Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Getting data off my old RISC PC and into an emulator

Getting data off my old RISC PC and into an emulator
  marria01 (12:16 8/11/2013)
  trevj (12:27 8/11/2013)
    marria01 (16:35 8/11/2013)

Andy Marriott Message #122765, posted by marria01 at 12:16, 8/11/2013
Greetings!

A friend of mine has recently resurrected his old Amiga and copied the contents of his old hard disc into an emulator on his Mac. This has spurred me on to look at getting my old RISC PC going again so I can read all my old GCSE coursework from the mid-90's!

Until I have the space to fire the machine up proper, I thought the best route would be to clone the hard disc and bring it up in an emulator. So I took the disc out, fired it up with a USB->IDE adaptor and was able to mount the disc in Ubuntu using the ADFS kernel module and copy it to folder on the linux box. Obviously all the extended attributes are lost doing it this way and I've had limited success reading the files (especially all the impression documents) as the filetypes haven't been preserved.

While I had the disc spun up, I also dd'ed the whole disc into an image file. It seems this would be the best way to preserve all the required info, but I've run into a bit of brick wall getting an emulator to read the disc image. I've tried using RPCemu which apparently supports .adf and .hdf files but can't seem to get the image to mount. Any ideas folks? I'm more than happy to fork out cash to use a commercial solution like Virtual Acorn, but I need a guarantee that it's going to work.

I did get the USB->IDE adaptor to connect to one of my Raspberry Pi's running RISC OS, but the !LongFiles app that I'd used to name some of the files and folders won't run up as it's not 32-bit compatible.

I don't seem to be able to find categoric proof that you can actually do this. Can someone actually confirm that what I'm trying to do is achievable?

Cheers,

Andy M
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #122766, posted by trevj at 12:27, 8/11/2013, in reply to message #122765
I've tried using RPCemu which apparently supports .adf and .hdf files but can't seem to get the image to mount.
Have you tried searching the RPCEmu Archives for some pointers? Good luck smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andy Marriott Message #122769, posted by marria01 at 16:35, 8/11/2013, in reply to message #122766
I've tried using RPCemu which apparently supports .adf and .hdf files but can't seem to get the image to mount.
Have you tried searching the RPCEmu Archives for some pointers? Good luck smile
Well it appears my good friend Hugo has been before me.

[Rpcemu] Hard disk image question

To cut a long story short and assuming you have a linux box with RPCEmu on:

Connect the disc to the linux box. Verify the machine sees the disc and gives it a suitable name (ie. /dev/sdb).

Insert the kernel module to read ADFS formatted discs:

sudo /sbin/modprobe -v adfs

Make a temporary directory that will act as a mount point:

mkdir ~/tmp_adfs

Mount the disc to the mount point:

sudo mount -t adfs /dev/sdb ~/tmp_adfs -o uid=$USER

Check the contents of the folder represent the contents of the disc and the unmount it again:

sudo umount ~/tmp_adfs

Now, made an image of the disc like this:

dd if=/dev/sdb of=harddrive.adf bs=512

Now, grab the code from Hugo's post I've linked to. Stick it in a file called chk.c and type following into a terminal.

dd if=/dev/zero of=blanksector bs=512 count=1

cat blanksector harddrive.adf >hd4.hdf

gcc -o chk chk.c

./chk

You should now be presented with a working hard disc image that can be dropped in the same folder as the RPCEmu application. Once you run the emulator up (with a suitable ROM version to match the machine you took the drive from), the emulator should boot off the drive image and off you go!

[Edited by marria01 at 21:55, 9/11/2013]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: Getting data off my old RISC PC and into an emulator