User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Great 21st Century TV Themes

Great 21st Century TV Themes
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

John Hoare Message #116278, posted by moss at 13:54, 24/1/2011

So, I'm coming up with a list of great TV themes from 2000 onwards:

http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2011/01/every-galaxy/

Does anyone have any suggestions missing from that list?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116281, posted by VincceH at 14:42, 24/1/2011, in reply to message #116278
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

So, what about Star Trek: Enterprise, then? tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Willcocks Message #116282, posted by Stoppers at 14:50, 24/1/2011, in reply to message #116278
The Big Bang Theory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTSfOZUNLo
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #116287, posted by moss at 16:04, 24/1/2011, in reply to message #116282

So, what about Star Trek: Enterprise, then? tongue
Run away very fast.
The Big Bang Theory

Already on the list. (And, in fact, in the headline. Wouldn't be surprised if it wins when it comes to the vote...)

I want as many suggestions as possible for things that aren't on the list, though - when it does come to putting it to the vote, I don't want loads of people saying "Oh, my favourite isn't there..."
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Willcocks Message #116288, posted by Stoppers at 16:46, 24/1/2011, in reply to message #116287

The Big Bang Theory

Already on the list. (And, in fact, in the headline. Wouldn't be surprised if it wins when it comes to the vote...)
I hang my head in shame. unhappy

What I did was: I looked through the B's and then skipped to the T's at the end, which follow the S's, as you'd expect if the list didn't ignore "The", so I assumed that was all of the titles starting with "The"....
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116290, posted by VincceH at 18:30, 24/1/2011, in reply to message #116287
VincceH

I want as many suggestions as possible for things that aren't on the list, though - when it does come to putting it to the vote, I don't want loads of people saying "Oh, my favourite isn't there..."
I was going to suggest Angel - which is a brilliant theme tune, IMO - but it's just out of the running because I checked and Angel began in 1999.

One that should be on your list, though, is Alias. It's short and punchy - and the title sequence has Ms Garner generally looking hot in a number of different costumes.

Also notably absent is the Stargate Atlantis theme, which is the type of theme tune I really like for science fiction.

I was half tempted to suggest The Walking Dead, but their theme is a bit limp compared to the music used in this fan produced alternative.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116291, posted by VincceH at 19:33, 24/1/2011, in reply to message #116290
VincceH

A few more I can think of, but can't be bothered to search for examples of on YouTube (mainly because I did start searching for a couple of these and got bored searching through crappy fan offerings)

Dead Like Me
Deadwood
The Dead Zone
Dollhouse
Haven
Jeremiah
Leverage
Primeval
Supernatural
Tru Calling
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #116292, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:44, 24/1/2011, in reply to message #116290
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1st or 2nd season, take your pick).
Erm... Lost?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #116293, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:43, 24/1/2011, in reply to message #116292
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

The 10th Kingdom.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #116294, posted by monkeyson2 at 21:40, 24/1/2011, in reply to message #116293
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Apologies if I've repeated any here - I'm typing this on my iPhone...

State of Play
TV Burp
Harry and Paul
Early Doors

Does the new version of The League Of Gentlemen's theme tune in the third series count?

I'm not sure if it was ever broadcast, but I like the extended version of the Torchwood theme tune on the first soundtrack album.

EDIT: SHAUN THE SHEEP

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 00:10, 25/1/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #116297, posted by trevj at 07:53, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116294
Timmy Time
timmytime.PNG 446x251 120.6KB
timmytime.PNG
446x251
120.6KB

^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116298, posted by VincceH at 09:46, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116294
VincceH

In keeping with TV themes (and therefore TV shows), I give you...

iPhone...
...product placement!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Willcocks Message #116299, posted by Stoppers at 10:39, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116298

iPhone...
...product placement!
I get the impression that there's a default signature file on iPhones and iPads, something like "Sent from my iPhone". Googling for that phrase comes up with 1.7 million hits (and Yahoo suggests the search "remove sent from my iphone"), so I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Sneaky.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116300, posted by filecore at 10:55, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116297

Timmy Time
Ha! My ten-month-old son loves that. Even if you just play the intro/theme over and over again, he's transfixed smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #116301, posted by monkeyson2 at 11:07, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116298

