User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Shock horror! Me looking at PCs

Shock horror! Me looking at PCs
  pvigay (11:47 9/3/2007)
  krisa (12:14 9/3/2007)
    pvigay (12:30 9/3/2007)
      krisa (12:33 9/3/2007)
        MikeCarter (12:59 9/3/2007)
          richcheng (13:42 9/3/2007)
            Phlamethrower (13:58 9/3/2007)
            MikeCarter (14:06 9/3/2007)
              richcheng (14:28 9/3/2007)
                SimonC (10:41 12/3/2007)
                  guestx (13:15 12/3/2007)
                    richcheng (16:55 12/3/2007)
                      SimonC (11:50 13/3/2007)
                        richcheng (14:38 13/3/2007)
                          SimonC (17:19 14/3/2007)
                  richcheng (16:52 12/3/2007)
  arawnsley (22:57 9/3/2007)

Paul Vigay Message #99651, posted by pvigay at 11:47, 9/3/2007

Righto. I need to source a PC for someone pretty quickly (ie. I need it by next Tuesday) and it needs to be a pretty good spec - something like http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16549)MD-Phoenix-Base-Unit-v3-Inc-12Mth-On-Site.aspx
- ie. largish hard drive, reasonable graphics card, at least 1GB RAM and a decent processor. Price up to about 600 quid. Plus it needs to be in black and preferably have wireless keyboard and mouse.
They probably won't be playing games on it, but maybe watching DVDs etc.

It must have WinXP Pro and NOT Vista on it (which is the pain, and rules out the machine above as it takes an additional 7 days to build with XP!)

I thought I'd ask the peeps on here what would be the best place to go, and which places to avoid (like Dabs, as I've heard bad rumours about them).
Any comments?
(hmm, TIB didn't like that URL)

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 12:06, 9/3/2007. Fix URL]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kris Adcock Message #99653, posted by krisa at 12:14, 9/3/2007, in reply to message #99651
Why not just find a local PC shop (an independent one - not PC world) and just repeat what you've put there? "I have this much to spend, it needs to do this, I want XP installed on it". That's a mornings work at most for any half-competent shop. Plus you'll have a local bod to talk to if owt goes wrong, and you're pushing a bit of money into a local "enthusiast" establishment rather than a big company.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Paul Vigay Message #99654, posted by pvigay at 12:30, 9/3/2007, in reply to message #99653

That's the problem. There aren't any local PC shops! There's a huge PC World about a mile away and Novatech about 2 miles away - and between them they seem to have put everyone else out of business - either that or put people off starting up small independents in this area! :-(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kris Adcock Message #99655, posted by krisa at 12:33, 9/3/2007, in reply to message #99654
I'm genuinely surprised - you can barely move for independent computer shops in Derby!

If you want to buy online, I'd recommend Gladiator: www.gladiatorcomputers.co.uk - they were in Derby until recently, and have just moved to Manchester. Very cheap, very friendly, very approachable.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mike Message #99656, posted by MikeCarter at 12:59, 9/3/2007, in reply to message #99655
MikeCarter

I'm genuinely surprised - you can barely move for independent computer shops in Derby!

If you want to buy online, I'd recommend Gladiator: www.gladiatorcomputers.co.uk - they were in Derby until recently, and have just moved to Manchester. Very cheap, very friendly, very approachable.
they sell Acorn laptops
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #99660, posted by richcheng at 13:42, 9/3/2007, in reply to message #99656

they sell Acorn laptops
Hmmm, interesting: http://acorncomputers.co.uk/about.htm is a lot less deceptive than it used to be. In that it fairly plainly states that this Acorn is not the same as Acorn of old. I wonder what made them decide to go with the more honest approach.

Anyone know if their laptops really have a big Acorn logo on them (as suggested by the images on their front page)? It would actually be kinda cool to have one running Virtual Acorn.

[Edited by richcheng at 13:43, 9/3/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #99663, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:58, 9/3/2007, in reply to message #99660
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Anyone know if their laptops really have a big Acorn logo on them (as suggested by the images on their front page)? It would actually be kinda cool to have one running Virtual Acorn.

No, you would be branded a heretic and burned at the stake
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mike Message #99665, posted by MikeCarter at 14:06, 9/3/2007, in reply to message #99660
MikeCarter

they sell Acorn laptops
Hmmm, interesting: http://acorncomputers.co.uk/about.htm is a lot less deceptive than it used to be. In that it fairly plainly states that this Acorn is not the same as Acorn of old. I wonder what made them decide to go with the more honest approach.

They still state the following:

"As one of the UK’s most recognisable and fondly remembered IT brands, Acorn Computers Limited has re-launched in 2006".

[Edited by MikeCarter at 14:07, 9/3/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #99668, posted by richcheng at 14:28, 9/3/2007, in reply to message #99665

they sell Acorn laptops

They still state the following:

"As one of the UK’s most recognisable and fondly remembered IT brands, Acorn Computers Limited has re-launched in 2006".
Which, unpalatable as it is to us, is absolutely true. The brand has been re-launched. The fact that it is by a different company, unconnected to RISC OS is also stated on that page, which it wasn't before, and that's the bit that I'm surprised about.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #99703, posted by arawnsley at 22:57, 9/3/2007, in reply to message #99651
R-Comp chap
I know I'll get flamed, but I did a machine rather akin to this for under 450ukp inc about two weeks ago for a customer's wife. That was XP home, not Pro, and didn't have key/mouse, but the extra budget should cover that and graphics. I can usually turn round a machine in 48-72 hours, depending on delivery. It'll include our usual stability/performance tweaking and warrantee/support. Give me a call if you'd like. Plus any profit will be spent on dealing with the current orpheus-send problem
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #99801, posted by SimonC at 10:41, 12/3/2007, in reply to message #99668
Elite
Right on, Commander!

