Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Google Drive on RISC OS (on a Mac)

Google Drive on RISC OS (on a Mac)
  onlinegenie (17:50 23/1/2014)
  CJE (15:47 25/1/2014)
    onlinegenie (10:30 27/1/2014)
      VincceH (18:23 8/2/2014)
    dr_d_gee (10:44 5/3/2014)
      Phlamethrower (12:04 5/3/2014)
        nunfetishist (12:39 5/3/2014)
          Phlamethrower (12:59 5/3/2014)

Mark Syder Message #122957, posted by onlinegenie at 17:50, 23/1/2014
Hi everybody.

I'm using Virtual RPC on my iMac and my MacBook Pro. I use Google Drive, partly for off-site backup, but also so I can work on a document on both computers. Using the following instructions I have managed to get Google drive working on the RISC OS side of my computers. I'm posting it here in the hope that it will be useful to others.

1. Install Google Drive on your Mac (obvious!)

2. Check where your Google Drive directory is (probably /Users/yourname/Google Drive).

3. Type the following (where ln are the first and third letters of the word link - the l is not a 1 or a capital I!)
ln -s /Users/yourname/Google\ Drive /Applications/VirtualAcorn/VirtualRPC-AdjustSA/HardDisc4/googledrive

NB - the \ in Google Drive is essential so that OSX will know that "Google Drive" is to be treated as a single word.
The above command assumes you want the RISC OS directory to be called googledrive. You can call it whatever you want.

4. Load Virtual RPC and click on the disc icon. You will see a directory called googledrive. Open that directory and you will see the contents of your Google Drive.

I've tested it with Techwriter (sorry to say that's the only RISC OS software I still use). I've created a file on one Mac, saved it to googledrive, and confirmed that I can open it on the other Mac.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Evans Message #122972, posted by CJE at 15:47, 25/1/2014, in reply to message #122957
CJE Micros chap
Could a similar method be used on Windows I wonder?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Syder Message #122979, posted by onlinegenie at 10:30, 27/1/2014, in reply to message #122972
Unfortunately I don't have enough Windows knowledge to answer that question. Over to you Windows experts. big smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #123012, posted by VincceH at 18:23, 8/2/2014, in reply to message #122979
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

I don't use Google Drive.

However, I am able to work on my RISC OS stuff on any of the machines I have currently set up1: An Iyonix, an ARMini, a Pi and VRPCSESATLAETCWTF.

The files themselves are in a folder in the user documents tree on the laptop, and the RISC OS computers access them across the network using LanMan. (VRPCSESATLAETCWTF has the relevant folders set up as a HostFS drive).

Offsite backups? The stuff on my laptop is continually backed up offsite, so the RISC OS files are as well.

No need to mess around with Google Drive.

1. FSVO "set up"
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Gee Message #123111, posted by dr_d_gee at 10:44, 5/3/2014, in reply to message #122972
Could a similar method be used on Windows I wonder?
I doubt it. This method makes use of the facility in OS X (and Unix generally) of symbolic links. The nearest Windows has is shortcuts but they aren't the same--they show up in the directory listing (in Windows) as a file and, while double-clicking on a shortcut usually has the same effect as double-clicking on the original, it doesn't work on (e.g.) a Linux system which can see the filespace.

But it would depend on how HostFS is implemented, I guess.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #123113, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:04, 5/3/2014, in reply to message #123111
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

The nearest Windows has is shortcuts
Not exactly true. NTFS supports junction points, which are very similar to symlinks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Kendrick Message #123114, posted by nunfetishist at 12:39, 5/3/2014, in reply to message #123113
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

The nearest Windows has is shortcuts
Not exactly true. NTFS supports junction points, which are very similar to symlinks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point
More like a UNIX mount point, no?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #123115, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:59, 5/3/2014, in reply to message #123114
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Probably! I'm not overly familiar with all the different types available.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: Google Drive on RISC OS (on a Mac)