Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: This is not the man on fire you are looking for

This is not the man on fire you are looking for
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #107275, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:28, 8/5/2008, in reply to message #105490
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Heroes

Which I found to be somewhat unimpressive. But
then again, I did watch it all in one sitting
That's almost certainly going to be a big factor in the opinion you formed, IMO. A lot of heavily arc'd stuff really doesn't stand up too well when you watch more than two or three episodes back to back, I've found; things are too fresh in your mind from earlier episodes and plot holes become evident that the makers hoped nobody would notice.
Possibly.

Or possibly it's just a load of boring wank about random people discovering that they have super powers and that they're all part of some plot to save/destroy the world. I can't say that I feel particularly emotionally attached to any of the characters. (Although Malcom McDowell was good, obviously). Plus they mess around with time travel, which is rarely going to win them any points in my book.

And if a show can only be enjoyed at a rate of one episode per week, then surely it indicates that there's a problem with the show?

Unfortunately I can't think of any other TV shows where my first exposure to them has been a single sitting (or more correctly, spread out over 2-3 days as with Heroes), so I've got no real evidence that this is just indicative of something wrong with Heroes.
After watching the first N episodes of series 2 on a weekly basis on BBC 3, I'm still of the opinion that Heroes is a load of boring old wank.

Therefore I am right and anyone who disagrees with my opinions on Heroes is wrong.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #107276, posted by VincceH at 09:29, 9/5/2008, in reply to message #107275
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Therefore I am right and anyone who disagrees with my opinions on Heroes is wrong.
No, it just means that you are revealing your feminine side: Like most women, you are never satisfied. tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107277, posted by Phlamethrower at 10:11, 9/5/2008, in reply to message #107276

No, it just means that you are revealing your feminine side: Like most women, you are never satisfied. tongue
Untrue - I've been satisfied by many things. For example, this bra is very comfortable.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107871, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:55, 17/7/2008, in reply to message #102810

* The Running Man - Arnie? Really? It was fun at the time, but I think it'd look a bit dated.
I'm trying to remember whether I have seen this film already or not. But I don't think I have, and thus it remains on the list.
I have now watched this, and conclude that it is good.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107923, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:51, 30/7/2008, in reply to message #107871

Rich will be pleased to hear that I've now seen a ye-olde black & white film which I have enjoyed watching (The Seventh Seal). However 1936 (Things to Come) is quite a way away from 1957 (The Seventh Seal), so maybe with a bit more searching (If I can be bothered) I can find the point where movies transitioned from Shit to Good.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107925, posted by filecore at 08:37, 30/7/2008, in reply to message #107923

Watch Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon" from 1950. Don't read about it first. Try to work out what really happened. Excellent film. The man was a genius, and a trend-setter for the industry.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107931, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:38, 30/7/2008, in reply to message #107925

OK - it looks like there's a new DVD release of it coming out in October, and the tiny bit of the synopsis I read made it sound interesting enough.

Akira Kurosawa's highly acclaimed film, set in feudal Japan, presents an intriguing tale of violent crime in the woods, told from the perspective of four different characters--a bandit (Toshiro Mifune), a woman (Machiko Kyo), her husband (Masayuki Mori), and a woodcutter (Takashi Shimura). Only two things about the incident seem to be clear--the woman was raped and her husband is now dead.
I probably shouldn't have read so far as that 2nd sentence though tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #107936, posted by rich at 11:32, 31/7/2008, in reply to message #107931
Rich
Dictator for life
Marge: Come on, Homer. Japan will be fun! You liked Rashomon.
Homer: That's not how *I* remember it.
Yojimbo (The Bodyguard) is more fun, and Seven Samurai is a work of art. But they've been more famously remade.

