Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: List of Acorn Archimedes Games

List of Acorn Archimedes Games
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Andrew Message #110590, posted by andrew at 19:47, 16/7/2009, in reply to message #110587
HandbagHandbag Boi
Why can't the articles be self-sufficient? If no websites exist to support the information then genuine games releases are not being documented?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #110591, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:02, 16/7/2009, in reply to message #110590
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Why can't the articles be self-sufficient? If no websites exist to support the information then genuine games releases are not being documented?
Wikipedia aims to report only factual information, and one of the few ways they have of doing this is by requiring articles to cite references. This system isn't fool-proof (people have posted false information and waited for lazy newspaper hacks to report it as fact), but without it I doubt Wikipedia would be as popular or reliable as it is.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #110592, posted by arawnsley at 11:09, 17/7/2009, in reply to message #110587
R-Comp chap
I think one RISC OS site (you'll need to google) has downloadable arcscan data for all the Archive magazine back issues. These will contain review index details for the printed mags. That would (I'd imagine) serve as a suitable point of reference if needed.

For ported games, I believe our site lists quite a few stuff (eg. Krisialis and our conversions, plus the TBA games).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #110593, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:26, 17/7/2009, in reply to message #110592
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

I think one RISC OS site (you'll need to google) has downloadable arcscan data for all the Archive magazine back issues. These will contain review index details for the printed mags. That would (I'd imagine) serve as a suitable point of reference if needed.
Here?

http://www.danceswithferrets.org/phpArcScan/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Keith Kelly Message #110599, posted by Games at 21:57, 17/7/2009, in reply to message #110593
http://www.danceswithferrets.org/phpArcScan/
How can you view the full articles on that site? Do you need to become a member? All I can seem to get from the site is the summaries.

Editted Part

Never mind, just realised that the magazines are still being sold. Would have thought some of them could be free now.

[Edited by Games at 22:15, 17/7/2009]
________
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/46884.html?type=1
Guides I have written
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Keith Kelly Message #110625, posted by Games at 01:06, 22/7/2009, in reply to message #110599
For anyone that is interested, I have been working hard to improve the GameFAQs database of Acorn Archimedes games, as shown in the link below.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?platform=1058&game=&contrib=0&genre=0&region=0&date=1&developer=&publisher=&dist=0&sort=0&link=0&res=0&title=0&adv=1

I have just found out that the site admin accepts YouTube video data and "Info" data with this type of guide regarding the date it was released. If anyone wants to help improve this database, just post images of copyright information (Acorn Archimedes release) or "Info" data regarding the game AND identify the game that the image is about.

About the Wikipedia updates, I am still trying to figure out how to use Wikipedia, so I am unsure how long it will be before I am confortable enough to create an article on Wikipedia.

Finally, if you think that these updates are annoying, please tell me to stop and I will.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #110626, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:32, 22/7/2009, in reply to message #110625

Finally, if you think that these updates are annoying, please tell me to stop and I will.
Not at all! I think it's great that you're taking an interest in the platform (or its games, at least).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #110627, posted by richcheng at 10:42, 22/7/2009, in reply to message #110626

Not at all! I think it's great that you're taking an interest in the platform (or its games, at least).
Hear hear!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #110628, posted by arawnsley at 12:09, 22/7/2009, in reply to message #110625
R-Comp chap
Just a quick comment.

As far as I know, Cadaver and Cadaver:Payoff were never completed for Acorn machines.

Well, certainly Bitmap Brothers regard us as the holders of all their RISC OS games, and I've never seen it!

It was rumoured, I think, at one stage. And certainly most of their other games made it (Gods, Xenon 2, Chaos Engine, Magic Pockets).

I'm not sure if you can do it with GameFaqs, but it is probably worth linking the fact that the Krisalis titles are now under our ownership (R-Comp Interactive).

