User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Dock article on Wikipedia

Dock article on Wikipedia
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #108327, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:35, 9/9/2008, in reply to message #108299
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

We've forgotten all about this, haven't we?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108329, posted by VincceH at 13:54, 9/9/2008, in reply to message #108327
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

No. tongue

The usual story for me... I expected to have a bit of free time after the weekend, but in fact I've become snowed under.

In theory, I'm working at some place in Cheddar on Friday - but in practice, it's looking doubtful. The accountant whose client it is and wants me to go and look at their systems suggested I contact them directly to arrange it, but hasn't actually bothered to send me the contact details.

Which means, because I've penciled that job in for that day, if it doesn't happen, the day is free, and I'll do the various things I said I'd do then. However, if he does get his butt in gear, and I do end up going down there, it'll be some time next week before I have the spare time again.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108330, posted by VincceH at 14:32, 9/9/2008, in reply to message #108329
VincceH

Actually, scrub that - I might push everything waiting at home for me to one side* and look at this tonight.

* Which includes booking a hotel. In exactly one month from today, I will be flying home - so it's less than a month until I go away, and I haven't booked a hotel yet.** smile

** Mind you, I haven't booked my flights yet either.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108332, posted by VincceH at 19:55, 9/9/2008, in reply to message #108330
VincceH

Oh FFS. I still can't upload images, or move the page out into the wider world of wikipedia. unhappy

<reads a bit>

Hmmm... I have to be an autoconfirmed user, which happens after the user's had an account for 4 days - which I spotted before - and has made at least 10 edits - which I didn't.

Hopefully, minor edits will count...

<starts making really small edits...>
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108333, posted by VincceH at 20:07, 9/9/2008, in reply to message #108332
VincceH

Thanks for moving it Andrew... just before I found a link to add to make edit number 10. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108334, posted by VincceH at 22:20, 9/9/2008, in reply to message #108333
VincceH

I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, because I was doing other things at the same time - and having problems getting Omniclient to talk to my Windows box didn't help! unhappy

But over the course of the evening, I've added screenshots of the icon bar from Rich's site for Arthur, RISC OS 2, RISC OS 3 and RISC OS 4, and a RISC OS 5 one from my Iyonix - I modified all of those that were >640 pixels so they're of a uniform width.

The text below the Arthur screenshot is based on a complete lack of knowledge, so someone who actually had Arthur might want to check it - eg am I right in that the 'Exit' icon just shutdown the system when clicked on?

The TinyDirs app, with a reference to the A3K user guide, is mentioned under the RISC OS 2 iconbar screenshot. Given that the A3K came out after RISC OS 2, if anyone has an earlier RISC OS 2 user guide, changing the reference to that would be handy.

I've put no text below the RISC OS 4/5 icon bars because, other than changes to the icons, I can't think of any significant changes - and there's no RISC OS 6 icon bar because I don't have it. Rich's site has various Select screenshots, but none (that I spotted) that were RISC OS 6.

Oh, and I linked that AppleInsider page as a reference at the end of the appearance/features section, where AddTinyDirs and docks are mentioned. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108342, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:05, 10/9/2008, in reply to message #108334

and a RISC OS 5 one from my Iyonix
That'll explain the nonstandard icons then smile

Why is the filename 'Icon bar 2001' though? IIRC RISC OS 5 only came out in 2003?

The text below the Arthur screenshot is based on a complete lack of knowledge, so someone who actually had Arthur might want to check it - eg am I right in that the 'Exit' icon just shutdown the system when clicked on?
It exited to the command line.

[edit]

I've tweaked the article to say this and added a proper reference for that bit from the Style Guide.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 22:15, 10/9/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108343, posted by VincceH at 08:04, 11/9/2008, in reply to message #108342
VincceH

and a RISC OS 5 one from my Iyonix
That'll explain the nonstandard icons then smile
Are they non-standard?

<thinks>

Oh yeah - that's the A9Home theme. smile

Why is the filename 'Icon bar 2001' though? IIRC RISC OS 5 only came out in 2003?
Because I misremembered when it was released, perhaps? The info window on my task manager says 2002-7, so perhaps we're both wrong. smile

The RISC OS 5 section on the RISC OS article doesn't actually say when it was released, only that Castle acquired the head licence in 2003.

(Hmm... and while I'm on that page, the latest stable release of 5.xx is 5.13, not 5.12... edits)

A quick search on Google groups, and the earliest mentions I can find of the Iyonix appear to be in 2002. I'll rename the file to that.

It exited to the command line.

