User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: Starting desktop programming

Starting desktop programming
  moss (16:03 31/10/2001)
   (16:54 31/10/2001)
     (17:02 31/10/2001)
       (14:58 15/6/2002)
           (11:21 1/11/2001)
             (20:25 1/11/2001)
           (14:52 1/11/2001)
                 (22:13 21/11/2001)
                   (09:31 22/11/2001)
                         (09:43 22/3/2002)

moss Message #4837, posted at 16:03, 31/10/2001
Unregistered user What's the best environment for developing desktop programs in? ie. Acorn C/GCC, which libraries, etc.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

AndrewEllis Message #4838, posted at 16:54, 31/10/2001, in reply to message #4837
Unregistered user I've used both Easy C (not Easy C++) and Acorn C/C++ to develop desktop programs.

I preffer the later. It has the user interface toolbox which makes it much easier to creat desktop apps compared with using templates from !wined, !templed, etc.

I don't know how much Acorn C/C++ costs now, when I bought it in 1995 it was £250, compare with £60 for Easy C!

I've never been able to get GCC to work so I can't comment on it.

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4839, posted at 17:02, 31/10/2001, in reply to message #4838
Unregistered user You can get Acorn C/C++ for £120 or so from CJE now. I've used GCC a bit - it needs a 3Mb or so wimpslot - I use it for compiling (very simple!) programs on my C module at uni.

Basically, I'm at the stage where I can write (simple) desktop programs with (the excellent) Dr.Wimp, and I can write very simple programs in C. But in a few weeks, when I've got the basics of C down, I'd like to start experimenting with WIMP stuff.

Thanks for the recommendation - I may well get Acorn C/C++ soon.

^[ Log in to reply ]

monkeyson Message #4842, posted at 11:21, 1/11/2001, in reply to message #4841
Unregistered user Hasn't somebody done a Python front end thing for RISC OS now?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4844, posted at 14:52, 1/11/2001, in reply to message #4843
Unregistered user
In my opinion basic's name is misleading, and I would not recommend it to anyone!

Nah, BASIC is perfectly named, it's a basic programming language that's easy(ish) to learn.

However what people forget is that there are far better languages for writing large applications because they offer ways of structuring data that BASIC doesn't.

^[ Log in to reply ]

davidb Message #4847, posted at 20:25, 1/11/2001, in reply to message #4842
Unregistered user
Hasn't somebody done a Python front end thing for RISC OS now?

Yes.

http://www.david.boddie.net/Software/Python/GUI/

or

http://www-solar.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~davidb/Software/Python/GUI/

David

^[ Log in to reply ]

Paolo Zaino Message #4850, posted at 22:13, 21/11/2001, in reply to message #4849
Unregistered user I a agree with Lee.

If the problem is to start with computer programming the best way for have some little products done and functioning good, is to use BASIC.
BBC BASIC offer many good features and it was made for learning computer programming.

C make a faster code, more system controll but as any power structure it is harder to bedug than BASIC language.

The only problem is that "the wonderfull" BBC BASIC is not object oriented, but for start desktop programming it can be a good friend.

^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4851, posted at 09:31, 22/11/2001, in reply to message #4850
Unregistered user
C make a faster code, more system controll but as any power structure it is harder to bedug than BASIC language.

Oh I wouldn't say that. It can take longer to debug because you have to go through the compile-link stage after making changes but I wouldn't say it was harder to debug. Admittedly C does encourage the use of more advanced techniques than BASIC which may themselves be harder to debug but that's not really the same as saying C is intrinsically harder to debug.

^[ Log in to reply ]

incubus Message #4854, posted at 09:43, 22/3/2002, in reply to message #4853
Unregistered user If anyone's interested, I have made a small example program in C to get people started in programming the wimp. In fact, there are 2 programs, one is a sort of library and one is the main code. They should be easy to understand, but I've also included a brief description of what's going on.
Look at http://www.incubus.clara.co.uk and click on 'programming'. Apologies in advance for the poor site. Hey, if anyone wants to draw me some fancy gfx then I would be grateful!
I ought really to comment the library side of things, as that is where the work is done. I should also make the site look nice but it was a 10 minute rush job the other night.

