Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Acorn A4 laptop motherboard battery leak

Acorn A4 laptop motherboard battery leak
  pwx (15:28 2/5/2012)
  nodoid (19:05 2/5/2012)
  sinns (07:41 6/5/2012)

Philip Webster Message #120260, posted by pwx at 15:28, 2/5/2012
Hi,
I've disassembled my Acorn A4 laptop to fit an upgrade and found that the motherboard battery is leaking. Having previously lost a RiscPC motherboard to battery acid damage I'm keen to get this one removed and replaced. There is currently no component or track damage, as it appears to have only just started leaking.

Obviously the type of battery used in the A4 is no longer available - but what would be a good substitute?

Specifically, I would need something that not only is compatible from an electonics perspedtive but which will also fit into the A4 case - either in the original spot on the motherboard or tucked away somewhere else.

Has anyone had experience with A4s and battery leaks? I realise that not many people have them.

Phil
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Paul Johnson Message #120263, posted by nodoid at 19:05, 2/5/2012, in reply to message #120260
While I've had no experience of leaks, I know that CTA Direct could re-wire the actual laptops and can probably advise on the replacement of the batteries.

Give them a call on 01942 797777
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Inns Message #120288, posted by sinns at 07:41, 6/5/2012, in reply to message #120260
Whilst not specifically for the A4 there is some advice on my website about getting the old battery out and how to clean up any gunk on the motherboard:

http://www.waitingforfriday.com/index.php/Restoring_an_Acorn_A3000_computer#Replacing_the_motherboard_battery

If you can find a specific drop in replacement usually you can use any non-rechargable button cell with the same voltage. You need to in-line a diode with it though to prevent it charging.

/Simon
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: Acorn A4 laptop motherboard battery leak