Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Coming soon...

Coming soon...
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #76741, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:43, 18/6/2006
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Project management, Phlamey style!

Leading to... more regular releases of stuff due to automated packaging & uploadinging!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #76744, posted by VincceH at 16:56, 18/6/2006, in reply to message #76741
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Leading to... more regular releases of stuff due to automated packaging & uploadinging!
Project management? Automated packaging and uploading? These two sound more interesting than the more general description of "stuff". :)

Obviously, I also immediately think of RiscPKG and wonder if what you've done/are doing can be beneficial to that in any way?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #76745, posted by ilcook at 17:39, 18/6/2006, in reply to message #76741
trainResident idiot

:flyingpig:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76746, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:04, 18/6/2006, in reply to message #76744

Obviously, I also immediately think of RiscPKG and wonder if what you've done/are doing can be beneficial to that in any way?
I'd forgotten that even existed :blush:

But yeah, I think it could quite easily compliment RiscPKG.

The basic operation of my management thingy is as follows:
* Examine a project to see if it's changed. If it's not changed, do nothing, else...
* Package it
* Upload it to your website
* Perform any other post-release events - update web pages with release notes, update link repositories, etc.

The entire system will be very flexible and user-expandable, so (with the right plugin) you can make it do practically whatever you want.

I'm trying to write the basic framework using Obey files, with data about the current project stored in system variables. This means that different scripts to examine projects, package/upload, etc. can be written in practically any language you want, which is where all the flexibility will come from. There are likely to be some error handling issues resulting from using Obey files so much, but the development time for getting a working system is a lot shorter. I can always migrate the core to another language if Obey files become a real problem.

I suppose describing it as project management was a bit inappropriate, but it will greatly simplify the task of packaging, uploading and publishing your work.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76747, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:06, 18/6/2006, in reply to message #76745

:shotgun:

... :(

:flamethrower:

:devil:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #76750, posted by ilcook at 19:25, 18/6/2006, in reply to message #76747
trainResident idiot

:shotgun:

... :(

:flamethrower:

:devil:
|train| :flamethrower:

:naughty:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76752, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:47, 18/6/2006, in reply to message #76750

|train| :flamethrower:

:naughty:
Hmmm...

:moss::moss:
:ro4::ro4:
:cog: |omega|:arc:|omega| :cog:
:tardis:|omega|:tardis:|omega||omega||omega||omega|:tardis:|omega|:tardis:
|omega| |omega|:tardis:|omega||omega|:tardis:|omega| |omega|
:tardis: |omega||omega||omega|:tardis:|omega||omega||omega| :tardis:
:tardis: :tardis::tardis::tardis::tardis: :tardis:
:sparky: |omega||omega| |omega||omega| :sparky:
|omega| |omega|
:tardis: :tardis:
|omega| |omega|
:tardis: :tardis:
:moss::moss: :moss::moss: ...---> |train|

B)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76759, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:10, 18/6/2006, in reply to message #76752

Note: This may be delayed a bit as I am now installing Hitman: Blood Money :drool:

But in a related note, it appears you can get Hitman for your mobile as a 2D isometric game. I've no ideea how well the gameplay translates, but if such a game were to be written for RISC OS.... :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #76760, posted by andypoole at 23:34, 18/6/2006, in reply to message #76759
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Note: This may be delayed a bit as I am now installing Hitman: Blood Money :drool:

But in a related note, it appears you can get Hitman for your mobile as a 2D isometric game. I've no ideea how well the gameplay translates, but if such a game were to be written for RISC OS.... :o
Get on with it, then! :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76782, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:50, 20/6/2006, in reply to message #76760

Yay! it works (The project thingy, not the hitman clone :P)

At the moment it will identify if a project has changed, copy the right files, and update the status file. It would also create the zip file, but the only command line zip tools I have at my disposal appear to be completely retarded and don't allow me to use wildcards or zip a folder.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76783, posted by Phlamethrower at 02:09, 20/6/2006, in reply to message #76782

Zipping is working!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76784, posted by Phlamethrower at 02:46, 20/6/2006, in reply to message #76783

