User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Test posts: New Playpen website

New Playpen website
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Richard Goodwin Message #22518, posted by rich at 18:49, 1/11/2002
Rich
Dictator for life
'tat got in touch about updating the website, but didn't reply to my reply. So I've gone and worked on something that might do the job anyway.

The idea is that you(*) log into my web based updatey program and change the site without having to worry about FTP details, HTML design and so on.

http://killer.ediblepoets.com/playpen/
is the test site.

Issues:
- yeah, I changed the logo. I needed to because of the colour changing.
- ...this colour changing: http://killer.ediblepoets.com/playpen/colour_list/
- the sep bar is too wide, and too dark.
- the inverted (midnight etc.) colours are messed up: white headlines, bar too light, links too dark etc.
- the logo is the same on every page, no small logo on sub pages. This can be sorted using PHP if necessary.
- yes the chat counter works. Any other PHP?
- page update thing should be inside the bar's influence, not on its own

Comments, people? I need to know if the design is okay; if you want changes to the colours used, or new colour schemes designed (such as a lighter purple one); who's going to have access(*); if you're going to stick to one colour, change the colours regularly using the updatey thingy, or want automatic time based tartiness like the site used to have IIRC; and so on.

Let battle commence.

* trusted people only
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #22520, posted by [mentat] at 03:26, 2/11/2002, in reply to message #22518
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
Yeah sorry about the lack of reply reply Rich, but you did say think about it and work out some ideas before you reply, so I was... ;)

As for the test site... you changed my logo! :frown:

Only kidding. /me goes off to think some more. :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #22524, posted by andypoole at 11:29, 2/11/2002, in reply to message #22518
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Lookin' good

With regard to the colours, I think it would be a nice idea if there was a drop down list somewhere with all of the colour schemes in it, that you choose one and the site remembers (with a cookie?) which one you want, then it's more personalised :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #22535, posted by rich at 16:11, 2/11/2002, in reply to message #22524
Rich
Dictator for life
Lookin' good

With regard to the colours, I think it would be a nice idea if there was a drop down list somewhere with all of the colour schemes in it, that you choose one and the site remembers (with a cookie?) which one you want, then it's more personalised :-)
Nice idea, but tricky to implement. Every page would need some tricky PHP to organise that (considering that the site is essentially one page replicated multiple times, with the content embedded in the middle).

Of course it does fit in nicely with with my plan to have a "random" option so each page picks its own colour - I haven't done one of those since before I got the time based stuff working! :)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Censored Message #22543, posted by Iyonix at 16:28, 2/11/2002, in reply to message #22535
ah... The good old rand() function :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #22544, posted by rich at 16:40, 2/11/2002, in reply to message #22543
Rich
Dictator for life
ah... The good old rand() function :)
Yeah, but you'd have to bolt it on to all the other stuff, especially as the site I did before did "random" based on the user's selection of a number of colours from a list - basically you could theme them so you'd only get the blue and green styles (=four or five styles) and it'd select only from them. That way it's not startlingly random, you get an "ocean" or "fire" or "landscape" colour range experience. Or you can do startlingly random too ;)

The House of Mabel site is quite crude in its implementation as it just selects using simple 'if' statements based on hard-coded dates and times, whereas it'd need to be done properly this time out.

Having said that, the site could be prepared and then a library of new stuff could be bolted in at any time with the minimum of fuss. Regenerating the entire site using the template system requires just the click of a single "refresh all" button.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #22896, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:47, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22544
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Any news on when we'll be able to start work on the site? I've had a good idea - http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=2103#22884 :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #22922, posted by rich at 13:41, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22896
Rich
Dictator for life
Any news on when we'll be able to start work on the site? I've had a good idea - http://www.iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=2103#22884 :E
If you actually say you want to start work on it and tell me who gets the username and password, you can work on it right away. But so far I've been deafened by the bleedin' silence :P
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #22932, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:38, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22922

If you actually say you want to start work on it and tell me who gets the username and password, you can work on it right away. But so far I've been deafened by the bleedin' silence :P
Hear that everybody???

Let's all decide who gets the password then...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #22933, posted by moss at 14:39, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22932

I thought :mentat: was going to get it :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #22936, posted by rich at 15:08, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22933
Rich
Dictator for life
Yeah, but what about the password? :)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #22937, posted by moss at 15:09, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22936

:moss: should get that :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #22945, posted by andypoole at 17:01, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22937
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

:moss: should get that :P
Am I right in thinking that if Rich makes this system, nobody but him will need the bloody password because it's all web-based, or am I talking through my hat again?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #22947, posted by moss at 17:03, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22945

Am I right in thinking that if Rich makes this system, nobody but him will need the bloody password because it's all web-based, or am I talking through my hat again?
I think he'd give it to someone, and *they* would have it; and nobody else needs it. I think.

I still vote for :mentat: :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #22950, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:08, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22945

I think the idea is that someone needs the password to be able to use the web system to change the content on the pages. So unless rich feels like updating the site all the time, someone will need a password. Ideally it should be one password per person, so the web updater thing can track who did what and when. Plus we won't have to wait ages for someone else to update the site for us ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #22966, posted by andypoole at 17:23, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22950
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

I think the idea is that someone needs the password to be able to use the web system to change the content on the pages. So unless rich feels like updating the site all the time, someone will need a password. Ideally it should be one password per person, so the web updater thing can track who did what and when. Plus we won't have to wait ages for someone else to update the site for us ;)
That is what I meant. Rich would have the FTP password so he can do all the posh scriptey things and web-access passwords would go to the relevent peoples.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #22974, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:26, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22966

That is what I meant. Rich would have the FTP password so he can do all the posh scriptey things and web-access passwords would go to the relevent peoples.
You need to make clearer distinctions as to what 'the password' is then ;)

Erm, yes. So, Rich, what are the chances of us all having seperate passwords?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #22985, posted by rich at 18:07, 7/11/2002, in reply to message #22974
Rich
Dictator for life
Erm, yes. So, Rich, what are the chances of us all having seperate passwords?
The system as written is only for single user websites, with no user tracking. It's on the Big Board Of Things To Do When I Have Lots Of Free Time; a proper user tracking thing with admin scripts (who can do what - create new pages? own pages? update other people's pages?), and probably an offline version of a site that only gets made live when an overseer has checked it, is something I'd like to do but haven't got round to.

