User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Related articles
- ClockSave reviewed
- ROOL updates DDE to release 31c
- PhotoDesk updated to version 3.21
- IrisRam speeds up Iris
- Software Preservation at the ROUGOL Show
- Arculator updated to add A4 emulation and more podule support
- Avalanche VNC client get an update
- How data can be recovered from damaged discs using an oscilloscope
- RISC OS Developments updates Iris
- Acorn Preservation Team want to help archive your old data before it's too late
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS ports website

RISC OS ports website

Posted by Mark Stephens on 06:26, 27/7/2018 |

If you are a MacOS user, you have probably heard of MacPorts (unless you are a Howebrew fan).

RISC OS users have a similarly named website at http://www.riscosports.co.uk

This site has a good collection of software including lot of Emulators for classic consoles and machines, Games, and a selection of downloads.

There are also some programs compiled with VFP support, including Quake, POVRay and MuView.

You will also find Raspberry Pi specific items including Khronos.

Finally there are some fun little OpenGL examples and some useful resources.

Some of the software is older release (ie Vice) but the site is still being update in 2018 and there is plenty of interest to download and try.

RISC OS ports website
  levi (16:29 27/7/2018)
  hubersn (16:13 28/7/2018)
    levi (21:29 28/7/2018)
  jimnagel (13:17 16/10/2018)
    hubersn (15:42 16/10/2018)

Levi Levinson Message #124314, posted by levi at 16:29, 27/7/2018
This is a very good move. I remember when I first discovered Dave McEwan's emulator page was no more, and a lot of the old freeserve or demon TAM month pages have gone the same way.

It's also very good that all of the zip files are locally hosted (not sparkplug archives any more, but I guess zips are easier if you're unzipping from a PC or linux onto an SD card for your rPi - though I dunno how that would handle file types and so on).

The only slight downside is that any description beyond the link text and more significantly the original author of these programs are not listed. But at least the executable code is safe for now.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steffen Huber Message #124315, posted by hubersn at 16:13, 28/7/2018, in reply to message #124314

The only slight downside is that any description beyond the link text and more significantly the original author of these programs are not listed. But at least the executable code is safe for now.
The big downside however is that none of the downloadable archives I looked at actually contain the source code.

So whenever a new ARM CPU variant hits RISC OS, we are back to either binary patching or waiting for a recompile by the only developer who has the source.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Levi Levinson Message #124316, posted by levi at 21:29, 28/7/2018, in reply to message #124315
True, but how common was that in app distributions these days? I'm no longer an active risc os user unfortunately (the last time I powered up my RiscPC was to check it all still worked after I removed the leaking CMOS battery), but back when it used to be my main computing system, source usually came in discrete archives, if available at all.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jim Nagel Message #124344, posted by jimnagel at 13:17, 16/10/2018, in reply to message #124314
Another mystery: who is the person who set up this very welcome site http://riscosports.co.uk ?

Its home page says "This website groups together some of the things I'm currently working on" but 'twould be good to know who "I" is, if only to thank her or him.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steffen Huber Message #124345, posted by hubersn at 15:42, 16/10/2018, in reply to message #124344
Another mystery: who is the person who set up this very welcome site http://riscosports.co.uk ?

Its home page says "This website groups together some of the things I'm currently working on" but 'twould be good to know who "I" is, if only to thank her or him.
It's the same site than https://cgransden.co.uk/, so it was done by Chris Gransden, master of the thousand ports.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS ports website