Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: !Asylum

!Asylum
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

John Hoare Message #26506, posted by moss at 13:14, 9/12/2002, in reply to message #26488

ACP said:
Well, I think it is best to bitch before the site goes live, that way you don't look like a complete arse when the site does go live. :P
This being the whole point - the site *wasn't* going live without everyone given the chance to bitch about it. But that wasn't now! I *said* it needed a good two hours work doing on it; most of the links don't work, a lot of file renaming needs to be done, and introduction material for each section written. But there's no point in bitching about it now, because I know all you've bitched about needs to be fixed!

Phlamethrower said:
Waiting until it's finished and then b***hing about it doesn't make sense; if it was finished then there wouldn't be anything to b***h about, so b***hing would be unjustified. But at the moment the site is s***e, so therefore I b***h about it.
Of course, instead of bitching about it, you could always say something along the lines of "Well, I hope it's better when you've finished the work on it that wiped", or something. Some of the stuff you've said comes across as needlessly unpleasant; and it's even worse because it wasn't the right time to bitch anyway! I wouldn't have minded a bitch about how long it has taken; but this all seems very, very unfair when I *said* it wasn't finished yet.
IMO there isn't much point uploading a site with all the images broken and most of the content unfinished - a single test page would have done if the site was that bad.
Quite possibly. The reason I uploaded it was that I didn't want you all to think I had only done one page. Believe it or not, it only needs 2/3 hours work doing on it; my stuff it always a mess until I tidy it all up. I shouldn't have uploaded it, you're right.

The reason that all the linking content isn't there is that I've had great trouble writing it, because I tried a few different styles. All of them seemed up their own arse, so in the end I decided to do it straight. Most of the sections need a paragraph or two adding to it. Which I was going to add. Oh, but well done for being unpleasant about the fact they aren't there, despite the fact I said the site *wasn't* ready yet.

However, this really takes the biscuit:

I especially 'like' the asylum download page, where he's blatently copied straight from a text file I wrote giving details about what was in what zip when I uploaded it all. But he's swapped the order round a bit, meaning that it doesn't make sense because the description of the full versions rely on the descriptions of the demos, which are now placed *after* the full versions on the page :|
That was originally written straight; but I realised that your descriptions were much more interesting. So I put them in. In the version I'd lost, they were slightly rewritten, and put in a different order. Oh, but again, well done on being needlessly unpleasant about it all.

Well, I've lost all enthusiasm. Do it yourself. I'll upload Michael's scans+sprites. And you can think I'm over-reacting if you want; I don't care. But read back on the stuff you've written; you need to learn *when* to criticise people's stuff, and when you need to do so, do it with a modicum of tact.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #26507, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:35, 9/12/2002, in reply to message #26506
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

:|

I think you're all being unnecessarily nasty. I didn't really get a chance to see the site, but I don't think it's good to :handbag: about anything that someone has put effort into.

*I* was interested in seeing the Asylum stuff.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #26510, posted by andrew at 14:01, 9/12/2002, in reply to message #26506
HandbagHandbag Boi
Hiya Moss, chill and be like me :)

[Edited by andrew at 14:44, 9/12/2002]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #26511, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:16, 9/12/2002, in reply to message #26506
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Some of the stuff you've said comes across as needlessly unpleasant; and it's even worse because it wasn't the right time to bitch anyway! I wouldn't have minded a bitch about how long it has taken; but this all seems very, very unfair when I *said* it wasn't finished yet.
Yes, some of the stuff I said was needlessly unpleasent, for which I apologize.

The question is what does the version you uploaded add to the test page which you uploaded a few days earlier? In my opinion it doesn't add anything, and so is just asking for trouble because poeple (i.e. me) would expect the newer version to show some progress since the last one, which in my opinion it didn't. Granted you may have draft versions of all the pages now, but if they are still just drafts then there is little point uploading them if we've already seen what a draft page looks like.

