Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: RISCube and RISC Book?

RISCube and RISC Book?
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Phil Mellor Message #99104, posted by monkeyson2 at 19:59, 24/2/2007, in reply to message #99101
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

The fans have become noisy? Is that a commonproblem with the Iyonix? I thoguht one of its main attractions for RiscPC users was its almost silent operation.
Hmm, well having switched it on this evening to watch TV Burp through the TV card, it doesn't sound as noisy now. It's probably just a bit of old clogged up dustiness.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #99115, posted by arawnsley at 23:26, 24/2/2007, in reply to message #99104
R-Comp chap
One other thought is that I believe making pure ARM hardware pay in terms of r&d and manufacture costs is very hard, something even Acorn struggled with since the early 90s. Being able to use mass produced motherboards etc. makes a huge difference to the viability of ongoing projects and so on. However, I think there are two ditinct customer types (whih somewhat overlap)- those who love the OS and those who love ARM hardware. I used to be in the overlap, but when Acorn threw the towel in, I thought hard about it and realised that I liked buying Acorn hardware *to run RISC OS* (the rest is history). But, I know for some people it is the low-power hrdware that appeals most...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #99118, posted by monkeyson2 at 01:14, 25/2/2007, in reply to message #99115

Somehow I suspect the low-power hardware was an issue people adopted once they realised high-performance wasn't an option.

In these days of climate change awareness it may be a different matter. I guess it's another reason why I prefer the Mac Mini over the non-ARM/RISCOS alternatives, and Wii over the other consoles.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #99120, posted by arawnsley at 11:17, 25/2/2007, in reply to message #99118
R-Comp chap
I don't believe the Mac Mini is any more power-friendly than other sensibly spec'd desktop/laptop computers (eg. our RISCube Mini, RISCube Ultra etc). AFAIK MacMini = Intel Core Duo CPU (Pentium-m dual core), laptop hard drive and optical drive?

Wii for the win tho I just read euro PS3 has now had its backwards compatibility messed up compared to US models, too. Yay for Wii (and new freeloader).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #99122, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:49, 25/2/2007, in reply to message #99120

I don't believe the Mac Mini is any more power-friendly than other sensibly spec'd desktop/laptop computers (eg. our RISCube Mini, RISCube Ultra etc). AFAIK MacMini = Intel Core Duo CPU (Pentium-m dual core), laptop hard drive and optical drive?
http://www.apple.com/environment/resources/specs.html -
<23W on, <2.4W sleep, <1.5W off

Wii for the win tho I just read euro PS3 has now had its backwards compatibility messed up compared to US models, too. Yay for Wii (and new freeloader).
http://kotaku.com/gaming/power/which-console-chews-through-the-most-power-238681.php

Just look at that graph!

WiiConnect24 is a bit evil though. I might switch it off.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #99140, posted by arawnsley at 17:08, 25/2/2007, in reply to message #99122
R-Comp chap
OK so I think that's pretty much identical to any pentium-m class system with S3 standby and normal Speedstep power management. I believe (but could be wrong) that the core duo CPUs (essentially 2x pentium-M cores bolted together) are more power-hungry than the basic centrino-pentium-m part. But die-shrinking may have solved that. BTW, for reference, all our systems use S3 rather than S1 sleep, in order to maximise power saving, and SpeedStep/Cool'n'Quiet as appropriate.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #99147, posted by andrew at 20:06, 25/2/2007, in reply to message #99118
HandbagHandbag Boi
Somehow I suspect the low-power hardware was an issue people adopted once they realised high-performance wasn't an option.

In these days of climate change awareness it may be a different matter. I guess it's another reason why I prefer the Mac Mini over the non-ARM/RISCOS alternatives, and Wii over the other consoles.
I think there's a whole lot of "high performance" in RISC OS.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: General: RISCube and RISC Book?