User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: getting data off a Risc PC hard disc

getting data off a Risc PC hard disc
  Loris (18:26 31/8/2012)
  apdl (05:34 1/9/2012)
  flibble (19:00 2/9/2012)
    jess (08:12 3/9/2012)
    filecore (08:54 16/9/2012)
      qUE (23:21 16/9/2012)
        Bonez (00:42 17/9/2012)
          apdl (06:16 17/9/2012)
            flibble (09:51 17/9/2012)
  CJE (10:44 3/9/2012)
    Bonez (08:38 16/9/2012)
    filecore (10:05 17/9/2012)
      Loris (11:21 17/9/2012)

Tony Haines Message #120972, posted by Loris at 18:26, 31/8/2012
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
I have a Risc PC which has been unused for ... a few years (for reasons I won't bore you with). I finally managed to get round to inspecting the insides and found that - as might be expected - the battery of death was looking a bit fusty.

At minimum I basically just want to salvage data from the hard disc. What would be the best way of going about that?
I have/had a lot of photos in an image filing system of some description, but I don't remember exactly what - IIRC it stored them in subdirectories with random names, which whould be fine - presumably they'll have EXIF data inside so in theory I could even sort them back into chronological order again. If they're in the one big file approach that will obviously be much harder to retrieve.

I'm tempted to see if it switches on so I can try transferring data via USB flash drives - which would be fine, if it works just once (for enough time).

I guess I could try to buy a replacement motherboard - haven't looked into that yet. If that would be very expensive then I guess it's a bit of a waste.

Advice greatly appreciated.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Holden Message #120973, posted by apdl at 05:34, 1/9/2012, in reply to message #120972
I've done this lots of times before.

If you send the RiscPC to me I can copy all the data off your hard drive onto CDs or DVDs in zip files. This you can then transfer to any other system, plus you'll have a (nearly) permanent archive of the data.

Also I can have a look at your motherboard. Sometimes the damage is beyond repair, but not always. Won't know until I see it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #120980, posted by flibble at 19:00, 2/9/2012, in reply to message #120972
flibble

At minimum I basically just want to salvage data from the hard disc. What would be the best way of going about that?
A simple (ish) way, if you have IDE (rather than SCSI discs) on you RPC. You'll need a IDE/USB HD adapter/enclosure and a linux box.

Put the drive in USB/IDE thing, plug into the linux box and use 'dd' to copy the raw disc image to a file. You can then use that file in Red Squirrel, Virtual Acorn or RPCEmu and use it either in that, or copy the files off using 'hostfs'.

I can give a lot more info on this route if you want to follow it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

jess hampshire Message #120982, posted by jess at 08:12, 3/9/2012, in reply to message #120980
A Raspberry Pi, RISC OS SD card and a USB IDE adaptor would be another option. (Biggest problem would be getting the Pi.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Evans Message #120983, posted by CJE at 10:44, 3/9/2012, in reply to message #120972
CJE Micros chap
The only parts of the RiscPC that are normally affected by a leaking battery are CMOS Settings and sound. So if you do a POWER ON Delete and then a shutdown restart you should be back to normal usage!

Transferring the data off is another matter.
If you have a network card then there are free or paid for utilities.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Bonez Message #121095, posted by Bonez at 08:38, 16/9/2012, in reply to message #120983
The only parts of the RiscPC that are normally affected by a leaking battery are CMOS Settings and sound. So if you do a POWER ON Delete and then a shutdown restart you should be back to normal usage!

Using a parallel port is another method of transferring files http://www.serial-networking.fsnet.co.uk/zerilink.htm
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #121096, posted by filecore at 08:54, 16/9/2012, in reply to message #120980

You'll need a IDE/USB HD adapter/enclosure and a linux box.

Put the drive in USB/IDE thing, plug into the linux box and use 'dd' to copy the raw disc image to a file. You can then use that file in Red Squirrel, Virtual Acorn or RPCEmu and use it either in that, or copy the files off using 'hostfs'.
http://www.filecore.net/riscos/public/filetransferlinux.html
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

qUE Message #121097, posted by qUE at 23:21, 16/9/2012, in reply to message #121096
qUE

Your forgetting this is a religiously RISC OS only forum :P

I've spoken to a few people who snort at the use of linux, or any other operating system for that fact. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for RISC OS, it's just not to the point it's cutting my nose off to spite my face. Use the best tool for the job, not pliers to unscrew a screw. Unless you haven't got the right screwdriver of course :D

[Edited by qUE at 00:23, 17/9/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Bonez Message #121100, posted by Bonez at 00:42, 17/9/2012, in reply to message #121097
Your forgetting this is a religiously RISC OS only forum
Why did you even bother to bring that up? I'm sure the OP doesn't really care as long as there is a way/ways to get at his precious data/files.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Holden Message #121102, posted by apdl at 06:16, 17/9/2012, in reply to message #121100
Your forgetting this is a religiously RISC OS only forum
Why did you even bother to bring that up? I'm sure the OP doesn't really care as long as there is a way/ways to get at his precious data/files.
The OP was given the definitive (and probably, for him, simplest) answer right at the start. Then, as so often happens, it all got messy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #121104, posted by flibble at 09:51, 17/9/2012, in reply to message #121102
flibble

The OP was given the definitive (and probably, for him, simplest) answer right at the start. Then, as so often happens, it all got messy.
Paying you isn't always the only answer Dave.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #121105, posted by filecore at 10:05, 17/9/2012, in reply to message #120983

Well said. Different approaches have different benefits and downsides. Whole-drive imaging (dd in Linux, for example) gives a better backup than any transfer can, especially if drive lifespan is limited.

If the OP can get the machine working, even once, and has a NIC and functional TCP/IP stack installed, FTP is also a pretty reasonable alternative.

The benefit is that both of these can be done at minimum (or zero) cost, at home, and more or less instantly. The OP has been on this site for the last decade and we know he's not afraid to get a little technical, so perhaps he's entirely willing to try things for himself. It does no harm to give options and alternatives.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #121106, posted by Loris at 11:21, 17/9/2012, in reply to message #121105
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
Thank you everyone for all your advice - I do appreciate it.

I'm a bit rusty on my RISC OS stuff, and always was nervous about fiddling with the hardware.

If the machine does boot up with the reset trick, and it can talk to everything then I hope to be able to transfer stuff off myself - it's just a case of getting round to it. The machine isn't networked but it does have USB, and I have a couple of fairly small USB flash disks. It'll need some time for a few transfers; hopefully I'll be able to try that in a couple of weeks.

I've used Linux at work, but don't have such a machine at home. It's very nice to learn that Linux has the ability to read RISC OS format hard disks. I was thinking about getting a raspberry PI, so the combination of these might be just the push I need to actually get on with that.

If it's beyond that then I totally will send the hard disk to Dave.

I'll report back on what happens - but it'll probably be a while.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: getting data off a Risc PC hard disc