Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Games, eh?

Games, eh?
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #103649, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:41, 28/7/2007, in reply to message #75285
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Drool BioShock Drool
Under a month to go! Woooooo!

*starts wondering what things he can delete to get enough disc space tongue*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #103650, posted by rich at 12:45, 28/7/2007, in reply to message #103649
Rich
Dictator for life
In the next few months:

Bioshock
Crysis
Hellgate London
Stranglehold
Supreme Commander going Steam-ified, and just in time for the new upgrade that completely re-writes the AI.

That's without venturing away from the PC.

Just buy a bigger hard drive.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103651, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:22, 28/7/2007, in reply to message #103650

Yes, that's probably the most sensible option. And a computer shop which used to be around 10 minutes walk away has recently moved to be within 5 minutes walking distance. Yay!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103760, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:23, 6/8/2007, in reply to message #103650

Hellgate London
Now announced for November 4th (ish). Woo!

*resumes waiting for the id Tech5 video to load*

[edit]

Hmm, looks like they're working on a Carmageddon-esque postapocalyptic vehicular racing/combat zombiefest game.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 20:40, 6/8/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103875, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:45, 11/8/2007, in reply to message #103651

Yes, that's probably the most sensible option. And a computer shop which used to be around 10 minutes walk away has recently moved to be within 5 minutes walking distance. Yay!
No new RAM or CPU that I wanted, but they did have the hard disc. (which is probably good, because anything extra would probably melt my PSU).

Now to once again try and decide how large the partitions should be. And then try and remember what I did to convince Windows to boot from the new disk last time I upgraded unhappy

Anyone know of any bootable Linux CDs which make the whole copy-data-and-convince-Windows-to-boot process easier?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103877, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:12, 11/8/2007, in reply to message #103875

Anyone know of any bootable Linux CDs which make the whole copy-data-and-convince-Windows-to-boot process easier?
Looks like GParted will do the trick.

*resumes pondering partition sizes*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #103880, posted by rich at 17:43, 11/8/2007, in reply to message #103877
Rich
Dictator for life
Why boot from the new disk? Why not just add a second drive?
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103882, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:19, 11/8/2007, in reply to message #103880

Why boot from the new disk? Why not just add a second drive?
Good point tongue

Initially I was planning on using the old HD for backups of my machines, and (potentially) any large files should I run out of space elsewhere. And potentially as an emergency replacement disk should one die horribly.

But I guess there's nothing stopping me from moving Harry1 onto the new disk, extending Dick2 (f'nar) to fill the ~180GB newly freed space, and leaving Tom3 alone (since it currently has a comfortable 4GB spare). Unless I record a stupid amount of TV/FRAPS, there should still be plenty of space on Harry for backups. Plus since I'll be FRAPsing to a completely different drive to everything else, the quality should stay pretty constant even if the game decides to load some data from disk.

Thanks for making me see sense smile

*goes off to start work on making his Dick bigger*

1 - AKA the "TV and FRAPS and other big files" partition
2 - AKA the "new games and programs" partition
3 - AKA the "Windows and older games/programs" partiton
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #103895, posted by rich at 23:15, 11/8/2007, in reply to message #103882
Rich
Dictator for life
Tom, Dick and Harry? Pah, how unoriginal. My old drives were Dante and Inferno, although the machine they were in was called Sunnydale and used to have a drive called Hellmouth, so I can't claim to be that high falutin'.

Now my games machine is called Dominator, but that's more because it's feckin' huge and takes up half the room than bragging about my prowess on the virtual battlefield.

The backup/file server that used to be my games machine is called backup. And fileserver. Apache makes it quite plain that it's none too pleased about this split personality, and Samba generally has to be done by IP address too. At least backup.richardgoodwin.net works as both a name and an imperative.

My laptops tend to be named after women (or goddesses), in the hope that they'd be nice. Every one's been a temperamental bitch. That's why the N770 is called "Rich's N770", or "10.0.0.77".

My old Acorn network were named after great generals, or at least ones with names less than 10 characters. My Dad was a Napoleonic wargamer, so he got Napoleon, although his PC got called Solo (which requires knowledge of 60s TV spy shows to be funny).