I get the impression that there's a default signature file on iPhones and iPads, something like "Sent from my iPhone". Googling for that phrase comes up with 1.7 million hits (and Yahoo suggests the search "remove sent from my iphone"), so I'm pretty sure that's the case.
I think Blackberry were first to do this...?

iPhone...
...product placement!
But I was apologising because it was too slow and hard to use it to check what everybody else had posted everywhere! tongue

Sent by work's Dell Pukey
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116303, posted by VincceH at 11:36, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116301
VincceH

I think Blackberry were first to do this...?
In this case, though, it wasn't the signature, but a part of Monkeyson's explanation.

iPhone...
...product placement!
But I was apologising because it was too slow and hard to use it to check what everybody else had posted everywhere! tongue
But it still boils down to a particular pet peeve of mine - and you may remember I've pointed it out to you before on Twitter.

It's that I've noticed a tendency amongst users of the iPhone that they will use the name of the product - iPhone - where the normal noun - phone - would be more than sufficient.

"Oops, I've left my iPhone at home" versus "Oops, I've left my phone at home"

Or "Let me just look that up on my iPhone" versus "Let me just look that up on my phone"

Or, as in this case, "I'm typing this on my iPhone..." versus "I'm typing this on my phone..."

I think most smartphones (or even older mobiles that don't fall into that category) are likely to be a similarly slow and hard to use - certainly those I've ever used - so it's just another example of the same.

I'm not sure what causes it. It surely can't be smartphone snobbery (because I can't see what's so special about the iPhone), so I'm guessing it's down to Apple's brainwashing of its users.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #116304, posted by trevj at 11:43, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116299
...default signature file on iPhones and iPads...
I believe it's possible to override this with an unbranded message such as "Sent from a mobile device". (I don't have one but I'm pretty sure my wife's set this up on hers.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #116305, posted by trevj at 12:10, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116300
Timmy Time
Ha! My ten-month-old son loves that. Even if you just play the intro/theme over and over again, he's transfixed smile
Our dentist found it for my 3yo son on YouTube on the overhead swivel screen they use to display x-ray results. It certainly calmed him down... however, the next time, he didn't need it at all.

And fortunately we escaped all that 'In The Night Garden' bollocks (and, with reference to that article, our son did not require a TV programme in order to learn to kiss people) by watching TV progs exclusively via the internet (so far, anyway). He's now progressed to DVDs, which are easier for us to censor manage. I guess we're bound to get him a TV one day, though.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #116309, posted by rich at 13:26, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116303
Rich
Dictator for life
I'm not sure what causes it. It surely can't be smartphone snobbery (because I can't see what's so special about the iPhone),
Oh, it can you know. I mean, it's more expensive and everything, even though it misses features like the ability to use Flash.
so I'm guessing it's down to Apple's brainwashing of its users.
I'm afraid I hang out on Sickipedia too much, but the jokes roughly go...

Q: How do you know the bloke with an iPhone's a cunt?
A1: Everyone tells him
A2: Didn't I just tell you he has an iPhone?

Q: How do you know that cunt's got an iPhone?
A: He tells you. At every available opportunity.

Anyway, I have a Nokia off eBay.

And back on topic, I love the theme tune to House, but only the American version, because it's Teardrop by Massive Attack. The British theme is all jangly like they emailed a Midi file and it's got all the samples wrong.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #116311, posted by swirlythingy at 13:38, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116278

Bugger, and I really thought it was going to be a thread about Barry Gray, too. tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #116312, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:41, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116303

I'm not sure what causes it. It surely can't be smartphone snobbery (because I can't see what's so special about the iPhone), so I'm guessing it's down to Apple's brainwashing of its users.
Back in the 80s I'm sure I'd have said "I was listening to this great band on my Walkman" rather than "on my personal stereo" or, indeed, "on my WM-EX190".

I guess "iPhone" is such a similar word to "phone" that it's easy to use in conversation, whereas something like "HTC" or "smartphone" or "Nexus 1" is just too much of a mouthful, and may require further explanation. Everyone knows what an iPhone is.

