User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Islands

Islands
  Chris (15:15 19/10/2006)
  Revin Kevin (16:15 19/10/2006)
    Chris (22:16 19/10/2006)
  tlsa (00:02 21/10/2006)
    Chris (01:02 21/10/2006)
      tlsa (13:14 21/10/2006)
        blasts of the xtre (13:45 21/10/2006)
        Chris (00:10 22/10/2006)
  blasts of the xtre (09:24 22/10/2006)
    Chris (13:09 22/10/2006)
      Chris (17:02 22/10/2006)
        Lampi (15:37 23/10/2006)
          Chris (16:57 23/10/2006)
            Lampi (17:16 24/10/2006)
              Chris (19:58 24/10/2006)
                Lampi (17:20 25/10/2006)
                  Chris (16:30 7/11/2006)
                    Lampi (16:10 16/11/2006)
                      Chris (21:42 16/11/2006)

Chris Message #81470, posted by Chris at 15:15, 19/10/2006
Could anyone with a spare five minutes download Islands from lym.iconbar.com please? I'd like some feedback before I try and finish it off. In particular:

- Does it work? Any bugs?
- How's the sound (I can't test this, as my A9 has no sound atm!)
- How's the computer player?
- Is the interface reasonably intuitive?

No help written yet, so use at own risk (ha!). Interested in any feedback. If people like it, I'll try and tidy up all remaining bits and pieces, and work on the level editor some more.

Thanks! :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kevin Wells Message #81472, posted by Revin Kevin at 16:15, 19/10/2006, in reply to message #81470
Nice game.

1 minor point after a game is won, you have to quit to play another game.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #81486, posted by Chris at 22:16, 19/10/2006, in reply to message #81472
1 minor point after a game is won, you have to quit to play another game.
Ah yes. Probably very easy to fix. Thanks for your feedback. Everything else alright? Any suggestions? Was winning too easy (I've been trying to make half-decent computer opponents, which is a bit hard)?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #81536, posted by tlsa at 00:02, 21/10/2006, in reply to message #81470

Could anyone with a spare five minutes download Islands from lym.iconbar.com please? I'd like some feedback before I try and finish it off. In particular:

- Does it work? Any bugs?
Seemed to work OK, as far as I know. :)
- How's the sound (I can't test this, as my A9 has no sound atm!)
Works fine on my Iyonix, however, when a sound effect is played, it stops DigitalCD playing an MP3 at the same time. The MP3 resumes after the sound effect.
- How's the computer player?
Seems OK.
- Is the interface reasonably intuitive?
Mostly OK. Although I have no idea what the cards do. Once it told me I had to cash them. I've never been able to do anything with them other than highlight them appart from when it said I had to cash them, when I was able to cash them.

Also the Consolidate feature didn't work. Or at least, I couldn't use it to move armies between adjacent regions, which is what I expected it to do. I can move armies after an attack.

No help written yet, so use at own risk (ha!). Interested in any feedback. If people like it, I'll try and tidy up all remaining bits and pieces, and work on the level editor some more.
Cool. I liked it. I've not played Risk before.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #81538, posted by Chris at 01:02, 21/10/2006, in reply to message #81536
Works fine on my Iyonix, however, when a sound effect is played, it stops DigitalCD playing an MP3 at the same time. The MP3 resumes after the sound effect.
Hmm. That may be my fault: in order to stop PlayIt overlapping samples, I issue a PlayIt_Stop before issuing any other noises: conceivably, this is interfering with DigitalCD: I'll investigate (when my computer makes sound).

I have no idea what the cards do. Once it told me I had to cash them. I've never been able to do anything with them other than highlight them appart from when it said I had to cash them, when I was able to cash them.
The cards should work as they do in Risk. Right at the start of your go, before deploying, open the cards window by clicking on the cards icon in the toolbar or from the menu item. If you have three cards all of the same type, or one of each, you can select these three. Clicking CASH will add a bonus to the armies you get at the beginning of your turn. I can't recall exactly how much the bonus is for each combination, but one of each is the best.

You pick up a random card whenever you successfully conquer a territory (max one per go). When you get to five cards, the game forces you to cash them, but you can cash them whenever you have a valid combination.

Also the Consolidate feature didn't work. Or at least, I couldn't use it to move armies between adjacent regions, which is what I expected it to do. I can move armies after an attack.
Consolidate should work only once, and only after your attacks are over. You should be able to select a region which you own, then select a destination region which you also own to consolidate to. Click on the + and - buttons to move armies back and forth as you do when attacking. Does this work?

