User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: Inferno released on the iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad

Inferno released on the iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

antom Message #117911, posted by antom at 23:12, 3/6/2011
Thought it might be of interest to a few of you that Paradise Games have re-released the classic Arc game Inferno on the iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad:

http://www.paradisegames.co.uk/

It'd be interesting to see if any other games from the Archimedes era end up getting re-released like this, don't you think?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Sion Message #117952, posted by apacketofsweets at 12:02, 6/6/2011, in reply to message #117911
apacketofsweets
RISC OS, too cool for Javascript.

I quite liked Inferno at the time, it was a nifty little game and is suited for a platform such as iOS or Android but I don't think I'll be downloading it, there's a huge load of very similar games (Tron and Dark Nebula to name a few) on the mobile market.

As for Archimedes era games, I have downloaded Speedball for my iPhone and they've done a good job on making it playable on a touchscreen, it is quite fiddely though. I hear TBA might be developing iOS versions of their RISC OS games, so that's something to keep an eye out for.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #117954, posted by trevj at 13:27, 6/6/2011, in reply to message #117952
[...] touchscreen, it is quite fiddely though. [...]
iControlpad?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #117985, posted by monkeyson2 at 19:58, 9/6/2011, in reply to message #117954
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

I have to say, I find the controls pretty tricky. Hard to change direction - level 7 of zone 1 is frustrating because of this. (It's the one with the very short time limit.)

That aside, it's a very good port.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Jeffray Message #118379, posted by Ian at 12:58, 26/7/2011, in reply to message #117985
I have to say, I find the controls pretty tricky. Hard to change direction - level 7 of zone 1 is frustrating because of this. (It's the one with the very short time limit.)
A couple of weeks back we pushed out update version 1.0.3 which tweaks the control system and adds some more pickups and ammo to this level that people seem to find tricky.

Controls have been a real issue and we've actually spent quite a lot of time trying to get a system that feels as good as we can - Inferno was obviously designed for keys/joypad and you need that physical haptic feedback for it to work well really. We've done an OSX build which plays so much better than the iOS one simply due to having keyboard input. If we don't release it on the Mac AppStore, we'll maybe stick it as a freebie on the website.

Thanks for the interest - it's been a fun project, and we're on with the next one now!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #118382, posted by monkeyson2 at 18:40, 26/7/2011, in reply to message #118379

Hello there!

A couple of weeks back we pushed out update version 1.0.3 which tweaks the control system and adds some more pickups and ammo to this level that people seem to find tricky.
Ace - I'll try that out. smile

Controls have been a real issue and we've actually spent quite a lot of time trying to get a system that feels as good as we can - Inferno was obviously designed for keys/joypad and you need that physical haptic feedback for it to work well really. We've done an OSX build which plays so much better than the iOS one simply due to having keyboard input.
To be fair, I find the controls for most games tricky wink My brain can't cope with anything that deviates from AcornSoft's Z, X, ;, /, Return combo!

It's changing direction in a T junction that I always find hardest with these types of controls (if you're going left to right and want to turn and go down the leg of the T). Have the same trouble with D-pads on physical controllers too.

Thanks for the interest - it's been a fun project, and we're on with the next one now!
Oooh - what's that going to be then?

If we don't release it on the Mac AppStore, we'll maybe stick it as a freebie on the website
Cool!

How are you finding the app stores from a developer/publisher's perspective?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #118392, posted by richcheng at 13:01, 27/7/2011, in reply to message #118382

My brain can't cope with anything that deviates from AcornSoft's Z, X, ;, /, Return combo
That's because that is the One True keyboard control layout.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #118395, posted by andypoole at 16:38, 27/7/2011, in reply to message #118392
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

My brain can't cope with anything that deviates from AcornSoft's Z, X, ;, /, Return combo
Hm. I always referred to them as Z, X, * and ?. But yes, they're the controls I always liked best smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Albert Bullen Message #118396, posted by JohnB at 17:55, 27/7/2011, in reply to message #118395
Hm. I always referred to them as Z, X, * and ?. But yes, they're the controls I always liked best smile
Totally agree smile Chocks Away and numerous other classics had those keys.

Although now I've become a bit used to the arrow keys etc when gaming.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #118405, posted by richcheng at 12:51, 28/7/2011, in reply to message #118395

The One True way of referring to the One True keyboard control layout?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #118406, posted by trevj at 14:42, 28/7/2011, in reply to message #118396
[...] Although now I've become a bit used to the arrow keys etc when gaming.
I never understood why programmers (or was it the publishers?) chose this control method! It's not at all intuitive and the keys' relative positions vary with different hardware. Like some others here, I grew up primarily with Z, X, *, ? on the Beeb but also ISTR a few A, Z, <, > which seemed preferable to the Speccy equivalent of Q, A, O, P.