Edit: Oh yeah, and my ArgoNet machines were called Trinity, Neo and Morpheus. Trinity was the Risc PC (Trinity being the RISC OS font), Neo was the replacement (New) Linux server, and Morpheus, well, it just finished off the threesome better than "Dozer" or "Switch".

Back on topic - I just ordered Bioshock (because it's gone gold and I hadn't bothered before), and Crysis comes out next month too (been on order a while). I think I have about 500GB free on my games machine now, hope it's enough wink
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103896, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:22, 11/8/2007, in reply to message #103895

Tom, Dick and Harry? Pah, how unoriginal.
I had one called Mr. Teeney once. TAKE THAT.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104348, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:02, 7/9/2007, in reply to message #103650

In the next few months:

Bioshock
Crysis
Hellgate London
Stranglehold
Supreme Commander going Steam-ified, and just in time for the new upgrade that completely re-writes the AI.

That's without venturing away from the PC.
Jerhico looks like it could be worth a look too shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #104362, posted by filecore at 08:22, 9/9/2007, in reply to message #104348

My hard drives all have exciting names like "System", "Data", "300GB A", "300GB B", "500GB", "40GB USB", and so on. That last one is an old laptop drive in a USB case. My machines don't tend to have names.

As far as gaming goes, I've just finished C&C 3 - Tiberium Wars, and it's pretty good. However, the skirmish mode is beginning to get dull and I'm considering going back to Generals for the ability to build multiple WMDs.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #104387, posted by Loris at 12:23, 12/9/2007, in reply to message #104362
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
I call my wife's PC Pizacrap, does that count?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104391, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:18, 12/9/2007, in reply to message #104387

Orange Box pre-order = 10% off + TF2 beta test + free puzzle game thingy. Wayhey!

I don't really care much about the TF2 beta test since I've got too many other things to do/play at the moment, but the 10% off offer is obviously worth it just by itself.

[edit]

It's certainly an odd pricing scheme that Steam is using - the fact that box sets are about 3 times cheaper than buying everything individually. Even if you end up buying duplicates of games you already own, it's likely to end up cheaper. I think this is some kind of strange marketing ploy - something about how people will see how much of a massive saving the boxset is, and instantly want to buy it more because they think they're saving a lot of money - even though they're basically re-buying half of what they already own. If the titles they already own weren't in the list, they'd technically only have to pay half as much (assuming that each component in the package is reduced in price by the same percentage).

But, still.

*places pre-order*

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 20:36, 12/9/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #104393, posted by filecore at 08:03, 13/9/2007, in reply to message #104391

Well, I have a legal, boxed copy of HL1, a copy of HL2, a legal, boxed copy of Ep1, and at about 20 euros a pop, I'm just going to buy a legal, boxed copy of Ep2 whenever it comes out. That said, I did see a box set of HL1, HL2 and Ep1 for 25 euros in a shop (given that I paid 20 euros for Ep1 alone) - sometimes it's cheaper just to wait a bit...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104438, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:00, 15/9/2007, in reply to message #104393

This Peggle thing is quite fun and non-girlie for a game featuring unicorns and rainbows.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #104439, posted by andypoole at 22:42, 15/9/2007, in reply to message #104438
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

This Peggle thing is quite fun and non-girlie for a game featuring unicorns and rainbows.
shock

I haven't tried it yet.. Been preoccupied with Super Paper Mario instead.

Best line so far: "404 computer hamsters not found!"
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104455, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:13, 17/9/2007, in reply to message #104439

I now appear to be excited about the TF2 beta.

Anyone going to be playing tonight?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #104456, posted by andypoole at 18:44, 17/9/2007, in reply to message #104455
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

I now appear to be excited about the TF2 beta.

Anyone going to be playing tonight?
I might have a go when I get back later on, depending how I'm feeling
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104459, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:18, 17/9/2007, in reply to message #104456

No need to rush back home yet - TF2 is still showing as "unreleased", the Steam settings page doesn't show there being any beta programs to take part in, and the Steam website forums are (predictably) down.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104464, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:51, 17/9/2007, in reply to message #104459

Updateroo, after waiting "a while" for the TF2 forums to load:

DigiQ8: So we in the HL2net steam channel are wondering, when you guys gonna unlock TF2? What time exactly?
Greg: Late in the day. We're not saying an exact time, unfortunately.