Maybe there's also some element of naming the thing to avoid doing so later. You say "I was trying to look at this website on my Acorn and it wouldn't work" rather than "on my computer". Even if it isn't relevant, you get into the habit.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #116313, posted by rich at 13:49, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116312
Rich
Dictator for life
Back in the 80s I'm sure I'd have said "I was listening to this great band on my Walkman" rather than "on my personal stereo" or, indeed, "on my WM-EX190".

I guess "iPhone" is such a similar word to "phone" that it's easy to use in conversation, whereas something like "HTC" or "smartphone" or "Nexus 1" is just too much of a mouthful, and may require further explanation. Everyone knows what an iPhone is.

Maybe there's also some element of naming the thing to avoid doing so later. You say "I was trying to look at this website on my Acorn and it wouldn't work" rather than "on my computer". Even if it isn't relevant, you get into the habit.
Nope, just iPhone wankery, go on, admit it tongue

p.s. I would have said "Sorry, I was listening to my music" not "this great band" or "on my <anything>". People would get it without thinking I was picking up Radio 1 on my fillings.

Gah, now to bring it back on topic I have to think of another theme tune I like. And not mention any The Who/CSI. Usually I fast-forward the credits. Err.... Chuck? Weeds? Actually, a lot of American shows just have a tiny music sting so they can shoehorn in more adverts unhappy
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116315, posted by VincceH at 14:55, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116312
VincceH

Walkman is to personal stereos as Hoover is to vacuum cleaner - although it was the name of one particular make, it became the generic term for the device itself. This is not so of the iPhone. (And, by the way, I didn't. I did actually refer to them as personal stereos - just as I do actually refer to vacuum cleaners as vacuum cleaners).

(And, Grr, I've heard too many Apple types dropping the definite article - I initially wrote 'This is not so of iPhone')

I guess "iPhone" is such a similar word to "phone" that it's easy to use in conversation,
I don't buy that - especially when the word "iPhone" is preceeded by the word "my". I think "my phone" is easier to say than "my iPhone" - and the latter is in danger of sounding like some kind of speech impediment. As for typing, you have a whole extra letter to type, along with a shift for the second one. Taking the extra time to do that is at odds with your subsequent comment that you were explaining why it was slow and hard.

Nope.

I don't buy it.

You belong to Steve Jobs now, and don't you forget it.

whereas something like "HTC" or "smartphone" or "Nexus 1" is just too much of a mouthful, and may require further explanation. Everyone knows what an iPhone is.
Yeah. A fashion statement.

Which comment does remind me - I meant to add to my earlier comment that when I was just setting off for the office this morning, I realised I'd left my phone at home and quickly dived in to get it - but even then, I didn't mutter to myself "Oops, I've left my HTC Desire at home", it was "Oops, I've left my phone at home".

Well, actually, it was "Bollocksyshitcrap" not "Oops" but you get the picture. smile

I never have got into that habit. I'd only say "my Acorn" (and in fact I'd be more inclined to say "my RiscPC running [OS]" or whatever) if that information's relevant.

[Edited by VincceH at 14:57, 25/1/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #116317, posted by monkeyson2 at 15:45, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116315

Which comment does remind me - I meant to add to my earlier comment that when I was just setting off for the office this morning, I realised I'd left my phone at home and quickly dived in to get it - but even then, I didn't mutter to myself "Oops, I've left my HTC Desire at home", it was "Oops, I've left my phone at home".
Thinking about it more, I've realised that I actually refer to the portable electronic device in my pocket in different ways depending on what I'm using it for. When I'm thinking about music, it's my iPod. When I'm browsing and twittering, it's an iPhone. When I'm calling somebody, it's a phone. When I next want to take a photo, I'll probably think of getting my camera out, even though it'll be that same device.