Thanks for your feedback: it's much appreciated.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #81544, posted by tlsa at 13:14, 21/10/2006, in reply to message #81538

The cards should work as they do in Risk. Right at the start of your go, before deploying, open the cards window by clicking on the cards icon in the toolbar or from the menu item. If you have three cards all of the same type, or one of each, you can select these three. Clicking CASH will add a bonus to the armies you get at the beginning of your turn. I can't recall exactly how much the bonus is for each combination, but one of each is the best.
OK, thanks.
Consolidate should work only once, and only after your attacks are over. You should be able to select a region which you own, then select a destination region which you also own to consolidate to. Click on the + and - buttons to move armies back and forth as you do when attacking. Does this work?
Sometimes. I've had it work once or twice, but normally it doesn't work. I click on Consolidate, select a source region and it does not let me set a destination.

[Edited by tlsa at 13:14, 21/10/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Sion Message #81548, posted by blasts of the xtre at 13:45, 21/10/2006, in reply to message #81544
blasts of the xtre
Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

Nice Game!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #81566, posted by Chris at 00:10, 22/10/2006, in reply to message #81544
Sometimes. I've had it work once or twice, but normally it doesn't work. I click on Consolidate, select a source region and it does not let me set a destination.
OK, thanks. I'll have a look at this tomorrow and see what's up.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Sion Message #81567, posted by blasts of the xtre at 09:24, 22/10/2006, in reply to message #81470
blasts of the xtre
Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

Could anyone with a spare five minutes download Islands from lym.iconbar.com please?

Five minutes! It took me less than a second to download! :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #81570, posted by Chris at 13:09, 22/10/2006, in reply to message #81567
Five minutes! It took me less than a second to download! :P
Well, I was referring to the time taken to play the game :P

Glad you liked it. Any comments or criticisms? I'm trying to finish it off in the next couple of days.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #81572, posted by Chris at 17:02, 22/10/2006, in reply to message #81570
OK; couple of minor niggles fixed, and the help file written: will upload this evening, all being well.

tlsa: I can't reproduce your bug with Consolidate, despite trying a number of configurations. Just to be clear, the idea with the consolidate phase is that, at the end of your go, you can opt to move armies from one of your own regions to an adjacent region which you also own, once only. Click on the Consolidate button, followed by the source region, followed by the destination region. The consolidate button should be greyed-out (to stop multiple consolidates), and you should then be able to use the + and - buttons to move armies between your selected regions as normal.

If this is still not working, could you give as much detail as you can when explaining what's going wrong: I can't identify a problem here.

Thanks!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #81643, posted by Lampi at 15:37, 23/10/2006, in reply to message #81572
Lampi

These obeservations are based on the original V1.00 download, so if you've already fixed them then apologies in advance.

If you use Nested wimp features (as you do) - you should pass 380 to Wimp_Initialise not 370

In the world map you can't attack from Ukraine into Middle East.
You also can't attack from Yakutsk into Kamchatka.
You can't attack from Middle East into East Africa.
You can't attack from East Africa into South Africa.

You can attack from Western Europe into Egypt, you shouldn't be able to
Similarly in RISK you cam't attack/move from Eastern Australia into Indonesia.

After conquering a teritory you still get the 'Move armies...' stage even if there are no extra armies left to move.
When a player is defeated, they keep their cards. In RISK the last player to beat them get's given them.
It's only possible to end a turn from the Menu, perhaps it should be on the toolbar also.
Perhaps there should be 'all +' and 'all -' buttons, to speed up conquest/moves.
You can't put more than 99 armies on a single territory.

In the Choices... window it's possible for the greying out of the players name to get out of sync with the tick box to it's left.
This is illustrated in this image at http://ivandobski.drobe.co.uk/temp/
then download sprbug.zip (Sorry no deep linking to drobe allowed).
Then look at player five.

Overall I enjoyed playing this game much more than the other RISK clones available for RISC OS.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #81648, posted by Chris at 16:57, 23/10/2006, in reply to message #81643
These obeservations are based on the original V1.00 download, so if you've already fixed them then apologies in advance.
Doh! Just uploaded a new version before seeing this. Thanks anyway: I'll add these to the ToDo list.

If you use Nested wimp features (as you do) - you should pass 380 to Wimp_Initialise not 370
OK - I'll check and amend.

In the world map you can't attack from Ukraine into Middle East.
You also can't attack from Yakutsk into Kamchatka.
You can't attack from Middle East into East Africa.
You can't attack from East Africa into South Africa.
You can attack from Western Europe into Egypt, you shouldn't be able to
Similarly in RISK you cam't attack/move from Eastern Australia into Indonesia.
There were some oddities in the earlier release, which should be fixed now. However, I'll go down this list and check that the current version gets things right.

After conquering a teritory you still get the 'Move armies...' stage even if there are no extra armies left to move.
When a player is defeated, they keep their cards. In RISK the last player to beat them get's given them.
It's only possible to end a turn from the Menu, perhaps it should be on the toolbar also.
Perhaps there should be 'all +' and 'all -' buttons, to speed up conquest/moves.
You can't put more than 99 armies on a single territory.
Useful thoughts; I'll consider them.

