User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Dutch politics, aahhh

Dutch politics, aahhh
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Richard Goodwin Message #102498, posted by rich at 11:07, 28/5/2007, in reply to message #102493
Rich
Dictator for life
Hey, flame war! Can I join in?! "Celts" was a word invented in the Victorian era to bracket a bunch of disparate peoples, so there's no such thing as "native Celts"? And most so-called Scots buggered off to Ireland because we English stopped them wearing skirts wink
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

nervus Message #102501, posted by nervus at 11:23, 28/5/2007, in reply to message #102498
big grin
Well hEgelia and me have finally done it!! The Brits are fighting among each other! wink

Even "de Ruyter" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Ruyter) did not achieve that grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #102502, posted by filecore at 11:32, 28/5/2007, in reply to message #102501

big grin
Well hEgelia and me have finally done it!! The Brits are fighting among each other! wink
Been happening for years. I wouldn't get too cocky about it, though, or we'll all turn on you two again...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #102506, posted by filecore at 16:04, 28/5/2007, in reply to message #102498

Hey, flame war! Can I join in?!
No annoying me
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #102512, posted by andrew at 20:43, 28/5/2007, in reply to message #102488
HandbagHandbag Boi
Scottish nationlists love to play up the differences when in fact eveybody who lives in Scotland originated either in England or came from overseas.
So I only imagined that there were native Celts? Although maybe you're talking further back than that, in which case, you're not English at all - you're African. Or maybe all modern Scots come from English and foreign stock because the English shipped all the original Scots off to America and Australia *cough*Highland Clearances*cough*
AIUI, the Celts weren't the first people in this land although this land was part of the continent when the ancient Britons were here and the Celts came from eastern Europe. So much of the people of Scotland at the time Scotland came into existence had come from tribes presumably in England.

They ignore the massive population interchange occurring over centuries, they ignore the common history post union of Crowns
No I don't.

they ignore the incredible success of Scotland and Scottish during the Empire
No I don't - we practically ran the empire! Look at all the famous British mathematicians and scientists and engineers during those times - a great majority were Scottish!

The SNP remind me of some extremist religious or fascist party who exploit democracy to get into power and then aim to destroy it.
Don't single out the SNP, Mr BNP.
Which party is trying to destroy the notion of Britain? And don't call me Mr.BNP please.

England have their own share of lunatic fringe rabid nationalist parties, as does every other country in the world. That's hardly a general example of the Scottish (although incidentally there is a Scottish Independence Army, but I doubt you've heard of it since I believe he's currently in jail). At least the IRA don't have any issues with the Scots.
You have got to be kidding me. Where do you think many of the protestants and much of the protestantism come from in Northern Ireland?

In fact, we are all BRITISH.
Quite. In fact, that's usually the first thing I say when I meet people. This is why I get annoyed at the whole "English" thing. Conversations usually go like this:

Me: Hello
Them: Hello, you're a foreigner, where are you from?
Me: I'm British
Them: Oh, you're from England?
Me: No, I'm from Scotland
Them: But I thought you said you were British
Me: Yes, I did
Them: But how can you be British if you're from Scotland?
Me: sigh

Or sometimes, in a first lesson to break the ice:

Me: Can you guess what country I'm from by my accent?
Them: Um... America?
Me: No
Them: England?
Them: Australia?
Them: New Zealand?
Them: South Africa?
Them: blah blah random country?
Them: Okay, I give up. Where then?
Me: I'm British!
Them: I said that!
Me: No, you said England. I'm from Scotland.

Yes, there is a difference.

You'd be amazed the number of lessons which get derailed into a discussion of the differences between Scotland/England/Ireland/Wales, the fact that "Ireland" is an independent Euro-loving nation, and Northern Ireland is part of the UK - and the United Kingdom is different from Great Britain. And yes, I am both British and Scottish, at the same time. I'm also European. Ha.

[Edited by filecore at 07:30, 28/5/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #102520, posted by filecore at 16:43, 29/5/2007, in reply to message #102512

Which party is trying to destroy the notion of Britain? And don't call me Mr.BNP please.
Ah, BNP, Mickey Mouse, it's all the same really.

At least the IRA don't have any issues with the Scots.
You have got to be kidding me. Where do you think many of the protestants and much of the protestantism come from in Northern Ireland?
So what you're saying is... all the history I learned about Northern Ireland is wrong? It's actually the Scots who are angry at... um, the Scots? Which is why the Irish put bombs in England? I'm terribly confused now.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #102522, posted by VincceH at 17:07, 29/5/2007, in reply to message #102520
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

So what you're saying is... all the history I learned about Northern Ireland is wrong? It's actually the Scots who are angry at... um, the Scots? Which is why the Irish put bombs in England? I'm terribly confused now.
Don't be confused - that actually sounds quite a plausible reason for the Irish to blow up people in England.

They are, after all, Irish, and I'm not stereotyping at all, oh no.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #102523, posted by SimonC at 17:51, 29/5/2007, in reply to message #102522
Elite
Right on, Commander!

Don't be confused - that actually sounds quite a plausible reason for the Irish to blow up people in England.

They are, after all, Irish, and I'm not stereotyping at all, oh no.
You don't have to not stereotype on an issue like this. Why did the Irish bomb England? I doesn't sense to single out England, when their argument is really with the UK, but let's face it, someone who thinks a sensible course of action over such an issue is to randomly murder some people who have nothing to do with that issue doesn't need a logical reason to do or think anything.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

nervus Message #102536, posted by nervus at 16:47, 30/5/2007, in reply to message #102523
big grin big grin you all went completely O-T
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #102542, posted by filecore at 20:58, 30/5/2007, in reply to message #102536

Sorry, should we get back to bashing the Hollandese?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #102543, posted by VincceH at 21:13, 30/5/2007, in reply to message #102523
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

I doesn't sense
Does you not? Does you not also know that you can't say things like that in a thread Jason Togglewossname is reading. He's a proof-reader and everything, you know. tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #102545, posted by andrew at 21:44, 30/5/2007, in reply to message #102520
HandbagHandbag Boi
Ah, BNP, Mickey Mouse, it's all the same really.

At least the IRA don't have any issues with the Scots.
Protestants are a large part unionist and many descended from mass Scottish immigration. The IRA have problems with the British state that unionists are loyal to. They focussed their murder or destruction on the major civilian economic centres which in the 70s and 80s were in England. Glasgow has or had a large Catholic population and sectarian divide which apparently ruled out attacks their. Edinburgh has only recently begun to grow as an economic success story in recent decades. Loyalist terror groups sometimes targetted Dublin in any case when many Irish (as can still be seen in last week's election) have long distanced themselves from the IRA - and UK political unionism still exists in Ireland -so terror groups' targetting is often symbolic rather than personal.

[Edited by andrew at 22:45, 30/5/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adam Lloyd Message #102547, posted by adamlloyd at 22:54, 30/5/2007, in reply to message #102506
Hey, flame war! Can I join in?!
No annoying me
if Wales join in could you aim at Aberistwyth?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

nervus Message #102557, posted by nervus at 12:07, 31/5/2007, in reply to message #102542
Sorry, should we get back to bashing the Hollandese?
LOL!! We are a strange lot, but not masochists....
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Dutch politics, aahhh