Having said all that, I could maybe add more than one user that has write access to the site (i.e. create five "sites" that actually point to the same place) and you'd all have your own usernames and passwords; I could then maybe kludge in a simple "X last changed this!", and/or a changes log. At the very least I could revoke a password without kicking everyone off.

Depends on what level of user management is required I guess.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #23074, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:54, 8/11/2002, in reply to message #22985

Depends on what level of user management is required I guess.
Has anyone decided what's happening yet?!?!?!

:mentat:? You are/were in charge, so what do you think?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #23075, posted by rich at 17:12, 8/11/2002, in reply to message #23074
Rich
Dictator for life
:mentat:? You are/were in charge, so what do you think?
Considering I just spent most of the day updating stuff like the new [editor] tag so you can tell who last edited a page, and full changes logging[*], I hope someone is going to use this... ;)

[*] I say full logging, but for some reason logging in gives a log locked error. So if you log in and do nothing else - don't even log out, which logs fine - then you'll be undetectable. Oh, apart from the server logs.

________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #23082, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:21, 8/11/2002, in reply to message #23075

Considering I just spent most of the day updating stuff like the new [editor] tag so you can tell who last edited a page, and full changes logging[*], I hope someone is going to use this... ;)
Ooo, sounds good :)
Any multi user stuff yet?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #23088, posted by rich at 17:56, 8/11/2002, in reply to message #23082
Rich
Dictator for life
Ooo, sounds good :)
Any multi user stuff yet?
I'm afraid knowing who's doing what is as close as I can get in a half day :( (the other half being spent fixing TIB problems - yes, the boss was away ;))
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #24186, posted by rich at 12:36, 17/11/2002, in reply to message #22518
Rich
Dictator for life
So, it appears mentat's back in da house - but still no word on the website!

Moss has his own username and password, if that doesn't scare you into doing something I don't know what will ;)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #24187, posted by moss at 12:51, 17/11/2002, in reply to message #24186

Well, I've emailed :mentat: :o

/me thinks of Playpen ideas :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #24209, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:57, 17/11/2002, in reply to message #24187

:o

Does that mean it's got multi user support now? :E

In a couple of days I'll have plenty of free time to kick start the SENSORED! section :) Although recently an unusually high proportion of GTA Vice City reviews have actually been sensible :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #24217, posted by rich at 07:57, 18/11/2002, in reply to message #24209
Rich
Dictator for life

I've already told you what it can do twice, don't make me hurt you.
Although recently an unusually high proportion of GTA Vice City reviews have actually been sensible :o
Mmm... riding around Miami^H^H^H^H^HVice City at night on a powerful motorcycle to slushy 80s love songs. Who needs Miami Vice reruns? :) Although I think Don Johnson was better with a powerboat than I am :(

The voice cast is excellent too.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #24219, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:38, 18/11/2002, in reply to message #24217

Well you've been a bit funny about the multi user situation:

First you say that you've added the editor tag and the activity logging, suggesting that there is multi user support.
Then, when asked if there is multi user support, you say that the tag & logging were all that you could do in half a day, suggesting that there isn't multi user support.
Then a couple of days ago you say you've given moss his own username and password, suggesting that there is multi user support.
Then you threaten to hurt me when I ask you again :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #24223, posted by rich at 09:43, 18/11/2002, in reply to message #24219
Rich
Dictator for life

Well you've been a bit funny about the multi user situation:

First you say that you've added the editor tag and the activity logging, suggesting that there is multi user support.
Then, when asked if there is multi user support, you say that the tag & logging were all that you could do in half a day, suggesting that there isn't multi user support.
Then a couple of days ago you say you've given moss his own username and password, suggesting that there is multi user support.
Then you threaten to hurt me when I ask you again :(
FFS, none of the above are mutually exclusive.

* There's no true multi user support like on the Big Board Of Things (etc.) but
* You can have your own username and password (obviously, otherwise the tagging and logging would be useless)
* The editor tag and logs then allow you to see who's done what (which is, as you recall, the best I could do in half a day).

You can get access - if someone bothers to tell me who is supposed to have access. I've announced it. I'm trying to do you guys a favour. Use it or don't.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #24226, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:46, 18/11/2002, in reply to message #24223

FFS, none of the above are mutually exclusive.
Hence why I've said that it suggests there is/isn't support

You can get access - if someone bothers to tell me who is supposed to have access. I've announced it. I'm trying to do you guys a favour. Use it or don't.
:mentat:??? :moss:??? :Who ever else feels like being in charge:??? Sort it out! Now!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #24320, posted by moss at 17:27, 18/11/2002, in reply to message #24226

:mentat:??? :moss:??? :Who ever else feels like being in charge:??? Sort it out! Now!
:mentat: is supposed to be leading it; but I've got control for the moment. When I get in contact with :mentat: (/me writes mail) then he'll decide what to do with it all.

I'd like there to be passwords for *everyone* - but that could just create problems, like last time. I suggest that for now, only one person uploads new stuff ( :mentat: ) - this could well change in a few months when everything is up and running.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: Test posts: New Playpen website