User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Acorn Computers Ltd (2006) dissolved

Acorn Computers Ltd (2006) dissolved
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Mark Message #112183, posted by Mark76 at 21:45, 9/12/2009, in reply to message #112177
Mark76

There's now a site.

http://acorncomputers.info

Someone or somepeople from the community.
Perhaps, but they've got the logo wrong, the second one is Acorn (the one we know) from the late 90's.

The Acorn from 2006 had this logo

http://acorncomputers.co.uk/images/Acorn-Logo.gif
I thought there was something wrong. Just couldn't quite put my finger on it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #112195, posted by swirlythingy at 19:36, 10/12/2009, in reply to message #112183

There's now a site.

http://acorncomputers.info

Someone or somepeople from the community.
Perhaps, but they've got the logo wrong, the second one is Acorn (the one we know) from the late 90's.

The Acorn from 2006 had this logo

http://acorncomputers.co.uk/images/Acorn-Logo.gif
I thought there was something wrong. Just couldn't quite put my finger on it.
Whatever the original picture on the website was, it matches the one Peter found now.

Are they TIB readers, then?

OI, YOU! SHOW YOURSELF! cool
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #112196, posted by filecore at 20:10, 10/12/2009, in reply to message #112195

That war quick!

*listens for the sound of black helicopters*

Unfortunately, they left the 'original' logo in place, instead of swapping it for the one they replaced with the one flibble linked to. Bad quality.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Roberts Message #112197, posted by daveroberts at 21:50, 10/12/2009, in reply to message #112196
I'm starting to feel paranoid now. It's changed again.

Come out, come out where ever you are. big grin

We don't bite. Honest wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #112199, posted by filecore at 07:32, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112197

*cough*

And they forgot that the original Acorn logo had a dancing elephant inside the top half of the acorn.

*cough*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Roberts Message #112211, posted by daveroberts at 17:21, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112199
I now know who this is. I can confirm that they are from the community and would like to help the community in general.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #112212, posted by diodesign at 17:28, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112211
diodesign
The Opposition

I now know who this is. I can confirm that they are from the community and would like to help the community in general.
So who is it?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #112213, posted by andypoole at 17:29, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112211
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

If they're "from the commmunity", perhaps they'd like to come forward and tell the rest of the community who they are, then. Is there really any reason to keep everything a secret?

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #112220, posted by VincceH at 18:15, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112213
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

If they're "from the commmunity", perhaps they'd like to come forward and tell the rest of the community who they are, then. Is there really any reason to keep everything a secret?
Secrecy can be good publicity - demonstrated in this case by the discussion/speculation here and on csa.misc.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Message #112224, posted by Mark76 at 19:16, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112220
Mark76

Do they have the backing to support their ambitions?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #112230, posted by filecore at 20:21, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112220

Secrecy can be good publicity - demonstrated in this case by the discussion/speculation here and on csa.misc.
Not in this case. Now we think they're a bunch of cowardly incompetents who can't even get the basic logo correct until they steal the correction from a forum. If they would like to defend themselves against this accusation, they should come forward and identify themselves, and perhaps engage in intercourse* with the RISC OS community.

*social, naturally
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112233, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 20:53, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112230
I guess that would be me then.

Good evening to everyone. Sorry about not stepping forward earlier, however out of courtesy, I had to inform a couple of people, that I have been working on a personal Acorn project with, what the situation was first.

The logo was a mistake on my part. Although I had only linked to the wrong picture, which is how it was changed so quickly.

I am an active member of the Acorn community and feel quite strongly about the situation with the Acorn name and Logo.

Although I have not been active on TIB, I do take a great deal of interest and have spoken with several people from both the site and from RISC OS Open and Pace. I am also friends with several people from The Stairway To Hell and Retro Software sites and forum.

It was not my intention of being secretive, but some of you are damn quick. wink

Please feel free to ask any questions, and I will answer how I can.

