Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Related articles
- Founder of Acorn Computers honoured with CBE
- Castle Up For Grabs
- Free copies of RISCWorld up for grabs!
- Wakey Wakey, it's show time again!
- RISC OS - 24 bits
- NetSurf 1.0 and GTK+ port
- Rounding Up February
- Your Early February Catch-up Linkfest
- GView 1.50 displays PDF files
- The Show *will* go on
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS on Wikipedia

RISC OS on Wikipedia

Posted by Andrew Duffell on 21:48, 10/5/2005 | , ,

stock/HardDriveMany of you will be familiar with the Wikipedia project. Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia that anyone can edit, and covers just about every topic you can imagine. If it doesn't cover a topic, anyone can create a page about that topic.

What's RISC OS got to do with it?
There are many pages on Wikipedia to do with RISC OS, ranging from the base RISC OS article to applications such as NetSurf and people such as Chris Curry. These pages are mostly kept up to date by a few RISC OS enthusiasts, but the more people who input, and edit these pages, the more valuable and extensive the information about our OS becomes.

To edit a page, click on the 'Edit page' link, make your adjustments, and submit them. A few good places to start for RISC OS on Wikipedia are listed below.

Links:
Articles that link to the main RISC OS article
Acorn Computers Category

RISC OS on Wikipedia
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jason Togneri Message #119441, posted by filecore at 18:34, 23/12/2011, in reply to message #119438

design copyrights certainly aren't a license compatible with Wikimedia Commons.
Even for simple designs?
Unfortuanately the legal backing for such an assumption is based on US case law. A place where neither the designs were created, nor the reproductions created, nor where I live.
I don't think that matters, it's a matter of Commons policy...
I'm with Peter on this one. Whatever else he uses them for, it seems quite clear that he doesn't want them on Wikipedia, otherwise he wouldn't be arguing against you - in which case, no point of Wikicommons policy nor UK or US law can force him to acceed to placing them there. If they are private and personal property, he can use them where he sees fit, and choose not to place them where he doesn't want them. I don't see any point in continuing this conversation.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120255, posted by trevj at 13:28, 1/5/2012, in reply to message #93506
[...] WikiBureaucracy [...]
Here are some more thoughts I have regarding there not being a blanket licence to include all content, with an absence of guidelines.
  1. It's an encyclopedia, not a classifieds listing or local Who's Who.
  2. How are readers to know if what they're reading isn't inherently biased if there are no independent sources to back up the content?
  3. If a particular article isn't based on such independent sources, then it'll only include information provided by those directly connected to the subject, or that from personal opinion. Neither is going to be a desirable basis for a reference resource with no restrictions on who can edit.
  4. In an ideal world, people wanting to list their local pub, school, club, product, company, etc. would do so in an attempted neutral manner. But all articles with a promotional tone and neutral point of view disputes probably demonstrate that's not always the case (currently around 15000 and 7500 respectively in those).
Regarding factual accuracy, we all know that The Vigay sadly died in 2009. Unsourced content is subject to Sparky dalek; so if a similar claim were to be made for another British computer programmer (to stick with the example subject), the guidelines which have evolved exist to encourage appropriate action with some consistency.

Now, people could (and indeed do) include any old doody and bollocks in articles. But without guidelines, how do we determine whether that content should remain? Angel That's not to say that I agree with (or fully understand the rationale for) all the guidelines and policies. (There are too many, and editors are sometimes known to pick and choose to suit their arguments.)

However, they're a starting point.

-oOo-

Anyone following these discussions with interest ought to be encouraged to perhaps get directly involved themselves and make some contributions, in order to see how all of this works in practice. (Not necessarily cog articles: any old typo in a subject of close or passing interest is a common starting point.)

Finally, I note that the issue of what counts as a reliable source is a related but distinct topic. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS on Wikipedia