[edit]

I've tweaked the article to say this and added a proper reference for that bit from the Style Guide.
Good stuff. Now, where's Mike got to? He needs to give that Mac fanboi his come-uppence. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mike Message #108344, posted by MikeCarter at 10:11, 11/9/2008, in reply to message #108343
MikeCarter

Good stuff. Now, where's Mike got to? He needs to give that Mac fanboi his come-uppence. smile
*sneaks back in*

Heya,

I re-added a 'Precursor' section to the OSX Dock article along with a link to your Icon Bar article. I also informed the guy about this, on his talk page. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Shaun Phillips Message #109015, posted by dragonchat_uk at 23:08, 15/12/2008, in reply to message #108198
Totally unrelated to this forum, but i'm looking for someone called Stephen Robinson who I used to work with at the Psion Repair Centre any chance this is you ?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Message #109026, posted by Mark76 at 23:41, 17/12/2008, in reply to message #109015
Mark76

How about pointing out the debt Apple owes to the BBC micro and Acorn vis-a-vis Bundles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundle_(NEXTSTEP)

[Edited by Mark76 at 23:43, 17/12/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #109027, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:33, 18/12/2008, in reply to message #109026

Wikipedia pretty much says that already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundle_(NEXTSTEP) -

They were introduced into the Macintosh world as packages in Mac OS 9 and are similar in concept to the Application Directories used in RISC OS and on the ROX Desktop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_Directory -

Their heritage lies in the system for automatically launching software stored on floppy disk on Acorn's earlier 8bit micros such as the BBC Micro (the !BOOT file).
And if you're not happy with that when why don't you just edit the articles yourself? wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #109865, posted by Phlamethrower at 02:05, 23/4/2009, in reply to message #109027

After reading about wikipedia strictness elsewhere, I realised it would be a good idea to check up on our favourite page. The images are gone!

Apparently they were deleted because they didn't have non-free use media rationale mumbo-jumbo like the Windows taskbar ones. So if someone can be bothered to re-upload them with the relevant magic stuff and re-add them to the article then that would be good. Or failing that, fix the article so it makes sense without the images there.

Also I guess the intro sentence could do with taskbar and dock being links to wiki pages. And I guess adding it to the Acorn category would make sense too.

But I can't do any of this because I'm too lazy/meant to be in bed 3 hours ago.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #121394, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:21, 5/11/2012, in reply to message #109865

Having just checked up on the icon bar page, I'd like to congratulate Trevor and the other wikipedians on their work to restore the page to its former glory (and then some). Well done!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #121395, posted by swirlythingy at 13:51, 5/11/2012, in reply to message #121394

That RISC OS 2 screenshot is no "typical unmodified system boot". Unless that big red circle is normally there? It's not "self-made by a user", either, it's unmistakably cribbed from "A Beginner's Guide to Wimp Programming" (the circle being the icon of its introductory 'Test' application).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #121401, posted by trevj at 09:11, 6/11/2012, in reply to message #121394
and the other wikipedians
Plenty more yet to be done! Thanks to Chris Richardson and the people at 8-Bit Software we now have an almost complete library of Acorn User Magazine Scans! big grin
That RISC OS 2 screenshot is no "typical unmodified system boot". Unless that big red circle is normally there?
Fixed!
It's not "self-made by a user", either, it's unmistakably cribbed from "A Beginner's Guide to Wimp Programming" (the circle being the icon of its introductory 'Test' application).
Vince?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #121404, posted by trevj at 12:22, 6/11/2012, in reply to message #108228
Gates definitely knew of Acorn since he tried to sell them MSDOS.
"Citation needed"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/yes-i-could-have-been-bill-gates-672962.html
Any good?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #121406, posted by VincceH at 13:55, 6/11/2012, in reply to message #121401
VincceH

It's not "self-made by a user", either, it's unmistakably cribbed from "A Beginner's Guide to Wimp Programming" (the circle being the icon of its introductory 'Test' application).
Vince?
ATM - pass. I'm reading this from hospital on my phone and my battery is low. But from memory, I think I asked people to send me appropriate screenshots for the os version(s) I lacked way back when, and that image was presumably one of them. (Which then got deleted and subsequently reinstated?)

Edit: Fixed the bloody quoting. Sorry about that. smile

[Edited by VincceH at 13:31, 7/11/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #121409, posted by trevj at 15:49, 6/11/2012, in reply to message #121406
From memory, I think I added the "self-made by a user" note, based on information shared with Vince. In any case, anyone can edit/correct it accordingly (almost as quick as commenting here). Non-free images without solid rationales do get deleted from time to time if their origins aren't clear, so this is probably one which could do with sorting out at some point.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #121417, posted by VincceH at 13:45, 7/11/2012, in reply to message #121401
VincceH

Vince?
Having now looked back over this thread, it appears the image itself came from Rich's website. It wasn't emailed to me - I must have grabbed it in response to him giving permission to use any screenshot from his site.

So let's make that...

Rich? wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (3): |< < 3

The Icon Bar: General: Dock article on Wikipedia