Quite possibly. The reason I uploaded it was that I didn't want you all to think I had only done one page. Believe it or not, it only needs 2/3 hours work doing on it; my stuff it always a mess until I tidy it all up. I shouldn't have uploaded it, you're right.
I (and I'm sure everyone else) trust you enough not to have needed you to prove that you'd made more than one page.

The reason that all the linking content isn't there is that I've had great trouble writing it, because I tried a few different styles. All of them seemed up their own arse, so in the end I decided to do it straight. Most of the sections need a paragraph or two adding to it. Which I was going to add. Oh, but well done for being unpleasant about the fact they aren't there, despite the fact I said the site *wasn't* ready yet.
As I've said, I was under the false impression that the site would have had some significant progress since the test page you uploaded. Surely if you know that the problems are there, and you know that they are fixed in the finished version, then you shouldn't be taking offense at my comments since they only relate to the draft version?

However, this really takes the biscuit:
Copying my text files I've got no problem with, but the page did smack a bit of 'Oh, I know, I'll just copy from this. But then I'll rearrange it so that the full versions come first. There, that'll do', without any thought as to what the text said that you were copying. If the page isn't finished then that's forgiveable, but it is a bit worrying that a site that's been worked on for two weeks could be that bad just 2/3 hours away from launch. Yes quite a few of the problems were due to broken links, but those are the kinds of things that people notice, and expect to be in working order.

Well, I've lost all enthusiasm. Do it yourself. I'll upload Michael's scans+sprites. And you can think I'm over-reacting if you want; I don't care. But read back on the stuff you've written; you need to learn *when* to criticise people's stuff, and when you need to do so, do it with a modicum of tact.
Yes, I do think you are over-reacting a bit. However you do have a point; I was over-reacting as well, and I apologize for that.

It appears that this whole issue has come up due to a misunderstanding on my part, for which I wholeheartedly apologize.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 15:02, 9/12/2002]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #26514, posted by andrew at 14:46, 9/12/2002, in reply to message #26511
HandbagHandbag Boi
Unfortunately Jeffrey it doesn't really work like that. If you're negative about somebody's efforts, very often they'll think 'Why bother'. Remember they're likely to be doing programming for the enjoyment of other people as well as themselves so encouragement is way more preferable.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #26515, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:51, 9/12/2002, in reply to message #26514

Yes, that's the problem :(

The bits of the site that worked were great, but people (or at least me) tend to concentrate on the bits that don't work :|
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26517, posted by moss at 17:27, 9/12/2002, in reply to message #26511

It appears that this whole issue has come up due to a misunderstanding on my part, for which I wholeheartedly apologize.
Well, you make some excellent points too, in that post :| I haven't worked on the site as well as I could have; and it wasn't meant, but I can certainly see how copying your text-file would come across.

I'm busy at the moment (trying to catch up on some uni-work - it's the last week before Christmas, and I'm way behind) - but if you want, I'll upload a proper version of the site tomorrow. Promise. And if it's not to your liking, or it's not there: I promise; I won't over-react, and I'll let you bitch all you want.

Sorry I went overboard; I'm a bit stressed at the moment, and kinda took it out on you :(

[Edited by moss at 17:28, 9/12/2002]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #26520, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:53, 9/12/2002, in reply to message #26517

I'm busy at the moment (trying to catch up on some uni-work - it's the last week before Christmas, and I'm way behind) - but if you want, I'll upload a proper version of the site tomorrow. Promise. And if it's not to your liking, or it's not there: I promise; I won't over-react, and I'll let you bitch all you want.
No, it's OK - take as much time as you want. I don't want you going and failing Uni again because of me :|

Sorry I went overboard; I'm a bit stressed at the moment, and kinda took it out on you :(
Nah, it's OK. Serves me right for shooting my mouth off :o

I've got a bit of work to do as well, but as soon as that's done I *will* make a nice WIMPy editor for Asylum :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26522, posted by moss at 17:57, 9/12/2002, in reply to message #26520

I've got a bit of work to do as well, but as soon as that's done I *will* make a nice WIMPy editor for Asylum :)
Yay :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26545, posted by moss at 09:00, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26522

It's time for Russian Roulette with floppy discs again... :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26546, posted by moss at 09:18, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26545

No corruptions :E All saved onto my student space.