In the Choices... window it's possible for the greying out of the players name to get out of sync with the tick box to it's left.
This is illustrated in this image at http://ivandobski.drobe.co.uk/temp/
then download sprbug.zip (Sorry no deep linking to drobe allowed).
Then look at player five.
OK thanks - I'll have a look.

Overall I enjoyed playing this game much more than the other RISK clones available for RISC OS.
Excellent :) . I've put a notice on csa.games, and if there's any more feedback I'll pool it and make the necessary changes. The current download is still at version 1.00, but subsequent changes will increment the version number as normal. Thanks for this feedback, which is appreciated.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #81711, posted by Lampi at 17:16, 24/10/2006, in reply to message #81648
Lampi

The latest version seems to fix the bugs.

I do however have a few more suggestions on the latest version.
I've seen the computer player transfering MY armies into one of his own territories!

Pressing Return in the Choices box produces... 'No such function/procedure at 13694
The Cancel button is a bit too close to the Start buttton.

It's easy to forget to cash cards during the initial phase (well for me anyway), perhaps this should be allowed up until the first attack is made.

The default number of armies in the World map is a bit low. You only get three armies to place + the 3 on your first go. So most of the map is just territories with a single army on.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #81712, posted by Chris at 19:58, 24/10/2006, in reply to message #81711

I've seen the computer player transfering MY armies into one of his own territories!
Outrageous! I shall stamp on that at once. :) Was it in the in the deployment, attack or consolidation phase?

Pressing Return in the Choices box produces... 'No such function/procedure at 13694
The Cancel button is a bit too close to the Start buttton.
Ah - that'll be me not implementing keypresses. Another schoolboy error.

It's easy to forget to cash cards during the initial phase (well for me anyway), perhaps this should be allowed up until the first attack is made.
Worth thinking about. Another option would be a pop-up window asking if you want to check your cards - perhaps a bit Window-ish intrusive, though. I'll ponder.

The default number of armies in the World map is a bit low. You only get three armies to place + the 3 on your first go. So most of the map is just territories with a single army on.
This is a bit tricky. Having too many armies ruins the game, IMO, but too few makes the start quite slow. It's difficult to set a default amount as the levels vary so much in size, and the number of players, so I was hoping that my setting things to a minimum, players could increment them steadily to find the level that works best. But there may be a better solution...

BTW, are the computer players a bit better? That's been the focus of my efforts recently.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #81741, posted by Lampi at 17:20, 25/10/2006, in reply to message #81712
Lampi

Outrageous! I shall stamp on that at once. :) Was it in the in the deployment, attack or consolidation phase?
In the consolidation phase, the computer players also steal off each other!
I've found a method of revenge though... the 'End turn' menu option works during the computer players turn. So it's easy to cheat, if you're so inclined.

BTW, are the computer players a bit better? That's been the focus of my efforts recently.
Yes I'm finding it difficult to win, especially if I can't gain control of a Continent quickly.
The computer players are certainly better than the ones in !RiskMkII
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #82570, posted by Chris at 16:30, 7/11/2006, in reply to message #81741
Version 1.1 uploaded this afternoon. Hopefully no more sneaky consolidation, and a couple of other niggles sorted.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #83029, posted by Lampi at 16:10, 16/11/2006, in reply to message #82570
Lampi

Version 1.1 uploaded this afternoon. Hopefully no more sneaky consolidation, and a couple of other niggles sorted.
Yep it certainly looks good now.

I've noticed however that when the program puts up a 'You must cash cards now' window, it's possible to just click on territories using up the allocation of armies - and when the last one is used you don't have to cash any cards. Then you can get a sixth card and things get strange.

I'd also like to suggest that in the choices window instead of having a total number of armies, perhaps you could have an 'average armies per territory' this would scale better when the number of players is altered.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Message #83045, posted by Chris at 21:42, 16/11/2006, in reply to message #83029
I've noticed however that when the program puts up a 'You must cash cards now' window, it's possible to just click on territories using up the allocation of armies - and when the last one is used you don't have to cash any cards. Then you can get a sixth card and things get strange.
Yup, ending up with six cards is likely to bring things to a nasty halt. I'll see if I can close off that loophole.

I'd also like to suggest that in the choices window instead of having a total number of armies, perhaps you could have an 'average armies per territory' this would scale better when the number of players is altered.
OK - I'll have a look: the army allocation system at the beginning is not really ideal. TBH, though, chances of a big revision depend on how difficult it would be to implement: I'm getting to the point where I'd really better turn my attention to other RISC OS projects. Next big thing is the level editor, after which anything other than maintenance development is likely to stop.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Islands