User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Related articles
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - Norman Lawrence
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - Ralf Westenfelder
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - Raik Fischer (creative room)
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - RISCOSbits
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - Sprow
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - Gerph
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - Raik Fischer (PineBook Pro)
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - Detlef Froehlich
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - Andrew McCarthy
- RISC OS Users Xmas screenshots 2022 - Raik Fischer (Titanium)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: What is your current RISC OS setup? (Mark Stephens)

What is your current RISC OS setup? (Mark Stephens)

Posted by Mark Stephens on 09:30, 28/3/2020 |

If you are reading this article in UK (or most of the rest of the world currently), the chances are that you are in 'lockdown' at home. Millions of people have been hastily rearranging their homes so that they can try to carry on working from home as much as possible. So what does my setup look like?

I was quite lucky in that I already had a very nice office all setup at home in our converted garage. I have surrendered this to my daughter, so she can do her Chemistry finals revision, and decamped to a temporary space in the summer house at the end of our garden.

My setup consists of two 27inch LG monitors (both running at 2560x1440). The one one the right is plugged into my Pi3 and can be switched over to provide a second monitor for my 16inch MacBook laptop. This stays shut unless I need to make a Zoom call. Three screens is just too much for me.

My (former) office has an Apple Time Machine which provides wifi (I have power in the summerhouse but no ethernet). I can still access my Titanium (which is still in the office via VNC over wifi.

My Pi3 has a Wifi Hat from Elesar, so it is also connecting to the wifi signal from the summer house. I have balanced it on the corner fo the monitor for the best signal! I have upgraded my SD card to the new RISC OS Direct build. Once I had installed the Wifi drivers, I was able to copy 100s of megs of program and data across the wifi connection without issue (spoiler for a follow-up review on the Elesar Wifi Hat and RISC OS Direct in daily use articles).

So that is my current setup. I still have the space to work, a great view and a nice commute to work....

Other Computer setups

If you want to add yours, send us send a pic and an intro on your RISC OS related setup (email to markstephens At idrsolutions.com), and we will add it.

What is your current RISC OS setup? (Mark Stephens)
  markee174 (08:09 29/3/2020)
  bengershon (13:23 1/4/2020)
    markee174 (16:08 1/4/2020)
      bengershon (21:07 1/4/2020)
        markee174 (07:32 2/4/2020)

Mark Stephens Message #124768, posted by markee174 at 08:09, 29/3/2020
Does all the
work around here

Or post a pix on twitter and post a link.

There is a really nice mimalist setup from at @taynappe at https://twitter.com/taynappe/status/1243868612416491520
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Ben-Gershon Message #124785, posted by bengershon at 13:23, 1/4/2020, in reply to message #124768
PLEASE MOVE THIS WHEREVER IT SHOULD GO - I CAN'T SEND IT ON THE NORMAL "NEW NEWS" PAGE!!

I am running an ARMx6, a Windows 10 machine and a linux server, all connected via a KVM switch to an Eizo FlexScan S2431W monitor. The linux server contains most of the working data files for all 3 machines. Each machine gets used for the applications which run best on it. So most of my day to day work is done in a "Microsoft Free Zone" on the linux server which runs firefox (browser) and thunderbird (for mail). The data on the server (about 4T) is on a RAID array, which is backed up internally 3 times a week, and in addition at the start of each month, and externally when I remember!

The Windows 10 machine is mainly used for high end photographic work and music typesetting with Sibelius.

Both the Windows and linux machines are "home brew" with my own choice of components, and not "off the shelf" systems.

The ARMx6 runs a Jewish calendar generating program which I have developed over the past 20 years, now running to about 20M of code, and using a custom library of Fireworkz custom functions (about 1900 lines of code) and running very fast on the ARMx6. It uses Fireworkz as its engine, then exports to Ovation Pro, and there is no question whatsoever that I could never have developed anything like it in Windows without expending considerably more work (if at all).

I also use the ARMx6 for stuff in Ovation Pro and EasiWriter, with the occasional venture into Artworks territory. It sometimes gets used for editing Windows files which don't edit well under WIndows because it "tries to be too clever"!

In addition I have a WiFi network running through the linux server to which I can add a laptop (Windows 10, but with VirtualRPC adjust so I can run RISC OS stuff away from the office if needed). The WiFi network is run through the linux server as I can block children's hardware from using unwanted outside internet sources. Not really needed any more as the children are mostly married and not at home any more now ...

I always use Ovation or EasiWriter in preference to my Windows 10 software (Word ...) unless I am forced to for compatibility or other reasons. They are just simply more productive than the Windows stuff.

I have noticed recently that the ARMx6 running RISC OS 5.25 is probably the most stable RISC OS machine I have ever used - it recently crashed after being up for 143 days, which is the longest uptime I have ever had on a RISC OS machine in constant use since 2003!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Stephens Message #124786, posted by markee174 at 16:08, 1/4/2020, in reply to message #124785
Does all the
work around here

Michael,

If you send me a photo I will post. My email address is in the last sentence of my article.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Ben-Gershon Message #124788, posted by bengershon at 21:07, 1/4/2020, in reply to message #124786
Thanks. Just sent the photo.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Stephens Message #124789, posted by markee174 at 07:32, 2/4/2020, in reply to message #124788
Does all the
work around here

Many thanks. Will appear next week. Great picture!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: News and features: What is your current RISC OS setup? (Mark Stephens)