I'm sorry but it's just the way my brain works with multifunction devices. tongue

As for typing, you have a whole extra letter to type, along with a shift for the second one. Taking the extra time to do that is at odds with your subsequent comment that you were explaining why it was slow and hard.
My iPhone auto-corrected it for me. tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #116318, posted by filecore at 16:28, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116317

I tend to say "my MP3 player" (Sandisk), "my phone" (Nokia), "my car" (Toyota), and "my computer" (home-built, no brand) - unless I'm talking to fellow nerds about the latter, in which case I might clarify slightly into desktop/laptop/headless generic *nix server/etc). I don't think I've *ever* referred to anything by its brand name in this context, because in 99.99% of cases the specific brand is utterly irrelevant to the conversation at hand. Only if it's a conversation comparing brands, or talking about a problem or technical concern of one particular brand, etc, do I bother specifying it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #116321, posted by trevj at 19:57, 25/1/2011, in reply to message #116313
Back in the 80s...
p.s. I would have said "Sorry, I was listening to my music" not "this great band" or "on my <anything>". People would get it without thinking I was picking up Radio 1 on my fillings.
And Radio 1's music would be at least somewhat likely to include great bands in the '80s, thanks to John Peel and Tommy Vance.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #116333, posted by VincceH at 09:38, 26/1/2011, in reply to message #116317
VincceH

Not sure what happened here - I made this comment yesterday but it doesn't seem to be here. I guess I didn't go further than the preview stage.

Before I'd had anything to drink.

I'm using it for. When I'm thinking about music, it's my iPod.
You don't have one of those as well, then?

When I'm browsing and twittering, it's an iPhone.
*Some naff joke about iBrowse.*

When I'm calling somebody, it's a phone.
What, no i? *shock* *horror*

Steve Jobs would be turning in his grave.

When I next want to take a photo, I'll probably think of getting my camera out, even though it'll be that same device.
When I want to take a photo I, too, will think of getting my camera out - only what I mean by my camera is in fact my camera, and not my phone. I only think of my phone (as a phone with a camera on it) when the thoughts go something along the lines of "I don't have my camera with me. I'll use my phone instead."

Don't get me wrong, the camera in my phone is great - and much better than the first couple of digital cameras I had - but it isn't a patch on any of the cameras I have now.

As for typing, you have a whole extra letter to type, along with a shift for the second one. Taking the extra time to do that is at odds with your subsequent comment that you were explaining why it was slow and hard.
That's even worse.

It either means some twat at Apple included an auto-correction of phone to iPhone, which is a ridiculously arrogant thing to do - do they somehow believe the word iPhone will replace the word phone in a more general context?

Or it means you added it as an auto-correction yourself. In which case, Steve Jobs is on the phone - he says he needs his shoes licked clean.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #116334, posted by trevj at 09:51, 26/1/2011, in reply to message #116333
That's even worse...
DNFTT.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #116336, posted by monkeyson2 at 12:49, 26/1/2011, in reply to message #116333

I'm using it for. When I'm thinking about music, it's my iPod.
You don't have one of those as well, then?
I've got an old iPod Nano in a cupboard somewhere (probably getting cosy with the Creative I had before that) but I stopped using it when I got the iPhone. One less device to carry around.

When I next want to take a photo, I'll probably think of getting my camera out, even though it'll be that same device.
When I want to take a photo I, too, will think of getting my camera out - only what I mean by my camera is in fact my camera, and not my phone. I only think of my phone (as a phone with a camera on it) when the thoughts go something along the lines of "I don't have my camera with me. I'll use my phone instead."

Don't get me wrong, the camera in my phone is great - and much better than the first couple of digital cameras I had - but it isn't a patch on any of the cameras I have now.
Well yes, obviously. I love my proper camera. But I wasn't trying to draw out a flowchart of everything my brain does when I make any action or think any thought! I was merely trying to illustrate how I refer to and think of one single device in many different ways depending on the context.

That's even worse.

It either means some twat at Apple included an auto-correction of phone to iPhone, which is a ridiculously arrogant thing to do - do they somehow believe the word iPhone will replace the word phone in a more general context?
No. It corrected "iphone" to "iPhone", meaning I didn't have to faff around pressing Shift.

Right - can we move on?

Errr.... I can't think of any more theme tunes. unhappy

Dad's Army? tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #116338, posted by moss at 13:10, 26/1/2011, in reply to message #116312

Thanks everyone - suggestions added!

I think this is correct - or, at least, correct for me. I refer to my iPhone... but then, I also say "I'll just check my Gmail". Because they're so similar to the actual words, they just slip into conversation.

Either that, or I'm brainwashed by two competing companies tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Great 21st Century TV Themes