User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Games, eh?

Games, eh?
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #70730, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:44, 18/10/2005
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

The release dates for Quake IV and Black & White 2 seem to have crept up on me without me noticing :o

But they don't appear to be exciting enough for me to buy them :|

*goes to look for other stuff of (un)interest*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #70731, posted by rich at 07:21, 19/10/2005, in reply to message #70730
Rich
Dictator for life
^ This. I'm not buying another id software game until I know it's better than Doom III - and longer than Return to Castle Wolfenstein too.

As Christmas is coming there does seem to be a glut of games coming our RSN so you won't have to wait long for something else to take your fancy.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tim Fountain Message #70742, posted by alpha at 14:08, 19/10/2005, in reply to message #70731
Forum bod
Any decent RTS games on the horizon? Seems to be a bit of a lack of them unless I've missed something recent. I want a new C&C Generals type game.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70743, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:05, 19/10/2005, in reply to message #70742

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,543

Hmm.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70744, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:13, 19/10/2005, in reply to message #70743

http://pc.ign.com/objects/737/737992.html

Oooo.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70745, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:28, 19/10/2005, in reply to message #70744

Unknown release date? Poop!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70761, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:32, 19/10/2005, in reply to message #70745

Well, at least the lack of good games to buy is increasing the chances of me writing my own :) (Preferably finishing the ones I've started first :P)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #70791, posted by ilcook at 17:11, 20/10/2005, in reply to message #70761
trainResident idiot
Well, at least the lack of good games to buy is increasing the chances of me writing my own :) (Preferably finishing the ones I've started first :P)
Well get on with them then. :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #70792, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:55, 20/10/2005, in reply to message #70791

Well get on with them then. :E
I am doing :P

Just finished adding the (very simple) track & car select menus to the racing game.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #71927, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:06, 16/11/2005, in reply to message #70730

Darwinia, eh?

It's like some crazy cross between Spore, TRON, and Stargate. Might be worth looking into.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #71929, posted by [mentat] at 23:11, 16/11/2005, in reply to message #71927
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
Darwinia, eh?

It's like some crazy cross between Spore, TRON, and Stargate. Might be worth looking into.
Reminds me of that crazy old RISC OS game "Arcturus"...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #71930, posted by monkeyson2 at 23:46, 16/11/2005, in reply to message #71929
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Darwinia, eh?

Gah, another of my feeling-guilty-because-I-only-played-the-demo-and-never-bought-the-full-game anxieties!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Shaw Message #71932, posted by Hertzsprung at 09:05, 17/11/2005, in reply to message #71930
Hertzsprung
Ghost-like

Darwinia, eh?

Gah, another of my feeling-guilty-because-I-only-played-the-demo-and-never-bought-the-full-game anxieties!
I absolutely loved that ... demo. Any know who the authors were? I'm sure they'd be happy to release it as abadonware ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #71933, posted by Phlamethrower at 10:37, 17/11/2005, in reply to message #71932

Darwinia, eh?

And some elements of Populous :)

A demo

I absolutely loved that ... demo. Any know who the authors were? I'm sure they'd be happy to release it as abadonware ;)
I never completed the demo, hence not buying the full game :o

Written by Thomas Alber, an Armaxess Production, published by Oregan. I suspect that Oregan still hold the rights to it, considering that it says (c) Oregan & everything :o

As a rough guess I'd say this is him.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #72298, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:33, 1/12/2005, in reply to message #70730

*downloads Quake IV demo, just in case it is good*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #72300, posted by rich at 15:15, 1/12/2005, in reply to message #72298
Rich
Dictator for life
*downloads Quake IV demo, just in case it is good*
Nope - it's Doom III with a different level set. Only two weapons have torches - better than none, but still feckin' ridiculous when you're standing there with a rocket launcher, switch the torch on, and find you're now holding an empty SMG. Which is empty because, apart from the even more useless pistol, it's the only weapon that allows you to shoot in the pitch dark levels. F.E.A.R. had a head-mounted light, and that's set modern day - did IQs drop suddenly during the intervening years? And don't get me started about the difference between the enemy AI in those two games.

OK - so not all Quake 4 is indoors in the dark. They also rip off the ending of Halo and the Half-Life 2 hoverboat scenes. I got to one of the end-of-level bosses, got caned, and realised I really couldn't give enough of a shit to try again. Given the length of their recent titles it could have been the final boss - but I couldn't care enough to find out.

