User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Drawing symmetrical objects symmetrically (Prog:1)
- AMCS free versions are live! (Gen:13)
- Elesar releases new version of Prophet (News:)
- NetSurf or Iconbar? (Site:2)
- Orpheus launch crowdfunding campaign (News:4)
- RISC OS ports website (News:3)
- July News round-up (News:)
- State of RISC OS software (Gen:5)
- Lua and RISC OS (Prog:1)
- RiscOSM continues to expand its horizons (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Geminus

Geminus
  adrianl (04:44 20/5/2018)
  Phlamethrower (14:26 21/5/2018)
  dfeugey (08:28 22/5/2018)
    adrianl (21:37 27/5/2018)
      nytrex (09:41 28/5/2018)
        nytrex (09:41 28/5/2018)
      davidb (13:25 28/5/2018)
      dfeugey (10:19 12/6/2018)

Adrian Lees Message #124285, posted by adrianl at 04:44, 20/5/2018
Anything anyone would like to see from it? To recap Geminus is a software layer that accelerates the desktop and extends it across multiple displays, offering portrait modes and - where necessary - R/B swapping for PC-directed hardware that does not offer efficient component swapping. It was built for the IYONIX pc; that was many years ago.

I'm lavishing some time on it to update it for more recent targets, and - aside from fixing the known issues with certain applications and backwards-compatibility issues in later OS versions - I wondered what its (prospective) users would most like to see?

Best wishes,

A
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #124288, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:26, 21/5/2018, in reply to message #124285
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

From my perspective a lot of the features which Geminus supports should actually be features of the base OS. So I guess what I'd most like to see would be for those features to make their way into the OS!

I recently posted a summary on the ROOL forums of the pending work that's on my wishlist, so if there's a way that you or Geminus could help with that then that would be great. Or at least, you need to be aware of any incoming changes so that you can adapt Geminus to cope with them (or warn us if we're going to break it in some critical way).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Feugey Message #124289, posted by dfeugey at 08:28, 22/5/2018, in reply to message #124285
Acceleration would be great. Dual head support two, but it'll be a short term feature, as RISC OS will provide it one day.

If you focus on the Pi, GPU acceleration and dual (HDMI + VGA adapter) support would be fantastic.

Nota: GPU acceleration could be replaced by "other cores" acceleration.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #124290, posted by adrianl at 21:37, 27/5/2018, in reply to message #124289
Acceleration would be great. Dual head support two, but it'll be a short term feature, as RISC OS will provide it one day.
I appreciate the point you're making, although it's perhaps a good job that I didn't take the same attitude 14-odd years ago when creating Geminus.

If you focus on the Pi, GPU acceleration and dual (HDMI + VGA adapter) support would be fantastic.
Interesting suggestion, thanks. I was unaware of the existence of Gert's VGA adapter. The prototype DisplayLink driver is something I've played with a little, and one of the areas where the SoC-based designs upon which RISC OS now runs are limited is their display capabilities, in terms of head count and/or maximum resolution...

I appreciate the point about it being preferable to introduce/migrate any and all features into the base OS code. The issue remains, as always, in this materialistic, capitalist society, that code written exclusively to be made available to all for free in the OS, does not then pay the bills; and then there will be no more code!

Thanks for the suggestions.

[Edited by adrianl at 21:39, 27/5/2018]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alan Robertson Message #124292, posted by nytrex at 09:41, 28/5/2018, in reply to message #124290
snip snip

[Edited by nytrex at 09:42, 28/5/2018]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alan Robertson Message #124293, posted by nytrex at 09:41, 28/5/2018, in reply to message #124292
I appreciate the point you're making, although it's perhaps a good job that I didn't take the same attitude 14-odd years ago when creating Geminus.
Absolutely agree. We would have missed out in all these goodies you have served up for us.

Thank you for doing the dirty work for us all those years ago. We are reaping the benefits today.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Boddie Message #124294, posted by davidb at 13:25, 28/5/2018, in reply to message #124290
I appreciate the point about it being preferable to introduce/migrate any and all features into the base OS code. The issue remains, as always, in this materialistic, capitalist society, that code written exclusively to be made available to all for free in the OS, does not then pay the bills; and then there will be no more code!
Maybe those secretive RISC OS lovers at RISC OS Developments could fund you to do that work. A rising tide floating all boats, etc.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Feugey Message #124296, posted by dfeugey at 10:19, 12/6/2018, in reply to message #124290
I agree. But please note that there is REALLY ongoing work today about dual head support.

I appreciate the point about it being preferable to introduce/migrate any and all features into the base OS code.
I never told this. In fact, I would prefer to have a commercial solution for my acceleration / dual head needs. I use RISC OS as my main OS, so I can't really wait for RISC OS 5.38 smile.

I'll definitively buy Geminus for my Pi.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: Geminus