User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: The Official Zaurus Thread RAWR!

The Official Zaurus Thread RAWR!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #81532, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:28, 20/10/2006, in reply to message #81531
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Using the handwriting reckognition obviously requires some practice, then.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81534, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:01, 20/10/2006, in reply to message #81532

I can't get it to mount the nfs exports on my pc :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81537, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:10, 20/10/2006, in reply to message #81534

And worse than that - I can't find a copy of nethack that works!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #81540, posted by VincceH at 02:08, 21/10/2006, in reply to message #81532
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Using the handwriting reckognition obviously requires some practice, then.
I had fun with the handwriting recognition on my Mio, which I commented about here.

[Edited by VincceH at 03:10, 21/10/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81555, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:07, 21/10/2006, in reply to message #81534

I can't get it to mount the nfs exports on my pc :(
moonfish on RO works :D

I can stream video from my iyonix to it! (with much difficukty, I might add)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81556, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:51, 21/10/2006, in reply to message #81555

You can also try QuakeII
... :o

Apart from the author's insanity, this site has tons of info about getting software running on the zaurus. yay!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81559, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:09, 21/10/2006, in reply to message #81556

And is it me, or has flash memory become obnoxiously cheap all of a sudden?

linky
Suddenly, the fact that I didn't spend £100 extra to buy a Zaurus with a builtin HDD doesn't seem so bad.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 20:53, 23/10/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81560, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:26, 21/10/2006, in reply to message #81377

This Zaurus thingy looks pretty promising, however. Keep us posted!
Do you want to know my verdict now, or can you wait for the full review? (Which will accompany the top-secret TIB relaunch, at some indeterminate time in the future, but probably after figlab's special offers have finished).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #81575, posted by richcheng at 16:55, 22/10/2006, in reply to message #81560

This Zaurus thingy looks pretty promising, however. Keep us posted!
Do you want to know my verdict now, or can you wait for the full review? (Which will accompany the top-secret TIB relaunch, at some indeterminate time in the future, but probably after figlab's special offers have finished).
Now please!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81576, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:20, 22/10/2006, in reply to message #81575

So far, I have this to say:

If you want to use it as a regular PDA/palmtop (i.e. sticking to the installed software), it's fantastic (Not that I've really used any of the installed software yet).

If you're not afraid of Linux, then the Zaurus could probably be classed as "absolute sex", because you can do practically anything with it.

However if you're afraid of linux, and want to install extra software, then things might get a little tricky. There are numerous sites with software available to download, but they're full of dead links, and working out the prerequisites for some software isn't exactly easy. If software doesn't want to run then it seems to just fail silently instead of giving an error message. You may get some more info if you launch it from the command line, but if you're a linuxophobe/linux newbie then you might not even be able to find where the software was installed.

At the moment my main concern is how to transfer files. If you've got wifi then the Zaurus should be able to mount drives held on any computer (Although I'm yet to successfully mount a drive from my Windows PC - I think I disabled some networking components shortly after installing Windows, and that could be causing the problems). The Zaurus is supplied with a Samba server, so you can mount its drives from anything with a Samba compatible client. You could probably install NFS on it and use that to share stuff to RISC OS if needed.

However if you don't have wifi, (and don't have a CF/SD card reader), you'll have to use USB, which is where things get a bit tricky. You can set the Zaurus to act as a mass storage device, but it is confirmed as buggy and unreliable and I've been unable to get it to work on any machine. If you've got a PC you can use the USB link to sync the PIM applications with outlook, or you can use TCP/IP over USB to allow you to use all the above file sharing methods. This should work with Windows/Linux/Mac (And possibly RISC OS), but it may require a certain degree of tweaking if you want the Zaurus to be able to communicate with anything other than the machine it's connected to.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81591, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:23, 22/10/2006, in reply to message #81525

or the adaptor is really shit and has burnt itself out.
Speaking of which...

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 20:24, 22/10/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81658, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:19, 23/10/2006, in reply to message #81591

Yay! Masterplug. I should even be able to use this to power my old psion.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #81698, posted by richcheng at 11:46, 24/10/2006, in reply to message #81576

This is Unix! I know Unix!

I want one.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81700, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:00, 24/10/2006, in reply to message #81698

I know Unix!
Yay!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81713, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:53, 24/10/2006, in reply to message #81700

I managed to install a console version of nethack!

Playing without a numeric keypad is hard, and I need to fix the settings to enable colour etc. :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #81733, posted by richcheng at 10:32, 25/10/2006, in reply to message #81713

I managed to install a console version of nethack!

Playing without a numeric keypad is hard, and I need to fix the settings to enable colour etc. :(
Surely you can just use roguelike keybindings! hjklyubnraaawwrr!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81737, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:48, 25/10/2006, in reply to message #81733

Yes. But I've always used the number pad in the past :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #81739, posted by richcheng at 12:57, 25/10/2006, in reply to message #81737

Wuss!

me too
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81743, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:23, 25/10/2006, in reply to message #81739

I got the VNC client working. Yay!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81744, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:34, 25/10/2006, in reply to message #81743

...and as I suspected, I appear to have disabled netbios on my PC.