IMO the best solutions (rarely implemented) were:
  • Choice of preset combinations - good for gaming with friends used to different layouts
  • User definable - sometimes in the loader, presumably due to lack of memory in the game itself... and sometimes while loading from tape, 'Demolator' being one such (the only?) game IIRC, although not so good when transferred to disk as I didn't know how to modify the code to introduce the necessary pause before loading the next file!
(Sorry to digress - this should probably be posted on the STH forum.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #118407, posted by monkeyson2 at 21:56, 28/7/2011, in reply to message #118395

I think the Electron had a slightly different keyboard layout.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #118409, posted by swirlythingy at 15:47, 31/7/2011, in reply to message #118407

z, x, ' and / surely?

[Edited by swirlythingy at 16:48, 31/7/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

bcass Message #118488, posted by bcass at 19:08, 24/8/2011, in reply to message #118409
Inferno is now available for download on the Xbox 360 in the Xbox Live Indie Games section. Fingers crossed that they port the excellent Overload as well.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Stephen Scott Message #118495, posted by sa_scott at 08:42, 25/8/2011, in reply to message #118409
z, x, ' and / surely?
The One True Layout... if you're right handed? Left handers must have been a minority, you never did get the choice in many games. Surely A,Z,< and > would be the One True Layout for left handed people?

Having got used to arrow keys for movement in Half Life 2, going back to these keys is strange. Perhaps I expect to move a mouse as well?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #118503, posted by swirlythingy at 19:28, 25/8/2011, in reply to message #118495

Having got used to arrow keys for movement in Half Life 2, going back to these keys is strange. Perhaps I expect to move a mouse as well?
Aghhkkhk. Don't talk to me about arrow/mouse combos in FPSs. Jeffrey Doggett's Doom port is not only the only version currently working on the Iyonix, but completely (AFAICT) lacking in meaningful key redefinition options (I could fudge the key map, but that would make the menus all weird). It was the very first time I had ever had to play Doom with the original keys, and I came to the conclusion that the cursor keys are surely the very worst control system for this genre ever developed by humanity.

Eventually I gave up, having found it impossible to move anywhere with any accuracy, and simply did all movement with the mouse - hence rendering the Shift-to-run functionality nigh-on unusable.

And who the fuck thought that having to stretch one's little finger over Ctrl, one stupid Microsoft key, and another stupid Microsoft key, all the way to Alt, and then hold it down at the same time as the left - or, even worse, right - arrow key, just in order to strafe - an action which, in general, one generally wishes to perform with the greatest convenience, promptness and velocity feasible? I strafe two hundred times as often as I turn on the spot, but I need one hand on the mouse at all times (because otherwise I can't realistically move anywhere, and firing while strafing is extremely common, and don't even suggest that on the way to holding down the Alt button I should somehow manage to spare another finger to tap Ctrl on demand on the way there...).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #119604, posted by trevj at 19:48, 19/2/2012, in reply to message #117911
In a not-very-related development, SDL Asylum is now available on the Pandora.

[Edit Maybe I should've posted this under SDL port of Asylum released.]

[Edited by trevj at 08:10, 20/2/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steven Gregory Message #119605, posted by thecellartroll at 20:39, 20/2/2012, in reply to message #117911

It'd be interesting to see if any other games from the Archimedes era end up getting re-released like this, don't you think?
I'd pay to have Starfighter 3000 on my XPeria Play. I have the PS1 version, but its pretty crap. Either the Risc OS version or the 3DO version.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

antom Message #119848, posted by antom at 00:04, 24/3/2012, in reply to message #117911
Since posting this, I've got myself an iPhone and paid up for a copy of Inferno - great little game, even if the touchscreen controls are a little fiddly. Plus, if buying it gets them going to port Overload, then so be it! smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

bcass Message #120309, posted by bcass at 21:19, 9/5/2012, in reply to message #119848
Looks like Cataclysm (renamed to Aqualibrium) is also coming to Xbox Live Indie Games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB1yxW6BRw4
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120318, posted by pwx at 09:26, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #120309
Looks like Cataclysm (renamed to Aqualibrium) is also coming to Xbox Live Indie Games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB1yxW6BRw4
Brilliant.

Is this by the original author?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

bcass Message #120320, posted by bcass at 11:19, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #120318
Aqualibrium and the XBLIG release of Inferno were handled by Archifishal Software. Don't know if the original authors are involved. Both those games were originally created by different people so it seems unlikely.

