User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Arcol Desktop and Advance

Arcol Desktop and Advance
  ej2095 (20:59 15/9/2013)
  arawnsley (21:12 15/9/2013)
    hubersn (15:05 17/9/2013)
      arawnsley (19:17 17/9/2013)
        ej2095 (19:50 21/9/2013)
  CJE (11:41 16/9/2013)
    arawnsley (16:12 16/9/2013)

ste j Message #122667, posted by ej2095 at 20:59, 15/9/2013
Hi all

Just wondering does anybody remember these?

Used them at school about 20 years ago but i can not find them anywhere now

Arcol was a graphic package and Advance was wordprocessing package
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #122668, posted by arawnsley at 21:12, 15/9/2013, in reply to message #122667
R-Comp chap
Advance is a fairly common Acorn program that had WP, spreadsheet and database. CJE or other dealers / ebay should sort you out. It was a bit, erm, poor though.

Essentially Advance was a seriously cut-down version of Impression for word-processing (I think), Schema for spreadsheeting, and DataPower for databasing. It's a while since I looked at it, so I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Curiously, for the later "NC works", they switched to Easiwriter for WP duties, and I want to say Eureka for spreadsheet, but I may be getting confused there. Datapower remained the database of choice, I suspect because its author Neil Rainne was instrumental in the creation of RISC OS itself.

Arcol, now, there's a blast from the past. I think I may even have a copy I was sent for review. The main graphics app of that period was the Artisan/ProArtisan range, or Atelier from Minerva. I think Arcol was the cut-price alternative, but I genuinely cannot recall more. I think I'd need to dig through the boxes in the office. I'm not sure if I saw a desktop version or not. Wow, that goes back a long way!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Evans Message #122670, posted by CJE at 11:41, 16/9/2013, in reply to message #122667
CJE Micros chap
Hi all

Just wondering does anybody remember these?

Used them at school about 20 years ago but i can not find them anywhere now

Arcol was a graphic package and Advance was wordprocessing package
We have new copies of Acorn Advance in stock!
http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/individual/newprodpages/prodinfo.php?prodcode=ACO-ADV

I can do 50% off the current price on the website!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #122671, posted by arawnsley at 16:12, 16/9/2013, in reply to message #122670
R-Comp chap
Worth mentioning that Advance isn't 32bit safe, so not really suitable for use on anything later than a RiscPC. IIRC it was a bit iffy on StrongArm, too, but I think most of those problems were resolved with patches (key disc protection also removed?).

Essentially Advance was a product of a time (late 80s, early 90s) and very much of a price, much like MS Works vs MS Office. Today, I suspect you'll find its "almost non-existant" user interface quite tough to work with.

That said, 50% off is a good price if you're a collector smile Otherwise, I'd check out our Fireworkz Pro as a cross-platform integrated package that is compatible with recent hardware as well (eg. Pi, RISC OS 5, ARMini/X and so on).

[Edited by arawnsley at 16:12, 16/9/2013]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steffen Huber Message #122672, posted by hubersn at 15:05, 17/9/2013, in reply to message #122668

Curiously, for the later "NC works", they switched to Easiwriter for WP duties, and I want to say Eureka for spreadsheet, but I may be getting confused there. Datapower remained the database of choice, I suspect because its author Neil Rainne was instrumental in the creation of RISC OS itself.
IIRC, after "Learning Curve" featuring Acorn Advance, Acorn bundled a "Home Office" package consisting mainly of EasiWriter, Pipedream 4 and DataPower. This was still A5000 time IIRC.

Advance was Impression Style, DataPower and Schema 2 IIRC. And some graphing app I don't remember. Or was it Impression Junior, DataPower and Schema?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #122674, posted by arawnsley at 19:17, 17/9/2013, in reply to message #122672
R-Comp chap
IIRC Advance was cut down below any commercially available version of each app. So, the wordprocessor was less than Imp Junior (but probably ballpark-similar), the database was much less capable than DataPower (maybe more akin to Junior Database, or less), and similarly with Schema.

Whilst it is surprising to see that people *are* still using it to create documents, I don't think you'd choose to today, whereas the "full" versions of said applications are still quite viable.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

ste j Message #122675, posted by ej2095 at 19:50, 21/9/2013, in reply to message #122674
Cheers guys

I knew my memory wasnt that bad

Thank you once again for the update
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: Arcol Desktop and Advance