The 4th Dimension games (etype etc) are owned by APDL.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #110629, posted by filecore at 12:55, 22/7/2009, in reply to message #110628

Just out of curiosity, and talking of games like Gods, I know there were a whole load of ports from other platforms to the Acorn, but were there any successful major ports from the Acorn to more widespread platforms? I know there were a couple of less successful efforts (including TEK) but it'd be interesting to be able to see a list.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #110631, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:41, 22/7/2009, in reply to message #110629

Just out of curiosity, and talking of games like Gods, I know there were a whole load of ports from other platforms to the Acorn, but were there any successful major ports from the Acorn to more widespread platforms? I know there were a couple of less successful efforts (including TEK) but it'd be interesting to be able to see a list.
The ones I can think of, for varying degrees of 'success':
  • Elite (although it was obviously the BBC version that was first ported to other platforms, not the arc version)
  • Star Fighter 3000 (It was ported to the 3DO, then in the last couple of years back-ported to RISC OS, as SF3000:TNG)
  • Pushy II (Appeared on a PS1 cover disc - but since it's a freeware game it may not count)
  • Ankh - Later versions made their way onto PC & DS
  • Asylum - After the source code was released a few years ago a Linux/SDL version sprang up.
  • Hamsters - Tom Cooper was working on a mobile version a while ago, under the name Killer RoboRabbits from Mars.
There was also an aborted attempt at porting Stunt Racer 2000 to the Sega Saturn. And of course there was Iron Dignity, which never made it out on RISC OS, but eventually found release as Stealth Comat on PC.

I was also going to say Super Foul Egg, since the RISC OS version of that was ported to Java, but the RISC OS version was a port of the Amiga version anyway (and that was a clone of another game, etc.)

It wouldn't surprise me if educational games had more success at being ported away from RISC OS than the game-games had success!

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 13:42, 22/7/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #110632, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:51, 22/7/2009, in reply to message #110631

You've made me go all nostalgic now, you bastards! tongue

*bumps "add ARM-on-ARM JIT emulation to RPCEmu" a couple of notches further up his todo list*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #110633, posted by arawnsley at 14:17, 22/7/2009, in reply to message #110629
R-Comp chap
Star Fighter 3000 made a reasonably successful leap to 3DO and PC.

Zarch became Virus on PC/Amiga/ST (not sure about the latter) and subsequently spawned a sequel on PC. The original Zarch was (I believe) considered to be superior (pardon the pun) to Virus, because it was designed specifically to the strengths of platform.

I believe some of the early text adventures that were on the Arc may have been cross-ported as well, although I suspect those may be multi-platform as opposed to ports.

For example, the (slightly later) Magnetic Scrolls adventures were popular on the Arc, but were in fact cross platform games with Amiga, ST and PC versions (amongst others).

Off topic - noticed earlier in the thread that HoMM2 Price of Loyalty was described as "just a map pack". That's not the case, it includes a number of additional game components and has a new executable etc. It also improved the Map editor (random maps etc, I believe), so since expansions are generally listed separately in GameFaqs etc, I'd argue it should have a separate entry.

[Edited by arawnsley at 14:21, 22/7/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #110634, posted by filecore at 14:20, 22/7/2009, in reply to message #110631

Elite (although it was obviously the BBC version that was first ported to other platforms, not the arc version)
I'll discount that, because it wasn't originally an Arc game - we'd need a seperate thread for "how many BBC games..." etc.

Hamsters - Tom Cooper was working on a mobile version a while ago, under the name Killer RoboRabbits from Mars.
Hee, I didn't know that! Good list, thanks.

EDIT: wtf. Bizarre quote breakage. Fixed now.

[Edited by filecore at 17:38, 22/7/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #110650, posted by andrew at 20:54, 24/7/2009, in reply to message #110625
HandbagHandbag Boi
For anyone that is interested, I have been working hard to improve the GameFAQs database of Acorn Archimedes games, as shown in the link below.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?platform=1058&game=&contrib=0&genre=0&region=0&date=1&developer=&publisher=&dist=0&sort=0&link=0&res=0&title=0&adv=1

I have just found out that the site admin accepts YouTube video data and "Info" data with this type of guide regarding the date it was released. If anyone wants to help improve this database, just post images of copyright information (Acorn Archimedes release) or "Info" data regarding the game AND identify the game that the image is about.

