User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Related articles
- Software Preservation at the ROUGOL Show
- Arculator updated to add A4 emulation and more podule support
- Acorn Preservation Team want to help archive your old data before it's too late
- Games news
- Software preservation project bearing fruit
- Old games on new screens
- Newsround
- Bob and Trev: Resurrection: Just in time
- Monster AI
- Combat
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: APDL make their PD catalogue available for free download

APDL make their PD catalogue available for free download

Posted by Jeffrey Lee on 14:15, 25/3/2010 | , ,

APDLAPDL, long-time distributor of Public Domain and not-so Public Domain software, have taken the next logical step from distributing their PD/freeware collection on floppy disc or CD and have begun distributing it online instead. Apart from the obvious advantage to the end-user of being able to access the software immediately, APDL have also decided to forgoe charging any nominal download fees, making the archive truly free.

Of course the age of much of the software is likely to make its relevance somewhat limited (especially if it's not 32bit compatible, or even StrongARM compatible) - but by making the archive available free of charge APDL have given Acorn preservation enthusiasts a big helping hand, and for that this move should be applauded.

APDL point out that not all the software from their PD/freeware catalogue has found its way online yet, so some patience may be necessary if your favourite bit of software is missing.

Links

APDL make their PD catalogue available for free download
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

David Holden Message #114025, posted by apdl at 13:26, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114023
Just to make it absolutely clear. No-one who downloaded material from my site could possibly have got anything corrupt or infected. So if you did download anything it's perfectly OK.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #114026, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:54, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114016
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

If he owns up and apologises I might consider re-instating it but for now it's gone. Perhaps I might change my mind and make it available again when he grows up, reaches puberty and discovers girls (or more likely, given his social skills, sheep).
What if he discovers NUTFACE? tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Naulls Message #114029, posted by pnaulls at 15:49, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114024

I mean just ask that person that tried to revive Acorn, what an idiot he was.
Please, let's not try and blame your disorganisation and lack of research on anyone but yourself.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #114032, posted by flibble at 16:22, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114029
flibble

Please, let's not try and blame your disorganisation and lack of research on anyone but yourself.
Chocky, stop being a cunt.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

vanpeebles Message #114033, posted by vanpeebles at 16:47, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114032
laugh Now that was quality.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #114034, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 16:52, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114032

Chocky, stop being a cunt.
It's Okay, I know I was a cunt. I was trying to be ironic, but it seemed to have gone over some heads.

I was trying to point out that, just because some people or person has taken it upon themselves to upload copyrighted material to a P2P server, I felt that David's reaction was over the top.
To say that he had corrupted files and thought about added virus's then to pull everything off line, does not help himself, his business or the legitimate end user of the APDL software but just drives more people to find the software through illegal means.
I think that fact that David took the time and energy to make available the software for legal download is something to be applauded, however his attitude in this instance is counter productive.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #114035, posted by nunfetishist at 17:06, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114034
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

I think that fact that David took the time and energy to make available the software for legal download is something to be applauded, however his attitude in this instance is counter productive.
Especially given it reduces his bandwidth bills, and ensures the information remains available, even after he leaves (like he has so often threatened.)

But facts, meh.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #114038, posted by flibble at 18:04, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114034
flibble

It's Okay, I know I was a cunt. I was trying to be ironic, but it seemed to have gone over some heads.
To let you know, my comment was not aimed at you Mister Hodgson.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Hodgson Message #114039, posted by Andy_Hodgson at 18:32, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114038
To let you know, my comment was not aimed at you Mister Hodgson.
I know and my comment was pointed elsewhere as well. wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #114040, posted by bhtooefr at 20:14, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114025
Then what are you claiming to have corrupted, or what are you implying may be infected?

Because a casual browse through the list of software that Acorn Antiques posted shows that, at least some of it appears to be CDs that you sold. So you corrupted CDs that you sold, intentionally? Isn't that fraud?

By the way, don't try to edit your post from earlier. I got a screengrab earlier today.

http://bhtooefr.ath.cx/images/apdlvirus.png
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #114041, posted by swirlythingy at 20:37, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114040

Hey, how come you get a 'block user' button? Sniff

Anyway, I don't think DH was being entirely serious. Apart from anything else, where would he get viruses from? I know he runs a PD library, but surely there are limits...

I personally think David is taking the whole issue of copyright a little too much to heart for someone who makes (or made) a living selling other people's work which they had explicitly licensed as 'freeware'.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Soereboe Message #114042, posted by Soereboe at 20:56, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114041
As its cleared now the files was ok?, it was bad thing that "anyone" put so little respect in the work and godwill of others.
Surely its a pirate point of view to put them in piratebay. Not exactly just beeing helpful to the server, or.
APDL is the /library who had effort and let us get them in first place, thanks! by p2p´ing it that would probably just
step on the source i guess.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Eric Rucker Message #114043, posted by bhtooefr at 20:59, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114041
Hey, how come you get a 'block user' button? Sniff
Probably post count?

Anyway, I don't think DH was being entirely serious. Apart from anything else, where would he get viruses from? I know he runs a PD library, but surely there are limits...
If there's any circulating in the wild, wouldn't be TOO hard to get them. Even look for reports on Usenet of some archive being infected, and go grab them.

I personally think David is taking the whole issue of copyright a little too much to heart for someone who makes (or made) a living selling other people's work which they had explicitly licensed as 'freeware'.
Not only that, but he was offering this stuff for free, from his site.

