Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: RiscDomain 4

RiscDomain 4
  monkeyson2 (01:26 18/12/2003)
  davidb (20:34 18/12/2003)
  alligataman (12:09 22/12/2003)
    thedoctor (22:15 23/12/2003)

Phil Mellor Message #48897, posted by monkeyson2 at 01:26, 18/12/2003
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Interesting reading the comments on Drobe about this issue. Here's the contents of the magazine as I received it:

News roundup - one news item about APDL/ProAction's distribution of Topologika titles.

RISC OS magazine showdown - four sentences, one for each major magazine (now out of date since the AU/AP/Qercus takeover)

VRPC - a short article discussing the situation in a reasonable manner - but not a review.

End of the line for the RPC - four paragraphs.

ArtWorks 2 - a decent four page review, although rather brief on the full features (speaking as someone who's never used AW before) and performance it discusses the package, installation and some of the latest bits. Reviewed by David Bradforth.

Mental Maths review - two pages. Published by Sherston, I think. Reviewed by Chris de Cordova.

Sleuth 3 review - originally published in RISC User magazine and reprinted unedited. Sleuth 3 is now published by APDL. Reviewed by Richard Lambley.

Rhapsody 4 review - originally published in RISC User magazine and reprinted unedited. Rhapsody 4 is now published by APDL. Reviewed by Andrew Rawnsley.

(Not sure how up to date the two reviews above will be - they won't take into account APDL's method of publishing/distribution, manuals and so on, nor any software updates after the reviews were published - no original dates given)

Descent 1 + 2 review. Reviewed by David Bradforth.

Competition - win PC/Mac software

Planning a page layout - reprinted from DTP Principles. By Richard Hallas.

Adverts - APDL, MW Software, APDL again, DTP Principles (c/o APDL), Zombinis (Mindscape UK Ltd - ?), Basic V book (APDL again), Virtual Acorn.

In total, 36 A5 photocopied pages. It also comes with DTP Principles, a 'fessionally produced A4 booklet (itself based upon a reworking of some RISC User articles). Note the duplication of the page layout section in RiscDomain itself.

Extra articles are promised via e-mail or web download soon, due to printing limitations and possibly the time to finish them off?

In my opinion, the independently written, original pieces are worth reading - but there's a lot that has been published elsewhere previously and some of the items are pointlessly brief. The DTP Principles booklet (not mentioned in the e-bay auction but bundled with the magazine anyway) makes up for the otherwise lack of content, but anyone who's got it already (and/or read RISC User) would be deservedly cheesed off.

I think something along these lines would be perfect to bundle with new computers, if more software houses can get involved so that a broader range of available software is made known to potential purchasers, and the production was of higher quality (proper printing, maybe some colour). I remember getting something like this with my A3010 (AU may have been involved with it) although it was fairly out of date even then.

Going off on a tandem for a moment - the Alligata Media logo looks very similar to that of Alligata Software who wrote Bug Blaster for the Electron, a game which I loved. Is there a relation between the two?

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 01:34, 18/12/2003]

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 02:26, 18/12/2003]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Boddie Message #48924, posted by davidb at 20:34, 18/12/2003, in reply to message #48897
Going off on a tandem for a moment
Who with? ;)

- the Alligata Media logo looks very similar to that of Alligata Software who wrote Bug Blaster for the Electron, a game which I loved. Is there a relation between the two?
I don't think so. I vaguely remember this being asked in an interview somewhere, perhaps on one of the emulation sites.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Bradforth Message #48967, posted by alligataman at 12:09, 22/12/2003, in reply to message #48897
When RISCDomain 4 was first put together, there was 64 pages covering all sorts of stuff. A small proportion of it was reprinted; but a large part of it was new original material put together from various sources.

Unfortunately, before I produced the masters for it I (oops) deleted the file containing it; and whilst I still have a PDF of the title I had no means of recreating it from that.

Hence manic work went into progress to recreate it; and it simply didnt all come together.

The electronic articles offered are; in fact; either a PDF of the full 64 page issue or a textual equivalent. There's a little more selection than in the printed title. If you want it, email the editor address from RISCdomain.

Oh and the similarity of the Alligata logos... I bought the Alligata logo from Superior Software; who own it. We are using Alligata Software to launch a range of software titles at some point in the new year; perhaps including some updates of earlier Alligata games; but for the meantime that's the only connection.

Merry Christmas one and all!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

fwibbler Message #49011, posted by fwibbler at 22:15, 23/12/2003, in reply to message #48967
fwibbler

Since you mention Superior software, what are the chances of a RISC OS version of Galaforce Worlds?
Cheers!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: RiscDomain 4