I played a hookie copy of Q4 for a while to see if Doom III was just a blip, but nope. You remember playing non-id FPS games and feeling slightly cheated by it, because it was blatantly a rip-off of better games? That's now id's output - Return to Castle Wolfenstein was good but too short; Doom 3 was OK to look at (when you could actually see) but had nothing else going for it (AI, useful torch, level design); Quake 4, see Doom 3. They just design game engines and put out demos, for which we pay them full game prices. Pah.

So no, IMHO it's not good.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #72301, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:55, 1/12/2005, in reply to message #72300

Well, the quake 4 demo doesn't seem too bad, apart from the length. I actually died! :P

Although that was only because I thought the shotgun would be better than the SMG, becaue it goes in a higher weapon slot. Shotgun = crap.

Nailgun seems fairly crap too, too inaccurate and a distinct lack of torch :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #72302, posted by rich at 17:15, 1/12/2005, in reply to message #72301
Rich
Dictator for life
I found the full thing quite samey after a while. And you don't have to clear certain areas, so I found myself just getting bored and driving off.

Battle at start? Better in Call of Duty (Stalingrad mission). Driving at speed? Halo or Far-Cry. Wandering down corridors? Pretty much anything, including Half-Life 1!

Maybe it's not that bad - I'm just pissed because id used to be a by-word in quality gaming, now they're a hollow imitation of their former selves. All I know is I've played better. A lot better.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #72303, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:54, 1/12/2005, in reply to message #72302

You remember playing non-id FPS games and feeling slightly cheated by it, because it was blatantly a rip-off of better games?
Not really - despite my obviously uber skills I don't actually own a high number of FPS games :P

And the ones I do own (bar AvP 2 and Doom 3) are all top-notch. AvP 2 gets good multiplayer though, so that's still doing better than Doom 3 for replayability (Having said that, I haven't tried Doom 3 MP yet, but I suspect it won't offer anything better than MP in any other games).

I haven't played that many FPS demos either, or had any reason to, since the games I own have been good enough to keep me going.

I found the full thing quite samey after a while.
I think I'd be more worried about the length of the game and the difficulty than by the sameyness. Although if a short game can feel samey then there must be something wrong :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #72304, posted by andypoole at 17:58, 1/12/2005, in reply to message #72303
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Speaking of games..

*downloads Call of Duty 2 demo*...

*waits...*

[time passes]

*waits some more...*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #72307, posted by andypoole at 20:36, 1/12/2005, in reply to message #72304
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Speaking of games..

*downloads Call of Duty 2 demo*...

*waits...*

[time passes]

*waits some more...*
Well that was good.. Until I died :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #73577, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:04, 18/1/2006, in reply to message #72307

Comedic zombie rampages, eh?

Sounds like Blood :)

However:

Also, even though the game is an eight hour single player experience at most, the gameplay does grow stale by the end.
:cry:

Why can't people learn how to create games that last a decent amount of time??
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #73578, posted by moss at 06:46, 18/1/2006, in reply to message #73577

Final Fantasy games last ages :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #73579, posted by monkeyson2 at 09:15, 18/1/2006, in reply to message #73578
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Most games last ages for me, because I'm RUBBISH at them. :P

I like games where you can take time out from getting shot/eaten/deaded and look at the scenery and soak up the plot. :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #73583, posted by rich at 10:17, 18/1/2006, in reply to message #73579
Rich
Dictator for life

I like games where you can take time out from getting shot/eaten/deaded and look at the scenery and soak up the plot. :)
Far Cry. If you have a good enough graphics card - well, I spent ages taking "photos" of the scenery. It even has parrots.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #73595, posted by ksattic at 19:00, 18/1/2006, in reply to message #70730
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

The release dates for Quake IV and Black & White 2 seem to have crept up on me without me noticing :o

But they don't appear to be exciting enough for me to buy them :|
They don't seem to be exciting enough for me to *buy a whole new computer for*. :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #73672, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:46, 22/1/2006, in reply to message #73577

Comedic zombie rampages, eh?

Sounds like Blood :)
Well, the demo is fun, but the engine runs like shite.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #75285, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:00, 7/5/2006, in reply to message #73672

:drool: BioShock :drool:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #75288, posted by andrew at 14:11, 7/5/2006, in reply to message #73579
HandbagHandbag Boi

I agree. What happened to those adventure games that were reported on Acorn Arcade recently? Yet another stalled attempt?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #97010, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:08, 11/1/2007, in reply to message #75288

Hellgate: London this summer. Yay!

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/753/753525p1.html
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (6): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Games, eh?