FTPing should also be working now, but I don't have any way of testing it :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #76787, posted by rich at 08:34, 20/6/2006, in reply to message #76784
Rich
Dictator for life
Why not? Don't you have FTP space on this server?
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76789, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:09, 20/6/2006, in reply to message #76787

Yes - but my RiscPC still doesn't have direct access to the net :P I'll cobble together some relay thing in PHP.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #76792, posted by rich at 10:00, 20/6/2006, in reply to message #76789
Rich
Dictator for life
Yes - but my RiscPC still doesn't have direct access to the net :P I'll cobble together some relay thing in PHP.
Or just get your RPC working properly :P
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #76793, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:14, 20/6/2006, in reply to message #76792
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Or run a local FTP server:

http://www.rosery.net/riscos/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76794, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:36, 20/6/2006, in reply to message #76793

Or just get your RPC working properly :P
It does work properly!

Intel's motherboard manufacturing department, on the other hand, does not.

Or run a local FTP server:

http://www.rosery.net/riscos/
I've used that in the past with mixed success for downloading stuff onto the PC. However last night when I tried it with FTPc it didn't want to work :( I'll give it another poke, since the website claims it does work.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76811, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:44, 21/6/2006, in reply to message #76794

I've used that in the past with mixed success for downloading stuff onto the PC. However last night when I tried it with FTPc it didn't want to work :( I'll give it another poke, since the website claims it does work.
Nope :cry:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #76830, posted by richcheng at 11:19, 21/6/2006, in reply to message #76811

Nope :cry:
I couldn't make it work, either.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #76993, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:20, 24/6/2006, in reply to message #76830

Woo! I have an NFS server working on Windows.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #77470, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:56, 9/7/2006, in reply to message #76993

Right, let's see if this works.

*presses the shiny red button*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #77471, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:59, 9/7/2006, in reply to message #77470

ProJect: RFTP: Test: Using archive <ProJect$PJ$Archive>
Unknown or missing variable at line 22
Bumholes!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #77472, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:04, 9/7/2006, in reply to message #77471

*tries again*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #77473, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:09, 9/7/2006, in reply to message #77472

Hmm, getting closer.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #77474, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:26, 9/7/2006, in reply to message #77473

Well, I guess that isn't possible, then.

Bah! Now NFS is broken.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 23:29, 9/7/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #77476, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:52, 9/7/2006, in reply to message #76741

Current status is that it can detect when a project has changed, package it, 'upload' it via NFS to the PC, and copy the archive to the right place in the development copy of my website. But my plan of uploading by executing commands over telnet is failing because the windows FTP client doesn't like the telnet server I'm using :cry:

[edit]

I guess I'll shift some of the burden onto Apache.

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.ftp-put.php

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 23:59, 9/7/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #77479, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:17, 10/7/2006, in reply to message #77476

Yay! It works.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #77520, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:29, 10/7/2006, in reply to message #77479

*shinies up some more stuff*

Hmm, having three upload scripts is a bit ugly. What I need to do is rewrite the BASIC script (that generates the telnet script) to also generate the PHP script that the telnet script calls (OK, I could call it directly, but copying the files around on the PC using telnet is quicker than NFS).

AND I shall make it a bi-quine, because I'm in one of those moods.

Plus, a project management system which actively uses bi-quines is clearly the best system in the world.

(I could also make the telnet script generate the PHP script, but that would be counter productive as my quick hack of a telnet script executor only sends the next line two seconds after the last data was received from the server)

[edit]

Actually I can't be bothered making the bi-quine. Maybe tomorrow :P

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 23:29, 10/7/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #78255, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:45, 30/7/2006, in reply to message #77520

Bah! I still can't use FTPc for it, because it doesn't like the fact my program runs from a task window :(

[edit]

And it still doesn't work if I don't use a task window!

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 14:54, 30/7/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #78442, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:31, 8/8/2006, in reply to message #78255

And it still doesn't work if I don't use a task window!
I have been shown the error of my ways. Hurrah!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Coming soon...