Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
Related articles
- Rounding Up February
- BBC Domesday online
- ABug provide more interesting retro talks to pass the time this Christmas
- Pass the time this Christmas with a selection of RISC OS and BBC Micro talks
- Games news
- Emulation roundup
- Newsround
- Bob and Trev: Resurrection: Just in time
- Monster AI
- Combat
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: Steel Cobra

Steel Cobra

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 21:42, 10/2/2003 | , , , ,

Steel CobraIt was a toss-up whether this one went up on Acorn Arcade or here, but it might make an amusing antidote to all the heavy GPL mass debates. Jason Tribbeck, more famous for writing games for use in the virtual world, has decided to bring his gaming skills into the real world for his latest project, the Steel Cobra.

After a discussion about making paper models of Elite ships using designs from Witchspace and Sirocco Station, Jason decided to take things a little further... The partially finished result on display so far is a framework of steel strips, which not so coincidentally looks very much like the old 8-bit wireframe Elite model except without the hidden line removal. Jase is currently working on the electronics, and when the new sheet steel arrives it'll be fully covered.

To keep an eye on this project as it happens, head on over to Jason's website, www.tribbeck.com.

Steel Cobra
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

John Hoare Message #91828, posted by moss at 09:42, 15/2/2003, in reply to message #91827

Cos I'm not talking any more :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #113778, posted by filecore at 16:10, 24/3/2010, in reply to message #91828

Any word on this? Last I saw was that it was paused in 2005, as you were building a trailer.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #113782, posted by tribbles at 19:09, 24/3/2010, in reply to message #113778
tribbles
Captain Helix

It's still sitting in my garage - I cleaned up the rust in Septemberish time, with a view to doing some more work on it, but my welder's broken, which makes it a bit hard to do.

The Action Man seems to have been down a coal-mine (covered in what looks like soot) smile

The steel frame is already quite heavy, so one idea I've got is to make a fibre-glass skin.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #113785, posted by filecore at 21:12, 24/3/2010, in reply to message #113782

Hmm. Do what the light aircraft builders do, balsa wood and aluminium and fibreglass?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #113829, posted by tribbles at 10:35, 27/3/2010, in reply to message #113785
tribbles
Captain Helix

I don't think you've grasped this "steel" aspect, have you? smile

I'm building a CNC machine which should allow me to make fibreglass bucks for moulds out of foam. A body for the Cobra would be doable...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: News and features: Steel Cobra