Best Regards
Andrew Hodgson
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #112241, posted by VincceH at 21:56, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112233
VincceH

When are you going to correct "Risc OS" to "RISC OS" on your page? tongue

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #112242, posted by VincceH at 22:00, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112230
VincceH

Not in this case.
Note: Good doesn't necessarily mean positive, only that it "worked" - and it did (albeit accidentally judging by what Andrew has said) in the sense that the company and site is being actively discussed here and on usenet. Whether the opinions formed as a result of that publicity are positive or negative is another matter.

Now we think they're a bunch of cowardly incompetents who can't even get the basic logo correct until they steal the correction from a forum. If they would like to defend themselves against this accusation, they should come forward and identify themselves, and perhaps engage in intercourse* with the RISC OS community.
Ewwww!

*social, naturally
Oh. I see. Okay.

Isn't lowering the tone my job?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112244, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 22:32, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112241
When are you going to correct "Risc OS" to "RISC OS" on your page? tongue

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
All done. smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #112246, posted by bhtooefr at 22:34, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112244
Not quite. Check lower on the page. wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112248, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 23:08, 11/12/2009, in reply to message #112246
Not quite. Check lower on the page. wink
blush busy day and late night.

Thanks
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #112251, posted by filecore at 06:29, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112233

I know it's probably too early to say, and you might not want to give away your game plan (not that there's much worry of competition, in this paricular market) but I'm curious to know some more specifics about this:

We hope to bring support, add-ons and software for the Classic Acorn systems.
I mean, you must have had something already in mind when you put that there... add-ons, for example?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112254, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 10:27, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112251
I know it's probably too early to say, and you might not want to give away your game plan (not that there's much worry of competition, in this paricular market) but I'm curious to know some more specifics about this:

We hope to bring support, add-ons and software for the Classic Acorn systems.
I mean, you must have had something already in mind when you put that there... add-ons, for example?
I'm going to half answer this one. Simply because some of it isn't confirmed yet.

Support: One of the biggest things that the company plans to do is to track down, "lost" software, hardware, documents (for example, there is practically no documentation for the Atom) which makes it a lot harder to develop for.
We also hope to get licensing agreements for key software to be used my the community.
We have some very talented people within the community and we have people that have great ideas. Maybe someone has both but doesn't have the time. We would be able to help them to bring that idea to life.
As much as possible of the software and documentation will be available (mostly for free) on the website, and where possible the software would become open source.

Add-ons: This is a difficult area to talk about because of ongoing talks, however I have already been approached my interested parties, that would like to have their project made available to the community. In some cases we will be working with them to create a polished product, or help with marketing it for them.

Software: Again, this comes down to tracking "lost" software, gaining the permission from the author's and distributors, and creating new software. For one project, that we have been approached with, we would be looking at modifying RISC OS, to make the application and use of the produce more intuitive and easier to use.

We have some truly talented people on the Acorn/RISC community, and sometimes all they need is that little bit of help from the right person.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112255, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 10:28, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112254
There is also a similar discussion taking place on The Stairway To Hell forums, so please feel free to have a look there as well.

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/index2.html

[Edited by Andy_Hodgson at 14:36, 12/12/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #112256, posted by VincceH at 10:43, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112255
VincceH

There is also a similar discussion taking place on The Stairway To Hell forums, so please feel free to have a look there as well.
When pointing people in the direction of another site/forum, a link is always useful!

I see you are on Twitter. Presumably you will make good use of that for posting snippets/updates etc? (A combination of WordPress and one of the Twitter plug-ins is a good plan.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #112257, posted by filecore at 14:17, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112256

In a way it's kind of ironic, the way that paying customers become a 'community' and feel like the logos and trademarks - themselves corporate commodities - are somehow theirs and should be treated respectfully. Does a paying customer have any right to demand things of a commercial interest beyond what's stipulated in the terms of the sales contract? When does a commodity become a lifestyle? Of course this is nothing new, and by no means unique to the Acorn/RISC OS community, but it's somewhat amusing nonetheless to see such partisanism around what is, effectively, a loaf of bread.

