDuck at 13:02, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35898
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
FQuake being the "Fast Quake" demo?
if so, what numbers do we get running on a SA RPC, Kinetic RPC, and Iy*nix?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #36016, posted by moss at 18:05, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35897

Well, I asked DA if he knew the chaps at Real Ingenuity. He said he hadn't had much to do with them, although they did meet at the Wakefield show. He wasn't really in the right position there to say about the deposits. One person has already rung MD - was that you?
No - I'm waiting for the old head of Real Ingenuity to do that for me. He should get back to be soon...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #36018, posted by moss at 18:07, 6/3/2003, in reply to message #35892

After speaking to him, I think that's all fair doo, and I respect his attitude. If people want to know what's going on, they can ring up and ask MD themselves.
I'm not impressed, I'm afraid. He'll *never* stop dodgy rumours, so he'd be better off getting his side of the story out there.

And his company would look so, so much better if he *did* talk to Drobe/TIB.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: We're off to see the Omega