Any comments appreciated.

- incubus

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4846, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4845
Unregistered user
Anyone ever taken a sneaky peek into Photodesk for example? smile

Or Vantage...

I'm kind of vaguely competent at writing desktop programs in BASIC using Dr Wimp, but it does tend to get a bit convoluted, buggy, and messy. But that's just my bad programing unhappy

I thought it might be useful for me to try coding one in C, if only so I get more practice at the language.

^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #4845, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4843
Unregistered user
My experience of basic is that it is very messy, and much harder to write desktop apps than in C.
No, it's very quick and easy to set up a program in BASIC; even suprisingly complex programs have desktop front-ends in BASIC and just call assembler/C to do the trickier, non-desktop stuff. Anyone ever taken a sneaky peek into Photodesk for example? smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

AndrewEllis Message #4848, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4845
Unregistered user
<blockquote>My experience of basic is that it is very messy, and much harder to write desktop apps than in C.</blockquote>
No, it's very quick and easy to set up a program in BASIC; even suprisingly complex programs have desktop front-ends in BASIC and just call assembler/C to do the trickier, non-desktop stuff. Anyone ever taken a sneaky peek into Photodesk for example? smile

Our experiences and opinions obviously differ. I've tried learning basic, but I found it much harder to learn than C.

Having said that, I haven't been able to produce anything worthwhile in C, I'm at a dead end with it! I started writing a vector graphics program a few years ago, but I can't get it to print, use "rubber banding" properly, or export drawfiles.

I would be pleased if someon could offer some help inthese areas.

^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4849, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4848
Unregistered user

Our experiences and opinions obviously differ. I've tried learning basic, but I found it much harder to learn than C.

I guess it really depends on your mindset. Mind you once you've done BASIC, Pascal, Ada, C/C++ (on various platforms), Prolog, ML, Java and several varieties of assembler you tend to see any language as "just another syntax to learn". wink

Having said that, I haven't been able to produce anything worthwhile in C, I'm at a dead end with it! I started writing a vector graphics program a few years ago, but I can't get it to print, use "rubber banding" properly, or export drawfiles.

I would be pleased if someon could offer some help inthese areas.

All hail the easy to use RISC OS API wink

Seriously these kinds of problems aren't C related, I'd say you were struggling more with the RISC OS API. I don't have an awful lot of experience in those areas (actually I've practically none under the desktop) but feel free to drop me a mail.

^[ Log in to reply ]

AndrewEllis Message #4843, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4840
Unregistered user
BASIC's pretty easy for desktop development too smile

Is it?!

My experience of basic is that it is very messy, and much harder to write desktop apps than in C.

In my opinion basic's name is misleading, and I would not recommend it to anyone!

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4841, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4840
Unregistered user
BASIC's pretty easy for desktop development too smile

I'm in my C programming tutorial now! Don't mention BASIC! tongue

^[ Log in to reply ]

Paolo Zaino Message #4852, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4851
Unregistered user Lee i wont say that C is very harder to bebug, but you know that in anyway we take the problem ... BASIC will be easier to debug than C.

My answer evaluate also this:
a) He already have BBC basic in his computer.
b) he have the bbc basic manuals
c) he have internet for download any kind of basic wimp library...

so...

He could start desktop programs developments and learning with that configuration (less costs and fast applications makeing).
When the user will undestand all desktop programming stuffs and if he will still be interessed in desktop programming he can buy a C/C++ suite and learn it... (but this is only an opinion) cool

anyway Lee, nice to hear you again smile

[Edited by Paolo Zaino at 14:19, 25/11/2001]

^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4853, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4852
Unregistered user Oh I'm not arguing with any of that really. I find C easier because I've spent the last 8 years of my life using it as my main development language. I can't even remember how to define a function in BASIC anymore smile

Good to have you back on the scene Paolo smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #4840, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4839
Unregistered user BASIC's pretty easy for desktop development too smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Programming: Starting desktop programming