And Hidden Fortress totally rips off Star Wars wink
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107942, posted by filecore at 14:50, 31/7/2008, in reply to message #107931

Only two things about the incident seem to be clear--the woman was raped and her husband is now dead.
Ah, but was she raped? That's one interpretation, surely, but there was some dark side to her nature. Maybe she gave herself to the bandit. The husband being dead is the only genuine fact - it's the manner of his death that is unclear (depending on whose point of view you believe, if any). That's the whole point of the film! None of this will make any real sense until you've watched it smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107987, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:53, 7/8/2008, in reply to message #102808

Six-String Samurai?
Just watched this. It's hard to classify - it seems to be about half the good kind of bad and half the bad kind of bad. Plus whichever fool was in charge of the DVD mastering forgot to set the aspect ratio properly, so it's a widescreen film scaled down to fit in a 4:3 VOB with letterboxing at the top and bottom. Gah.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #109143, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:49, 19/1/2009, in reply to message #107987

Things I have just watched: Circuitry Man. For some reason this wasn't on my list of films, but it probably should have been, considering how much I liked it.

Also I did see Circuitry Man 2 a couple of years ago (my parents have a habit of picking up cheap DVD film compilations every so often), but don't remember enjoying it that much. I have a feeling I would have enjoyed it more if I'd seen 1 first.

Things that I have seen recently and were actually on the list: Screamers. It falls short of being a genuinely good movie, but doesn't have enough character/creative elements to be enjoyed as a B-movie. So it's just a bit flat.

Things that I said I'd watch but have been sitting in my drawer for the last few months: Rashomon DVD. For some reason I haven't felt like watching it yet. Probably will do soon now that I've mentioned it here.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #109152, posted by VincceH at 13:58, 19/1/2009, in reply to message #109143
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Things I have just watched: Circuitry Man. For some reason this wasn't on my list of films, but it probably should have been, considering how much I liked it.
I've a feeling I have this on DVD, from one of my numerous "I've never heard of that, but it's really cheap, so I'll buy it along with about 10 other DVDs..." spends.

Also I did see Circuitry Man 2 a couple of years ago
That too.

(my parents have a habit of picking up cheap DVD film compilations every so often),
I don't like those compilations. You can't put the individual films alphabetically on the DVD shelves.

Not that I do that anymore. I have more DVDs than will fit on the shelves, so many are just in haphazzard piles.

but don't remember enjoying it that much. I have a feeling I would have enjoyed it more if I'd seen 1 first.
Based on what you said about the first and depending on whether I can find them (assuming I'm right that I have them, and didn't just see them in a shop and not pick them up on one of my idiotic spends) I might watch them when I have an evening where I can't be bothered to do any worky type stuff.

Things that I have seen recently and were actually on the list: Screamers. It falls short of being a genuinely good movie, but doesn't have enough character/creative elements to be enjoyed as a B-movie. So it's just a bit flat.
I think I've seen it, and my vague recollection is that I thought it was a pile of crud.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #109408, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:23, 24/2/2009, in reply to message #109152

Cyborg is on ITV 4 this Friday. Hurrah for ITV showing crappy movies!

Also, I've finally watched Rashomon, and yes, it was quite good.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #115612, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:24, 10/10/2010, in reply to message #102190

Time passes

It looks like Film4 sneakily changed their schedules on Saturday. So instead of recording this, I ended up recording this.

[...]

Oh well, at least I'll be able to compare the two the next time the remake is shown tongue
Having finally watched both films, I can now confirm that the original is the better one. The new one's too flashy, and didn't even include the scene from the trailer with the (burning?) car falling off a cliff into water. That was the entire reason I recorded it in the first place! Rage
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #115632, posted by swirlythingy at 19:29, 12/10/2010, in reply to message #115612

Whee, forum bugs. I actually had to go back and bother reading the thread to find out what this was a reply to.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #115635, posted by flibble at 01:41, 13/10/2010, in reply to message #109408
flibble

Also, I've finally watched Rashomon, and yes, it was quite good.
Of the four Kurosawa films I've seen, Rashomon is my least favourite. Check out 'Seven Samurai' if you haven't already, it's win.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 4

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: This is not the man on fire you are looking for