Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: More C++ woes

More C++ woes
  (14:58 15/6/2002)
  Phlamethrower (14:25 14/7/2001)
    Phlamethrower (14:27 14/7/2001)
      rich (13:44 17/7/2001)
        ToiletDuck (16:36 17/7/2001)
          alpha (04:13 18/7/2001)
    johnstlr (14:50 14/7/2001)
      Phlamethrower (15:32 14/7/2001)
        colin (12:49 20/7/2001)
      colin (14:58 15/6/2002)
        colin (12:39 20/7/2001)

Phlamethrower Message #4791, posted at 14:25, 14/7/2001, in reply to message #4790
Unregistered user Hmmm... I seem to be having problems editing that post, i.e. it won't save the changes...

It's meant to look like this:

Here's a puzzler which I've come across while working on RGL (*cough* www.coderscauldron.com *cough*). It concerns the transformation matricies...

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

class rglTMat
{
public:
float m[16];
rglTMat() {printf("rglTMat made @ %d\n",(int) this);}
~rglTMat() {printf("rglTMat killed @ %d\n",(int) this);}
void null()
{
int i;
for (i=0;i<16;i++)
m[i]=0;
}
void ident()
{
m[0]=m[5]=m[10]=m[15]=1;
m[1]=m[2]=m[3]=m[4]=0;
m[6]=m[7]=m[8]=m[9]=0;
m[11]=m[12]=m[13]=m[14]=0;
}
rglTMat operator+(rglTMat b)
{
rglTMat o;
int i;
for (i=0;i<16;i++)
o.m[i]=m[i]*b.m[i];
return o;
}
rglTMat operator*(rglTMat b)
{
rglTMat o;
int x,y,i;
printf("Mul stage 1\n");
o.null();
printf("Mul stage 2\n");
for (x=0;x<4;x++)
for (y=0;y<4;y++)
for (i=0;i<4;i++)
o.m[x+(4*y)]+=m[i+(4*y)]*b.m[x+(4*i)];
printf("Mul stage 3\n");
return o;
}
};

void main()
{
rglTMat a,b,c;
printf("Stage 1\n");
a.ident();
b.ident();
printf("Stage 2\n");
c = a*b;
printf("Stage 3\n");
}

Why, when the above program is run, does it produce output similar to the following?

rglTMat made @ 68624
rglTMat made @ 68700
rglTMat made @ 68776
Stage 1
Stage 2
rglTMat made @ 68992
Mul stage 1
Mul stage 2
Mul stage 3
rglTMat killed @ 68992
rglTMat killed @ 68916
rglTMat killed @ 68852
Stage 3
rglTMat killed @ 68776
rglTMat killed @ 68700
rglTMat killed @ 68624

More rglTMat's are released than claimed!
The first three claims and last three releases are presumably for 'a','b' and 'c', and the fourth claim is presumably for 'o'. The question is where do the two extra rglTMat's at 68916 and 68852 come from? Could it be a bug in GCC?

The reason I came across this is that I've been having problems with memory leaks & heap corruption in RGL, so decided to write some functions to track objects as they are made and deleted. When I examined the log file, I'd released 30K more memory than I'd claimed!

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4792, posted at 14:27, 14/7/2001, in reply to message #4791
Unregistered user Grr! why do the leading spaces on the lines vanish?!?!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4793, posted at 14:50, 14/7/2001, in reply to message #4791
Unregistered user

The first three claims and last three releases are presumably for 'a','b' and 'c', and the fourth claim is presumably for 'o'. The question is where do the two extra rglTMat's at 68916 and 68852 come from? Could it be a bug in GCC?

I think you're seeing the effect of C++ creating and deleting temporary objects, although I'm a bit confused as to why you don't see more rgtlMat made messages. I hope someone steps in if I've got this wrong.

rglTMat operator*(rglTMat b)

This creates a temporary object "b". If you don't pass by reference then the object is passed by value meaning C++ creates a new object on the stack and does a bitwise copy of your parameter. When the method exits the temporary object is killed - hence the extra message.

A similar thing happens on return

return o;

This creates a temporary object on the stack which is passed back to the caller before the bitwise copy into "c" is made. The object is then discarded after the copy.

This tallies up with the output you're seeing. One of the "kills" after MUL STAGE 3 is for "o". The others are for "b" and the temporary return object.