Which, unpalatable as it is to us, is absolutely true. The brand has been re-launched. The fact that it is by a different company, unconnected to RISC OS is also stated on that page, which it wasn't before, and that's the bit that I'm surprised about.
So? That doesn't constitute a re-launch. No-one would accept a brand new band forming, playing their own songs, and calling themselves The Beatles, even if they did somehow manage to legally aquire use of the name.

Edited to add that they could probably just about get away with it if they said they were a new band that just happened to be called The Beatles (although they'd still be risking life and limb), but if calling themselves a re-launch of the original would be completely and utterly beyond the pale. Hell, I may as well start writing plays and claim to be re-launching Shakespeare's career.

[Edited by SimonC at 15:29, 12/3/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

GuestX Message #99807, posted by guestx at 13:15, 12/3/2007, in reply to message #99801
No-one would accept a brand new band forming, playing their own songs, and calling themselves The Beatles, even if they did somehow manage to legally aquire use of the name.
Indeed. I don't know why they haven't been taken to task about this: it's a total misrepresentation of the business. Saying that a company has re-launched implies that, even if contracts with previous customers or partners aren't honoured, there's still some continuity in terms of products or services for such customers or partners.

"My Risc PC stopped working," a punter might say. "Can I get parts, service information or some kind of replacement or upgrade?" Unless the new Acorn bundle Virtual RPC, the truthful answer is "not really".
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #99838, posted by richcheng at 16:52, 12/3/2007, in reply to message #99801

So?
My point, in it's entirety, is that previously, that page implied quite heavily that the New Acorn was the same company, the same people, as our Acorn.

It no longer does so.

The fact that it is even possible to purchase a "brand", and thus trick people who don't visit your website and read your About page is NOT COOL, but I never said it was.

If, on the other hand you're claiming that what they've got there now isn't less deceptive than what they had before, then I'm frankly baffled.

That doesn't constitute a re-launch. No-one would accept a brand new band forming, playing their own songs, and calling themselves The Beatles, even if they did somehow manage to legally aquire use of the name.
I agree. I don't think anyone (that knew all the details) would "accept" the new Acorn, either.

Edited to add that they could probably just about get away with it if they said they were a new band that just happened to be called The Beatles (although they'd still be risking life and limb), but if calling themselves a re-launch of the original would be completely and utterly beyond the pale.
Which is almost precisely the distinction between claiming you're re-launching the brand, and claiming your re-launching the company.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #99839, posted by richcheng at 16:55, 12/3/2007, in reply to message #99807

No-one would accept a brand new band forming, playing their own songs, and calling themselves The Beatles, even if they did somehow manage to legally aquire use of the name.
Indeed. I don't know why they haven't been taken to task about this: it's a total misrepresentation of the business. Saying that a company has re-launched implies that, even if contracts with previous customers or partners aren't honoured, there's still some continuity in terms of products or services for such customers or partners.
Which is why I'm pleased that they've stopped implying that the company has re-launched (false), and instead have limited themselves to claiming the brand has re-launched (true).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #99921, posted by SimonC at 11:50, 13/3/2007, in reply to message #99839
Elite
Right on, Commander!

Which is why I'm pleased that they've stopped implying that the company has re-launched (false), and instead have limited themselves to claiming the brand has re-launched (true).
But both claims are attempting to mislead IMO. Where is the line between the company and the brand? Re-launch still definitely means something different, to me at least, than simply starting a new company with the same name as an old one, which is what is really happening. Any attempt to use the word "re-launch" is a deliberate attempt to mislead, whatever it's applied to, because brands are linked to products. There is no link to the product, even a redesigned product, other than them both being computers. The new Mini may not be very much of a Mini, but it wasn't completely different, so could be called a brand re-launch. Building a tractor and calling it a Mini brand re-launch would'nt have been.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #99932, posted by richcheng at 14:38, 13/3/2007, in reply to message #99921

But both claims are attempting to mislead IMO. Where is the line between the company and the brand? Re-launch still definitely means something different, to me at least, than simply starting a new company with the same name as an old one, which is what is really happening. Any attempt to use the word "re-launch" is a deliberate attempt to mislead, whatever it's applied to, because brands are linked to products. There is no link to the product, even a redesigned product, other than them both being computers. The new Mini may not be very much of a Mini, but it wasn't completely different, so could be called a brand re-launch. Building a tractor and calling it a Mini brand re-launch would'nt have been.
The line between company and brand is hazy, and I think our different interpretations of it are probably why we're having this dicussion, but on the whole I agree with you that they're still being sleazy.

However, surely you agree that stating:
We've started a new company and purchased an old brand to apply to it.
Is less deceptive than saying:
The old company is relaunching.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #99978, posted by SimonC at 17:19, 14/3/2007, in reply to message #99932
Elite
Right on, Commander!

The line between company and brand is hazy, and I think our different interpretations of it are probably why we're having this dicussion, but on the whole I agree with you that they're still being sleazy.

However, surely you agree that stating:
We've started a new company and purchased an old brand to apply to it.
Is less deceptive than saying:
The old company is relaunching.
It's less deceptive, but to me a brand is more than a name - it means something about the product too, and if you're not doing that then you might be techincally in the clear but you certainly aren't ethically. Why take on a name or brand from the past if you're not attempting to offer some clear continuity? The only possible reason is to mislead IMO.

Which makes Skoda rather interesting, because by my argument they should be producing far worse cars to be accurate to the brand

I think the argument is all based on why brands have value.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Shock horror! Me looking at PCs