Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: A tale of increased RISC OS productivity

A tale of increased RISC OS productivity
  swirlythingy (22:15 15/12/2009)
  pnaulls (22:23 15/12/2009)
    swirlythingy (22:30 15/12/2009)
  adrianl (15:58 19/12/2009)
    swirlythingy (16:04 19/12/2009)
      fwibbler (10:16 20/12/2009)

Martin Bazley Message #112381, posted by swirlythingy at 22:15, 15/12/2009

I have just finished successfully converting a 2010 calendar featuring my photography to PDF, suitable for sending to a commercial printers. It has taken me all evening!

Basically, my problems are twofold:

(1) GhostScript crashes when you pass it JPEGs, but handles sprites OK.

(2) Calibre crashes when you pass it sprites, but handles JPEGs OK.

My solution:

(1) Load each JPEG into PrivateEye.

(2) Choose the 'Convert to sprite' option.

(3) Save the sprite to Draw.

(4) Save the drawfile into a new directory and pass that to Calibre instead.

Of course, the sprites are VERY large (print quality), which means the whole calendar takes about sixty times longer to print and convert to PDF (we're talking the best part of an hour, even on an Iyonix).

And of course when I'd finally finished, I discovered I'd forgotten to delete the default RLDs and my calendar was liberally spattered with words like 'Birthday#3' and 'Overlap#1'! Crybaby

I shouldn't say it, but...

This would never happen in peecee-land.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Naulls Message #112382, posted by pnaulls at 22:23, 15/12/2009, in reply to message #112381

True, most of those apps don't exist in Windows, (assuming that's what you mean by the vernacular "peecee"). My "peecees" run Linux.

Anyway, the Ghostscript port could do with an update. MW and I have done a little bit of work on this.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #112384, posted by swirlythingy at 22:30, 15/12/2009, in reply to message #112382

True, most of those apps don't exist in Windows, (assuming that's what you mean by the vernacular "peecee"). My "peecees" run Linux.
You mean there's no calendar app for Windows? I thought the 'killer app' was dead...

Anyway, the Ghostscript port could do with an update. MW and I have done a little bit of work on this.
Good news - I could send you the error output, but since the first line was "ERROR: Undefined in zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" I somehow don't think it'll be much help.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #112434, posted by adrianl at 15:58, 19/12/2009, in reply to message #112381

There's a missing link here, surely, since you go on to describe a roundabout way of loading your JPEG images into Calibre?

I shouldn't say it, but...

Maybe, maybe not. Of course to make the comparison fairly, you would have to try it.

I admit to being jaded when it comes to computers, because I see their potential, but it's always been my experience with any computer platform that it will throw numerous obstacles in your way when trying to complete the simplest of tasks, especially if it's something you've not attempted before.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #112436, posted by swirlythingy at 16:04, 19/12/2009, in reply to message #112434

There's a missing link here, surely, since you go on to describe a roundabout way of loading your JPEG images into Calibre?
Calibre recognises only JPEGs and drawfiles - unfortunately, GhostScript recognises only sprites and drawfiles. Therefore the only solution acceptable to both of them is to wrap a sprite in a drawfile.

(Yes, I tried - JPEGs in drawfiles don't work.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

fwibbler Message #112454, posted by fwibbler at 10:16, 20/12/2009, in reply to message #112436
fwibbler

If you should end up using Windows to do this then:
I use Textease to layout the calendar and then pdf995 to print to pdf file.
http://www.pdf995.com/

The conversion to pdf takes only a few seconds (10 or so).
Most of the time is spent laying it all out in Textease, but you could substitute that for any program that then allows you to print in the normal way.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: A tale of increased RISC OS productivity