Perhaps it's to do with the fact that these things started very much in a home enthusiast market, and much of the potential of (in this case) the platform came from homebrew apps and volunteer developers - as shown by the huge popularity of the likes of Star Info, and of course the Yellow Pages of Acorn User throughout the late '70s and '80s. I know a lot of people take it seriously, especially considering the current state of the whole thing and bearing these current discussion threads in mind, but sometimes you've just gotta sit back and laugh.

rpc
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gavin Smith Message #112258, posted by SparkY at 14:47, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112257
Danger! Danger! High Voltage!
In a way it's kind of ironic, the way that paying customers become a 'community' and feel like the logos and trademarks - themselves corporate commodities - are somehow theirs and should be treated respectfully. Does a paying customer have any right to demand things of a commercial interest beyond what's stipulated in the terms of the sales contract? When does a commodity become a lifestyle?

[snip]
Sure, it's just a computer. It's just bits and pieces of hardware and software. It's not like we're fighting over countries or lives here. But still, people do become attached to things that are important to them and a sense of community especially grows around troubled times, and the Acorn community has had plenty of those wink

Of course, these days it's almost purely a hobby and not a commercial interest. I think if tinkering with Acorn stuff floats your boat, then why not!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112259, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 15:38, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112256

I see you are on Twitter. Presumably you will make good use of that for posting snippets/updates etc?
Yes, that's me. I will be keeping people updated on twitter, here and STH.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

George Greenfield Message #112260, posted by Bucksboy at 16:32, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112259
It's nice to see the Acorn company name reclaimed by a group of RISC OS devotees and I wish Andrew and his venture well. If it brings new money or energy into the platform, so much the better. I hope however that it doesn't divert energy or resources from the important work currently being done on the Beagleboard and related hardware ports by Jeffrey Lee and others under the auspices of ROOL, or the work to develop the RISC OS versions of Firefox and Netsurf (for example).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gavin Smith Message #112261, posted by SparkY at 16:54, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112260
Danger! Danger! High Voltage!
It's nice to see the Acorn company name reclaimed by a group of RISC OS devotees and I wish Andrew and his venture well. If it brings new money or energy into the platform, so much the better. I hope however that it doesn't divert energy or resources from the important work currently being done on the Beagleboard and related hardware ports by Jeffrey Lee and others under the auspices of ROOL, or the work to develop the RISC OS versions of Firefox and Netsurf (for example).
I don't see how it would detract from any of the above. Seems like a nice complement if Andrew manages to bring something to fruition.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112262, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 17:28, 12/12/2009, in reply to message #112260
We will not be diverting any energy from the current projects, I fully believe that this work needs to happen and the community must continue to move forward.

I for one would love to see RISC OS continue to improve and push forward and I have no intention of stepping in the way of that.

If there are ways that either myself or the company can assist, we will but RISC OS is being perfectly looked after by Steve and so many other talented people that I have no doubts that RISC OS will continue and thrive in the future.
(Plus we have some projects that we want to use RISC OS for as well) wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Message #112263, posted by Mark76 at 05:48, 13/12/2009, in reply to message #112262
Mark76

Will your projects include porting ROS to ARM chips made more recently than 1998?

I can understand why it might be tricky to port it to x86-32/64. But I really can't fathom why there's been no effort to do so to newer generation ARMs.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #112264, posted by bhtooefr at 05:56, 13/12/2009, in reply to message #112263
Um, RISC OS Open?

That's being ported to a Cortex-A8-based TI OMAP3530, one of the newest ARMs that you can actually buy.

[Edited by bhtooefr at 05:57, 13/12/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #112265, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 06:32, 13/12/2009, in reply to message #112263
TBH, I haven't had time yet to sit down with Steve or Paul to discuss involvement in the RISC OS core development. However as mentioned, there is work being carried out on the beagleboard which is very interesting and with the announcement from ARM of a Cortex-A9 2GHz dual core processor, I feel that RISC could be about to get a serious boost.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (6): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: General: Acorn Computers Ltd (2006) dissolved