About the Wikipedia updates, I am still trying to figure out how to use Wikipedia, so I am unsure how long it will be before I am confortable enough to create an article on Wikipedia.

Well I've had emails from various authors over the years but they might be hard to dig out now e.g. Iron Lord, The Dungeon

For a starter Jason Togneri has an Iron Lord website, Richard Goodwin did the 2D graphics for Darkwood, RComp can give you stacks of information on their games, Jeffrey Lee knows a thing or two about Tom Cooper's games.

You could ask on Stairway to Hell (Archimedes section), comp.sys.acorn.games.

Peter Scott/van Peebles (not the BBC game author) has videos of lots of games - perhaps he could contribute screenshots?

Ian Robinson who co-wrote Karma has posted a lot to csag which is archived by Google.

Also many ex-Acorn folk frequent Drobe, you could email them to request any further information.

Please keep us updated.

[Edited by andrew at 20:54, 24/7/2009]

[Edited by andrew at 20:55, 24/7/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Keith Kelly Message #110651, posted by Games at 20:58, 24/7/2009, in reply to message #110323
Just to update everyone on what I have been doing lately for the Acorn Archimedes on GameFAQs.

I have added more game data to the website to bring the total amount of games in their database to 96. Only need 4 more games to bring the total to 100 and am working on that atm.

I have also completed a guide for All-In Boxing. Although I have another guide that I wish to complete soon, if anyone wants a guide for a game that is listed in the GameFAQs database, just request it here and I will try my best to create a guide for the requested game (if I can get a hold of the game in question legally).
________
Guides I have written
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Keith Kelly Message #110653, posted by Games at 21:03, 24/7/2009, in reply to message #110628
I'm not sure if you can do it with GameFaqs, but it is probably worth linking the fact that the Krisalis titles are now under our ownership (R-Comp Interactive).

The 4th Dimension games (etype etc) are owned by APDL.
GameFAQs mainly cares about the owner of the copyright game when it was released. However, I will add that information into any guides I write for the games that those companies made.
________
Guides I have written
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Keith Kelly Message #111041, posted by Games at 16:11, 20/8/2009, in reply to message #110323
Haven't updated the list, just moved it to another website.

Started writing a guide for Moon Dash to attempt to get another game completed on GameFAQs. Another user of that site has written a guide for Blitz and submitting Screenshots, so I can hope that there will be more around the corner that can complete the list.

I am finding Wikipedia very hard to use or create new articles, so I will probably skip Wikipedia articles and allow someone else to try and fix those broken articles.
________
Guides I have written
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #111632, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:18, 14/10/2009, in reply to message #110629

This may be a coincidence, but behold Rush Rush Rally Racing for the Dreamcast - which immediately reminded me of High Risc Racing for the Arc.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2009/10/dreamcast-preview-rush-rush-rally-racing/
hrr1.png 640x512 41.7KB
hrr1.png
640x512
41.7KB
hrr2.png 640x512 31.3KB
hrr2.png
640x512
31.3KB

^[ Log in to reply ]

sorvad Message #112767, posted by sorvad at 22:47, 8/1/2010, in reply to message #110355
More suggestions from http://www.doggysoft.co.uk/chmod.html - these may be PD games

Ace Crusader
Annihil-8
AntiGrav
Artemis
Sorcery
Super Fowl Egg (was this free/shareware?)
Ace Crusader was an Arc World cover disk program, not sure if the others were. Copyright I think is with Quercus.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #112773, posted by andrew at 13:48, 9/1/2010, in reply to message #112767
HandbagHandbag Boi
SFE was shareware initially IIRC.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (3): |< < 3

The Icon Bar: Games: List of Acorn Archimedes Games