You really want to be careful with this as the creation of temporary objects in C++ is a real performance killer. Where possible I suggest always passing in parameters by reference (ie so "b" becomes a reference as opposed to a temporary object. I'll have to look up what you can do about the returned object later as I don't have any C++ references to hand.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4794, posted at 15:32, 14/7/2001, in reply to message #4793
Unregistered user
You really want to be careful with this as the creation of temporary objects in C++ is a real performance killer. Where possible I suggest always passing in parameters by reference (ie so "b" becomes a reference as opposed to a temporary object. I'll have to look up what you can do about the returned object later as I don't have any C++ references to hand.

That may be what's been causing the problems then. Once I rewrite the classes to use references, I should be able to make some sense of the log files.

Thanks for the help

^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #4795, posted at 13:44, 17/7/2001, in reply to message #4792
Unregistered user
Grr! why do the leading spaces on the lines vanish?!?!
Because this is being viewed in a web browser, and HTML doesn't recognise leading spaces (or indeed any multiple spaces)?

Try using character 160 (hard space) instead. ALT+Space on a RISC OS machine should do the trick.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #4796, posted by ToiletDuck at 16:36, 17/7/2001, in reply to message #4795
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
Isnt there a "raw" text thingy that you can use for the forums, a bit like in HTML??
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

alpha Message #4797, posted at 04:13, 18/7/2001, in reply to message #4796
Unregistered user You should be able to use both <code> and <pre> without any problems.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

colin Message #4799, posted at 12:39, 20/7/2001, in reply to message #4798
Unregistered user

I think you're seeing the effect of C++ creating and deleting temporary objects, although I'm a bit confused as to why you don't see more rgtlMat made messages. I hope someone steps in if I've got this wrong.

Ok I'll try again - I found the preview option this time :-)

You don't get the messages because they are created using the copy constructor

tglTMat(const tglTMat&);

unless you specify this it is created automatically for you and by default just does a bitwise copy.

^[ Log in to reply ]

colin Message #4800, posted at 12:49, 20/7/2001, in reply to message #4794
Unregistered user

That may be what's been causing the problems then. Once I rewrite the classes to use references, I should be able to make some sense of the log files.

If speed is important the best way to avoid temporaries is to overload the x= operators ie

void operator+=(const rglTMat& rhs);
void operator*=(const rglTMat& rhs);
etc.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4790, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002
Unregistered user Here's a puzzler which I've come across while working on RGL (*cough* www.coderscauldron.com *cough*). It concerns the transformation matricies...

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

class rglTMat
{
public:
float m[16];
rglTMat() {printf("rglTMat made @ %d\n",(int) this);}
~rglTMat() {printf("rglTMat killed @ %d\n",(int) this);}
void null() {
int i;
for (i=0;i<16;i++)
m[i]=0;
}
void ident() {
m[0]=m[5]=m[10]=m[15]=1;
m[1]=m[2]=m[3]=m[4]=0;
m[6]=m[7]=m[8]=m[9]=0;
m[11]=m[12]=m[13]=m[14]=0;
}
rglTMat operator+(rglTMat b) {
rglTMat o;
int i;
for (i=0;i<16;i++)
o.m[i]=m[i]*b.m[i];
return o;
}
rglTMat operator*(rglTMat b) {
rglTMat o;
int x,y,i;
printf("Mul stage 1\n"wink;
o.null();
printf("Mul stage 2\n"wink;
for (x=0;x<4;x++)
for (y=0;y<4;y++)
for (i=0;i<4;i++)
o.m[x+(4*y)]+=m[i+(4*y)]*b.m[x+(4*i)];
printf("Mul stage 3\n"wink;
return o;
}
};

void main()
{
rglTMat a,b,c;
printf("Stage 1\n"wink;
a.ident();
b.ident();
printf("Stage 2\n"wink;
c = a*b;
printf("Stage 3\n"wink;
}

Why, when the above program is run, does it produce output similar to the following?

rglTMat made @ 68624
rglTMat made @ 68700
rglTMat made @ 68776
Stage 1
Stage 2
rglTMat made @ 68992
Mul stage 1
Mul stage 2
Mul stage 3
rglTMat killed @ 68992
rglTMat killed @ 68916
rglTMat killed @ 68852
Stage 3
rglTMat killed @ 68776
rglTMat killed @ 68700
rglTMat killed @ 68624

The reason I came across this is that I've been having problems with memory leaks & heap corruption in RGL, so decided to write some functions to track objects as they are made and deleted. When I examined the log file, I'd released 30K more memory than I'd claimed!

^[ Log in to reply ]

colin Message #4798, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4793
Unregistered user

You don't get the messages because they are created using the copy constructor

tglTMat(const tglTMat&wink;

unless you specify this it is created automatically for you and by default just does a bitwise copy.

^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Programming: More C++ woes