Erm, give me a couple of hours ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26552, posted by moss at 10:49, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26546

:| This is a lot more than two hours work. :|

Not going too badly now, though :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26578, posted by moss at 13:18, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26552

http://asylum.acornarcade.com/index2.php

I've actually finished it all*; I'm slowly loading up the pages and fixing my errors as I do it :P Does that look OK so far, though? The descriptions of the games are very deliberately taken from their !Help files; it seemed appropriate, somehow.

(Off to cash a cheque in; will be back doing stuff in an hour.)

* apart from the PFAQ page which I've only just thought of. I thought I'd better have a page detailing where to download SparkPlug, ArcFS, PackDir, etc; and to inform people that the stuff isn't 32-bit compatible, or tested on RO4 yet. And it'll be a good place to answer questions people might send in :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #26579, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:20, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26578

Looks great :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #26590, posted by tlsa at 13:47, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26578

Yeah, that's really good! Well done. :E

Mike
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26591, posted by moss at 13:49, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26579

Looks great :)
Yay! :E

/me gets back to work

Looking at how long this is taking me, you may well have had cause to completely slag off the version I had only done two hours work on. :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26613, posted by moss at 15:45, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26591

ARGH!

PLEASE, PLEASE, LET ME HAVE ACCESS TO MY NETWORK DISC SPACE, YOU UTTER BASTARDS!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #26619, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:08, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26613

Go attack them with a nailgun, that'll raise your spirits :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26620, posted by moss at 16:08, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26613

Oh, and the FTP software can stop cutting me off as well :|

I'm managing one page every 30 bleedin' minutes :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #26622, posted by monkeyson2 at 16:10, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26591

Looking at how long this is taking me, you may well have had cause to completely slag off the version I had only done two hours work on. :o
Yeah, it was a bag of shite. :handbag: ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26623, posted by moss at 16:11, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26622

DO THE SITE YOURSELF THENWAHHELPIAMWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHBWUIWUHW :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #26628, posted by monkeyson2 at 16:16, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26623

DO THE SITE YOURSELF THENWAHHELPIAMWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHBWUIWUHW :o
Does anybody have a feeling of deja vu?

Tommy Boyd etc!

Sorry, moss. It was a joke.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26634, posted by moss at 16:21, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26628

Sorry, moss. It was a joke.
I know :)

http://asylum.acornarcade.com/a_download.php

I've tried to keep :flamethrower:'s useful and interesting information, but have completely rewritten it and added stuff. Is it OK?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #26637, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:26, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26634

Looking good 8)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26642, posted by moss at 16:33, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26637

:E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26644, posted by moss at 16:35, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26642

Oh, yes; check the form stuff on the contact page. Can you see any reason why it isn't working?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #26645, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:36, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26644

I'll have a look
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #26649, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:43, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26645

Any particular reason why you're using Argonets email thingy when PHP has a mail sending function? (Unsurprisingly called mail())

*has a thought*

Are you using the right form method? The argo script may only work if it's a post form, not a get one. I'll have a snoop round and see how it's meant to work.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #26651, posted by moss at 16:46, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26649

Any particular reason why you're using Argonets email thingy when PHP has a mail sending function? (Unsurprisingly called mail())
Yes - I don't know how to use PHP mail() :P I'm sure it's very easy to learn, but I just want to get the site up now.
*has a thought*

Are you using the right form method? The argo script may only work if it's a post form, not a get one. I'll have a snoop round and see how it's meant to work.
It should be correct - I copied it directly from the instructions :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #26652, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:47, 10/12/2002, in reply to message #26649

*has a quick poke around argonet*

I can't find any reference to the script, apart from a different one on the contact page. Are you sure you're even meant to be using that script? Argo may have made it so it only works if the referrer is from their own site, to stop people wasting their bandwidth.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (22): |< < 13 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: !Asylum