This means that DH isn't losing anything. In fact, the "scumbag" in question is helping DH, by reducing his bandwidth costs. If anything, DH should be paying said "scumbag" for his services of packaging, distributing, and providing bandwidth.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #114044, posted by nunfetishist at 22:51, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114043
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

Not only that, but he was offering this stuff for free, from his site.

This means that DH isn't losing anything. In fact, the "scumbag" in question is helping DH, by reducing his bandwidth costs. If anything, DH should be paying said "scumbag" for his services of packaging, distributing, and providing bandwidth.
As I said, "Meh, facts."
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #114045, posted by swirlythingy at 22:59, 20/4/2010, in reply to message #114044

As I said, "Meh, facts."
The NetSurf vertical scrollbar tells me you said "Facts, meh." tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #114046, posted by tlsa at 07:44, 21/4/2010, in reply to message #114045

What do you mean? Is there a bug?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #114047, posted by VincceH at 07:48, 21/4/2010, in reply to message #114046
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

What do you mean? Is there a bug?
What? Do you mean you didn't intend to make the scrollbar artificially intelligent?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

van Engelen Thomas Message #114051, posted by highlandcattle at 19:36, 21/4/2010, in reply to message #114047
I think David Holden is more upset about that same person also offering RISC OS 6 and all other roms free for download. Obviously it is somebody he knows and trusted not to spread things around

[Edited by highlandcattle at 07:24, 23/4/2010]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mike Message #114073, posted by MikeCarter at 16:11, 22/4/2010, in reply to message #114051
MikeCarter

I think David Holden is more upset about that same person also offering RISC OS 6 and all other roms free for download. Obviously it is somebody he knows and thrusted not to spread things around
Thats terrible! I really want to see this guy named.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #114075, posted by moss at 17:01, 22/4/2010, in reply to message #114051

Obviously it is somebody he knows and thrusted
Drool
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

vanpeebles Message #114076, posted by vanpeebles at 17:06, 22/4/2010, in reply to message #114075
Maybe the viruses occurred after the thrusting?

[Edited by vanpeebles at 18:18, 22/4/2010]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Heaton Message #114078, posted by robheaton at 17:27, 22/4/2010, in reply to message #114076
I would imagine that I am on Dave Holdens short list as the person behind the torrents. (As I have noticed that Dave no longer replies to my Emails.)

I can assure you I'm not, I did share some ISO's back in January, then deleted them and shutdown the server after Dave Holden contacted me. I didn't share anything with intent to upset anyone, and to be honest I thought I was sharing public domain/shareware software. As soon as I found out otherwise I stopped!

[Edited by robheaton at 18:31, 22/4/2010]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Holden Message #114083, posted by apdl at 05:14, 23/4/2010, in reply to message #114078
I would imagine that I am on Dave Holdens short list as the person behind the torrents. (As I have noticed that Dave no longer replies to my Emails.)
Actually I never thought it was you, I know exactly who did it and I appreciate that your case was altogether different and you acted properly as soon as it was pointed out so I certainly don't bear any ill will over it.

AFAIK I haven't not replied to any of your e-mails, definitely not deliberately, so please do contact me again if there's anything I can help with.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Heaton Message #114084, posted by robheaton at 06:52, 23/4/2010, in reply to message #114083
Actually I never thought it was you, I know exactly who did it and I appreciate that your case was altogether different and you acted properly as soon as it was pointed out so I certainly don't bear any ill will over it.

AFAIK I haven't not replied to any of your e-mails, definitely not deliberately, so please do contact me again if there's anything I can help with.
Thanks Dave, I'm glad there is no ill between us. I have sent you another Email this morning.
I'm sorry I thought you were ignoring me.

I should have just picked up the phone and spoken to you directly, instead of just assuming!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

vanpeebles Message #114085, posted by vanpeebles at 07:48, 23/4/2010, in reply to message #114084
Meh! I tried that and got an rude angry person on the other end.

[Edited by vanpeebles at 09:01, 23/4/2010]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #114087, posted by andypoole at 08:25, 23/4/2010, in reply to message #114085
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Meh! I tried that and got an rude angry person on the other end.
Really? But the RISC OS world always seems so friendly. </sarcasm>
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Usher Message #114743, posted by MarkieMark at 09:08, 30/6/2010, in reply to message #114016
Hopefully lots of freetards will grab this 1.3GB torrent and then find out that a lot of the bits they really want either aren't there or are corrupted smile

Anyway, thanks to the activity of this scumbag (yes, I do know who you are) I've now withdrawn the whole thing. Perhaps I'll even name him so you'll all know who to blame.

If he owns up and apologises I might consider re-instating it but for now it's gone. Perhaps I might change my mind and make it available again when he grows up, reaches puberty and discovers girls (or more likely, given his social skills, sheep).
So why don't you make the official CD image available as a torrent distribution. Far easier on your own bandwidth to distribute and make available.

And then what about all the documentation you have downloaded from internet websites and re-distrribute on CDs with kit you sell on eBay without asking permission? Not to mention selling them on with some games which are still in copyright already installed. Pot... Kettle...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #114744, posted by swirlythingy at 10:52, 30/6/2010, in reply to message #114743

Disregarding the thread necromancy, which is bread and butter to us around here, do you really have to reopen old flamewars?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #114745, posted by flibble at 10:59, 30/6/2010, in reply to message #114744
flibble

do you really have to reopen old flamewars?
I thought that was bread and butter around here too big grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #114976, posted by flibble at 20:04, 12/8/2010, in reply to message #114745
flibble

[Edited by flibble at 20:29, 19/5/2023]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (3): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: News and features: APDL make their PD catalogue available for free download