User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Related articles
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase
- February 2024 News Summary
- Next developer fireside chat
- DDE31d released
- South-West Show 2024 Report
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show
- Saturday is South-West Show
- ROOL releases updated Git Beta
- ROOL website gets a bit of a makeover
- January 2024 News Summary
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: RIP Jim Nagel - Computer Shopper to Archive

RIP Jim Nagel - Computer Shopper to Archive

Posted by Mark Stephens on 15:42, 26/3/2020 |

We are all very sad at The Icon Bar to hear that Jim Nagel has died (not related to the current pandemic).

From his Acorn column in Computer Shopper in the 1990s to the editor of Archive magazine, Jim has always been a very important and much loved member of the RISC OS family. He was a regular face at shows and we will miss him tremendously.

Here is the official announcement.

'It is with great sadness that the family of Jim Nagel announces his passing peacefully on Saturday, March 21.

Most RISC OS users will know Jim as the editor of the Archive magazine since 2007, and before that as the author of the Acorn column in the Computer Shopper magazine. Jim has been a well-known figure in the RISC OS community for a long time and a regular exhibitor at RISC OS shows. His humour, dedication and enthusiasm will be sadly missed.

On behalf of Jim's wife Viola, his sons and grandchildren,
Martin Wuerthner'

RIP Jim Nagel - Computer Shopper to Archive
  Elesar (18:18 26/3/2020)
  sa_scott (18:50 26/3/2020)

Robert Sprowson Message #124763, posted by Elesar at 18:18, 26/3/2020
This is sad news - Jim's dedication to all things RISC OS, with a keen eye particularly to the user's perspective, will be sorely missed.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Stephen Scott Message #124764, posted by sa_scott at 18:50, 26/3/2020, in reply to message #124763
What desperately sad news. I was always grateful to Jim for kindly including my brother and I's game on the Computer Shopper cover CD back in the summer of 1997. It was such a nice gesture, he left it as a surprise for us. He really helped to fly the flag for RISC OS through the good times and the bad. Rest in peace Jim, and condolences to his family.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Boddie Message #124770, posted by davidb at 20:40, 29/3/2020
Sorry to hear the sad news. My thoughts and sympathies are with his family at this time.

Jim did a great job keeping Archive going, despite it being a lot of work to produce a print-oriented publication, and each new issue always looked very smart and professional. He always found interesting things to report on and managed to cultivate a regular set of contributors - quite a challenge when the user base is so small.

He was also very generous and open-minded, sending me copies of Archive because I'd done work with Impression files, and was curious about how to get started with Android coming from a RISC OS background. It was a pleasure to converse with him on-and-off over the years.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David R. Lane Message #124845, posted by DaveLane at 15:13, 20/5/2020, in reply to message #124770
I remember Jim at RISC OS Shows, especially the London Shows and at the dinners after the shows for helpers and exhibitors, in particular, the show last October. He seemed fine. I remember him for his good humour, efficient service at his show stall and his friendliness. In addition he gave us Archive for 12 years. What a loss to the RISC OS community. Jim, may you rest in peace.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #124846, posted by ilcook at 22:32, 20/5/2020, in reply to message #124845
trainResident idiot
I just was wandering what will happen to Archive Magazine now?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Stephens Message #124847, posted by markee174 at 06:54, 21/5/2020, in reply to message #124846
Does all the
work around here

There are lots of discussions going on behind the scenes.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Stephens Message #124848, posted by markee174 at 18:27, 21/5/2020, in reply to message #124847
Does all the
work around here

https://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=12702&page=1#
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: News and features: RIP Jim Nagel - Computer Shopper to Archive