*and* I'd set my firewall to block it.

Now I just have to work out what password it wants me to enter when I try connecting to the drive :|

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 00:01, 26/10/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81745, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:26, 25/10/2006, in reply to message #81744

session setup failed: ERRHRD - ERRgeneral (General failure.)
Even Google doesn't know how to solve that one :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #81819, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:44, 27/10/2006, in reply to message #81745

the console port of nethack doesn't seem to work in colour :(

[234 messages expunged from folder "INBOX"]
...but I can now access my email without running out of memory :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #96530, posted by richcheng at 10:52, 3/1/2007, in reply to message #81819

Mine is here! And delightfully sexy.

It will be charged at 6:15pm, in time for me to get the train home! Yay!

I regard this as the one true zaurus thread. That "comments on the news article" thread is a pathetic imposter.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #96531, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:06, 3/1/2007, in reply to message #96530

What one did you go for?

In my experience, the biggest battery drain is (of course) wifi. With the wifi card they supplied, the battery only lasts around 3-4 hours. It does, thankfully, seem to last a lot longer if you don't use wifi (Between 10 and 20 hours at a rough guess, with the backlight on the lowest setting). But I seem to use wifi a lot :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #96532, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:14, 3/1/2007, in reply to message #96531

Also: handwriting recognition isn't quite as bad as it first appeared. If you open the handwriting input thing and tap the ? it has a training option to let you see how to draw each letter. And if you don't like the defaults, you can tap the pencil icon and add your own.

Although handwriting recognition isn't my thing, the good news is that, unlike my old Psion, the touch screen is actually fast enough to react to stylus movements properly :P

Don't hesitate to poke me if you get stuck with anything.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #96537, posted by VincceH at 12:28, 3/1/2007, in reply to message #96532
VincceH

Also: handwriting recognition isn't quite as bad as it first appeared.
After getting my MIO168 PDA a couple of years ago, mainly for GPS use when off-roading, I devised a fairly good handwriting recognition test when I noticed it was getting something wrong.

<googles>

Ah yes, here it is: The PDA Cunt Test
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #96539, posted by richcheng at 12:52, 3/1/2007, in reply to message #96531

What one did you go for?
The SL-C3200. Once I decide I want something, I have this bizarre pathalogical aversion to buying anything other than the top-of-the-range model of anything. This is also why I have a TomTom Go 910 when a TomTom GO 510 would have suited my needs just as well.
In my experience, the biggest battery drain is (of course) wifi. With the wifi card they supplied, the battery only lasts around 3-4 hours. It does, thankfully, seem to last a lot longer if you don't use wifi (Between 10 and 20 hours at a rough guess, with the backlight on the lowest setting). But I seem to use wifi a lot :(
I think the vast majority of mine's use will be under wifi. That probably depends on how optimised you can get your ArcEm JIT implementation, though ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #96540, posted by richcheng at 12:53, 3/1/2007, in reply to message #96532

Also: handwriting recognition isn't quite as bad as it first appeared. If you open the handwriting input thing and tap the ? it has a training option to let you see how to draw each letter. And if you don't like the defaults, you can tap the pencil icon and add your own.

Although handwriting recognition isn't my thing, the good news is that, unlike my old Psion, the touch screen is actually fast enough to react to stylus movements properly :P

Don't hesitate to poke me if you get stuck with anything.
Top tip! Thanks!

And I absolutely will. You can count on it :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #96546, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:59, 3/1/2007, in reply to message #96537

Also: handwriting recognition isn't quite as bad as it first appeared.
After getting my MIO168 PDA a couple of years ago, mainly for GPS use when off-roading, I devised a fairly good handwriting recognition test when I noticed it was getting something wrong.

<googles>

Ah yes, here it is: The PDA Cunt Test
Yes, as you've mentioned before :)

I appear to be quite proficient at cursing using the handwriting recognition.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #96551, posted by VincceH at 14:57, 3/1/2007, in reply to message #96546
VincceH

Ah yes, here it is:
Yes, as you've mentioned before :)
<searches>

Oh yeah - and it even appears on the same page of comments.

I think I've done something like that before, as well. :)

I appear to be quite proficient at cursing using the handwriting recognition.
I rarely bother to use it - in fact, the only times I can think of where I do attempt to 'write' into a PDA is when I have a delivery to sign for, and then the result barely resembles my normal sig. :o

I was watching my niece use hers on MSN, and she was quite adept at it. :|

[Edited by VincceH at 15:00, 3/1/2007]

[Edited by VincceH at 15:00, 3/1/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: The Official Zaurus Thread RAWR!