DigiQ8: So no 12AM release?
Greg: No - late in the day.
So probably easiest to wait until tomorrow.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104472, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:25, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104464

In the brief plays of TF2 I've had inbetween it crashing, I've so far concluded that TF2 = TFC + new graphics/sound - grenades. There are of course some other weapon/balance changes as well (including the re-introduction of teleporters from Quake TF (IIRC)), but basically it's the same game, played on (mostly) the same maps, except with new graphics and sound, and a lot less grenades. Which is, altogether, both a good thing and a bad thing.

But they have fixed the pyro so he can actually kill things. Yay!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #104486, posted by rich at 15:26, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104391
Rich
Dictator for life
I thought about buying the Orange Box, but the only thing I'm really interested in that I don't already own is HL2 Episode 2. I could be persuaded to play some TF2, but I'm not bothered about Portal at all.

So, I want something costing $29.95, so either I'd be paying nearly double what I need to spend, or saving ~$10 if I play TF2.

But I don't get the option of pre-ordering Ep2 on its own. So I might as well wait until it's $19.95 like Ep1 is and save even more wink
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104488, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:43, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104486

Portal looks like it should be fun - as long as it isn't designed so that any idiot can complete it. I think there are meant to be some hard bits, but I haven't really paid any attention to any previews to be certain of that.

(Sidenote: There's a game I've been thinking about writing for a while. Portal may fulfill my desire for the type of gameplay that I'm after - or, the changes that have been made to the Source engine to support portals may allow me to write the game myself as a simple mod. And strangely enough, the game could also work well if written as a text adventure, or made using a simple 2D/isometric engine. There are still some issues I have with the design (however I choose to implement it), so if anyone feels like providing their 2p then give me a shout and I shall spill the beans.)

And since Fortress Forever has just been released, you don't have much reason to buy TF2 if you want to play TF on Source.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #104491, posted by andypoole at 18:46, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104488
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Yeah, I'm quite looking forward to playing Portal. Looks fun.

Ep2 is what I'm most interested in, since it continues where I left off in Ep1.

TF2 is something I've not played properly yet. It wouldn't find any servers to play on earlier for some reason.

Peggle Extreme is a surprisingly addictive little freebie. How well unicorns, headcrabs and rainbows go together.

Incidentally, I just added both rich and phlamethrower to my steam friends list. Anyone else want to post your steam names and maybe we can get a game of <insert your favourite steam game here> going at some point. My steam name is "andypoole"..
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #104493, posted by rich at 18:53, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104491
Rich
Dictator for life
I just received your invitation. It seems the Steam community needs a bit more work, as it said it couldn't process my request to accept the invitation - but obviously it did it anyway.

This is on top of completely buggering up the Steam client until I deleted a .dll and my login details, but that was probably the beta (making this, what - gamma quality? wink)

BTW - you're showing up as acp, not andypoole...?
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104494, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:53, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104491

and maybe we can get a game of <insert your favourite steam game here> going at some point. My steam name is "andypoole"..
I was wondering about that, now that the friends thing is (edit: allegedly) finally working. I shall remember to add you both tonight.

I bought the full version of Peggle - if you're any good at the 'demo' then you can complete the main levels in about 2-3 hours - they aren't that hard. But there are 75 master challenges (or grand master challenges, whatever they call them), which should take several weeks of casual gameplay to complete. Not bad for £6.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 18:54, 20/9/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #104496, posted by andypoole at 19:08, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104493
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

BTW - you're showing up as acp, not andypoole...?
Yes, I do that. andypoole *is* my username, but I use "acp" as the alias smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #104497, posted by rich at 19:23, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104496
Rich
Dictator for life
Errr... alias? what alias?
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
screenshot.png 856x487 69.9KB
screenshot.png
856x487
69.9KB
screenshot2.png 841x261 28.4KB
screenshot2....
841x261
28.4KB

^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #104501, posted by rich at 20:28, 20/9/2007, in reply to message #104497
Rich
Dictator for life
Anyone want to play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (Demo)? It's free smile
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (6): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Games, eh?