Eitherway, I hope this sells well enough to fund more Archimedes classics being ported onto XBLIG.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alex Macfarlane Smith Message #120327, posted by aardvark at 12:35, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #120320
Aqualibrium and the XBLIG release of Inferno were handled by Archifishal Software. Don't know if the original authors are involved. Both those games were originally created by different people so it seems unlikely.
David Postlethwaite's been involved from a technical point of view (eg. explaining how the alien motion was supposed to behave etc.), and all the graphics/levels/sounds are from the original, but all the coding's been done by me.

Alex.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alex Macfarlane Smith Message #120330, posted by aardvark at 12:59, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #118503

And who the fuck thought that having to stretch one's little finger over Ctrl, one stupid Microsoft key, and another stupid Microsoft key, all the way to Alt, and then hold it down at the same time as the left - or, even worse, right - arrow key, just in order to strafe - an action which, in general, one generally wishes to perform with the greatest convenience, promptness and velocity feasible?
You could always use < and > to strafe instead.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #120343, posted by swirlythingy at 17:32, 10/5/2012, in reply to message #120330

You could always use < and > to strafe instead.
Fortunately, I've since discovered how to reconfigure the port to use proper keys. It involves editing a text file called Choices:dsg.doomrc with the ASCII values of the keys you want to use. Why I didn't think of that all along I don't know...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120356, posted by pwx at 12:14, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120327

all the graphics/levels/sounds are from the original
I found this article on an indie games site, which suggests multiple difficulty levels. I don't recall the original having that.
Link: http://www.indiegamemag.com/gushing-aqualibrium-trailer/

Does this mean there will be an 'easy' mode, alongside the original single difficulty - or will there be a new 'hard' mode?

I was 11 when this first came out, and I finished all 40 levels in a week - hammering it every day, even school nights! I had this as soon as it was released (I live in Sheffield) and it's still one of my favourite games. I even managed to shoehorn a mention of it into my BSc dissertation...

A proper Cataclysm sequel would be nice - something that exploits the widescreen aspect ratio and vastly increaded processor power. More levels - and user-submitted content support would be great, as I thought the original 40 levels were both too few and too easy.

David Postlethwaite's music is excellent, and I was rather happy to hear the original game's menu music.

Unfortunately I don't have an Xbox, but hopefully this Cataclysm port might appear on other platforms at some point.

Suggestion: Do a port or update of Inertia! Also one of my favourites - and also by David Postlethwaite. There are a few isometric/marble madness-style games for various platforms, and they do tend to go down well with retro fans.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #120357, posted by trevj at 13:53, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120356
I even managed to shoehorn a mention of it into my BSc dissertation...
I wish I'd done something similar. Although mine was written in Impression Style and I'm sure I included (within the Acknowledgements section) both Julianne Regan and Dave Mustaine... I omitted Steven Singer and Tom Cooper. What an unforgivable oversight!

The dissertation related to the FLAC software package (not my choice: some sort of automated computer system allocated projects based on 3 preferences and my top 3 all went to someone else - in hindsight, I should've proposed my own waffly literature search type project instead but I was too naive to think of that).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120358, posted by pwx at 14:14, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120357
I even managed to shoehorn a mention of it into my BSc dissertation...
I wish I'd done something similar. Although mine was written in Impression Style and I'm sure I included (within the Acknowledgements section) both Julianne Regan and Dave Mustaine... I omitted Steven Singer and Tom Cooper. What an unforgivable oversight!

The dissertation related to the FLAC software package (not my choice: some sort of automated computer system allocated projects based on 3 preferences and my top 3 all went to someone else - in hindsight, I should've proposed my own waffly literature search type project instead but I was too naive to think of that).
To be fair, mine was on cellular automata, so I had justification for the inclusion of Cataclysm.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

bcass Message #120364, posted by bcass at 22:04, 11/5/2012, in reply to message #120358
The final level of Cataclysm was pure evil and it was always down to pure luck. It's amazing that this idea never spawned any similar types of games, although I doubt any other home computer could have managed it as well as the Archimedes back then. A fully fledged sequel would be most welcome.

I suppose the only remotely similar game is Humpty Dumpty in the Garden for the ZX Spectrum.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120378, posted by pwx at 09:25, 14/5/2012, in reply to message #120364
The final level of Cataclysm was pure evil and it was always down to pure luck.
I assume you are referring to the bit with the two gun turrets at each side of the level covering the way down to the bottom half of the level.

There is potential for some really clever puzzle design in Cataclysm - but that last level was just *cheap*. I'm sure that if there was a level editor and the option to use user-created levels in the game, the community could come up with some truly outstanding levels.

Chu Chu Rocket on the Dreamcast was great for this very reason.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: Games: Inferno released on the iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad