Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Grumbles!

Grumbles!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #56308, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:12, 28/6/2004
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I think I just spent about half an hour searching for a thread, only to realise that it was probably lost during the recent server crash :|

Anyway, proof that h11p works! (After some minor tweaking to change the IP address it listens to)

[pre-post-edit]

And IE just decided to forget my cookie as I was about to post this message. Arse!

And my RiscPC looks like the CD drive is starting to play up again. Double arse!

And since I seem to be on a roll, this. Triple arse!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56309, posted by ksattic at 23:20, 28/6/2004, in reply to message #56308
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

And my RiscPC looks like the CD drive is starting to play up again. Double arse!
I've already gone through 3 CD-ROM drives in my RiscPC (all suffered from mechanical failure - the original drive, one from Castle and one from Misco). I've given up now. It's not got one any more. :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56311, posted by adrianl at 00:31, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56308
Hey, I went looking for that thread a while ago too! :)

And I'm glad I'm not the only having a "nothing works" day, swearing at the screen over and over (who'd be a computer monitor, eh?)...

Castle's just announced audio capture sw for the Iyonix (at last!) and I can't get it because the 'update watcher' on my machine wouldn't know an update if it came with a 72-hour trumpet fanfare warning, a parade of 500 dancing girls and a squadron of Red Arrows pilots emblazoning the letters U,P,D,A,T and E across the sky in neon pink smoke!

*sulks*
(very loudly!)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56312, posted by ksattic at 01:23, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56311
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

Castle's just announced audio capture sw for the Iyonix (at last!) and I can't get it because the 'update watcher' on my machine wouldn't know an update if it came with a 72-hour trumpet fanfare warning, a parade of 500 dancing girls and a squadron of Red Arrows pilots emblazoning the letters U,P,D,A,T and E across the sky in neon pink smoke!
LOL!

Visit http://www.iyonix.com/updates/disc.shtml to get the update manually.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56313, posted by adrianl at 01:32, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56312
That doesn't work either. My copy of O2 is very out of date, which maybe doesn't help. Clicking on the IGetUpdate: link does sweet FA. I know I managed to bully it into downloading RO5.05 a while back, but it took a lot of effort and I've forgotten how I eventually succeeded.

My next approach is to try hacking the comms protocol to the Castle webserver! :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #56316, posted by monkeyson2 at 01:41, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56312
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Excellent! Why didn't I notice this on the mailing list this evening? I now consider the Iyonix FINISHED. :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

JMB Message #56317, posted by jmb at 01:51, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56313
That doesn't work either. My copy of O2 is very out of date, which maybe doesn't help. Clicking on the IGetUpdate: link does sweet FA. I know I managed to bully it into downloading RO5.05 a while back, but it took a lot of effort and I've forgotten how I eventually succeeded.

If it doesn't work with the latest (and, yes, I *mean* the latest) build of NetSurf, I'd blame user error :P
<fx: sulks about trying to launch IGetFoo: URLs with NS uncovering bugs in his code>

My next approach is to try hacking the comms protocol to the Castle webserver! :o

A bit drastic, methinks ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56319, posted by ksattic at 02:08, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56313
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

The update was only available if fetched via the web before. It's now available for automatic download via the update watcher. Hopefully you've received a popup by now! If not, I'll email you a copy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56320, posted by adrianl at 02:20, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56317
Brilliant, that's done the job!

*grabs everything from the site before IyoUpWtch has time to notice, just in case....*

Thanks!
*delete !O2

I owe you a |beer|. And, since |beer| isn't good for you, I'll return the favour by drinking it for you ;)

BTW, whilst we're discussing NetSurf, I download the source to have a nosey but I appear to be missing the necessary 'lib<blah>' libraries & can't see them in the sf repository. Should I just grab them from the appropriate projects? Do they compile unmodified for use in NetSurf and/or do I need specific versions?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56321, posted by adrianl at 02:24, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56319
The update was only available if fetched via the web before. It's now available for automatic download via the update watcher. Hopefully you've received a popup by now! If not, I'll email you a copy.

No, I haven't got a popup. I never get popups. Well, only for USBInfo after I've clicked "Don't tell me again" because I only use USB for keyboard & mouse (and hate the keyboard at that!)

Anyway, courtesy of JMB, I now have a copy. Thanks for the offer.
(I'd just started trying to guess the parameters to !IyoUpWtch.GetUpdates BTW!)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56322, posted by ksattic at 02:30, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56321
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

You know you can force updates with the update watcher, right?

Don't tell me that doesn't work either!! ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

JMB Message #56323, posted by jmb at 02:30, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56320
Brilliant, that's done the job!

:E

I owe you a |beer|. And, since |beer| isn't good for you, I'll return the favour by drinking it for you ;)

tsk.

BTW, whilst we're discussing NetSurf, I download the source to have a nosey but I appear to be missing the necessary 'lib<blah>' libraries & can't see them in the sf repository. Should I just grab them from the appropriate projects? Do they compile unmodified for use in NetSurf and/or do I need specific versions?

Most of them do, yes.

I'll save you the effort - http://netsurf.strcprstskrzkrk.co.uk/developer/ :P

[edit] Oh, and http://ro-oslib.sf.net/ for oslib. NetSurf builds with both GCC and Norcroft. If you're compiling under RISC OS, you'll probably want to modify riscos/mk appropriately. Also, the /developer/ dir I mentioned above has prebuilt versions of the automatically generated source files. Saves setting up perl et al.

[Edited by jmb at 02:36, 29/6/2004]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56325, posted by adrianl at 03:10, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56323
Wahey, thanks for all that. I've got some learning to do! :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56326, posted by adrianl at 03:17, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56322

Well, I know that I'm supposed to be able to force updates....

In fact I did get a popup eventually, but it never did anything beyond its connection dance (0,1,2,3...) each of the myriad times that I hit 'look for updates now.' IIRC it never has.

Popups are sporadic at best.... and the links on the website still do nothing with this (archaic?) version of O2 for some unfathomable reason. So, NetSurf it is.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #56331, posted by andypoole at 09:38, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56326
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Well, I know that I'm supposed to be able to force updates....

In fact I did get a popup eventually, but it never did anything beyond its connection dance (0,1,2,3...) each of the myriad times that I hit 'look for updates now.' IIRC it never has.

Popups are sporadic at best.... and the links on the website still do nothing with this (archaic?) version of O2 for some unfathomable reason. So, NetSurf it is.
Um, silly question, but why not update !O2?

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56345, posted by adrianl at 13:13, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56331
Castle-permitting I will. This is a developer machine and somehow I was overlooked. I've never pursued it until now.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #56347, posted by andypoole at 14:24, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56345
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Castle-permitting I will. This is a developer machine and somehow I was overlooked. I've never pursued it until now.
I thought that, like !Oregano (which I use, having refused to pay £50-odd to upgrade to !Oregano2), it has an automatic updater system built in?

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56348, posted by adrianl at 15:23, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56347

I thought that, like !Oregano (which I use, having refused to pay £50-odd to upgrade to !Oregano2), it has an automatic updater system built in?

Maybe it has. AFAICR this (very early) demo of O2 never bothered me about updates, though I could have smacked the 'sod off and leave me alone button' 18 months ago and not remembered ;)

Now running the shiny, spangly, latest version of O2. Well, 'walking' it anyway.... feels rather sluggish TBH.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #56349, posted by rich at 15:33, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56348
Rich
Dictator for life
Now running the shiny, spangly, latest version of O2. Well, 'walking' it anyway.... feels rather sluggish TBH.
Hope you're not just pointing it to the 1.0 empire (TIB etc.) - apparently it doesn't like us. It's supposed to be faster on other sites; these sites if you go via a proxy; or these sites if you use any other browser. Sounds like someone out there doesn't like us ;)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56350, posted by adrianl at 15:57, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56349
Hope you're not just pointing it to the 1.0 empire (TIB etc.) - apparently it doesn't like us. It's supposed to be faster on other sites
No, it's not that.... it's just the general feel of the app, and especially the redraw speed. Perusing that thread it's closer to 3 seconds than 13 to download & render TIB pages.... I'm just impatient :P

So many people like to say that the user is the slowest part of any system, so tuning your code is a waste of time, yet still I have to wait for computers to boot, programs to load, web pages to be rendered (not just downloaded), ATMs are far too slow, telephones don't keep up with my dialling speed.... </rant>

Oh, and O2 still doesn't correctly (never mind efficiently) redraw the text in edit boxes
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56353, posted by adrianl at 16:00, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56350
And another thing, why don't programs support non-square pixel modes nowadays?! :(

Well, the thread is called grumbles
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #56358, posted by monkeyson2 at 16:35, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56353

And another thing, why don't programs support non-square pixel modes nowadays?! :(

Well, the thread is called grumbles
When I had my A3010 I was really narked with people who didn't design low res icons for their apps.

Eventually I got a better monitor and no longer cared about the low res icons... only the paletted 256 colour ones that took forever to invert :P

Do you use a rectangular pixel mode regularly then? I notice the Aemulor screenshots in the manual are all like that. :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #56361, posted by adrianl at 16:52, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56358
When I had my A3010 I was really narked with people who didn't design low res icons for their apps.

Eventually I got a better monitor and no longer cared about the low res icons...

I like to think that the programmers concerned are ignorant of the problem, rather than just not caring!

Do you use a rectangular pixel mode regularly then? I notice the Aemulor screenshots in the manual are all like that. :o

Most of the time, partly because it gives a better aspect ratio to text (StrongED & command line) and more lines on the screen (very useful when programming!) and partly because I'm still using an AKF60 that refuses to die ;) It can handle my custom rectangular pixel modes at 75Hz or the standard 1024 x 768 at a distressing 60Hz :o

I usually try to remember to switch to 1024 x 768 for grabbing screenshots but often forget. I know that some programs handle such sprites incorrectly, you see.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56364, posted by ksattic at 17:14, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56361
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

Most of the time, partly because it gives a better aspect ratio to text (StrongED & command line) and more lines on the screen (very useful when programming!)
Perhaps I'm not understanding this, but by definition don't regular (tall-pixel) rectangular pixel modes give you less scan lines (and thus less text lines)?

Quite a lot of people use rectangular pixel modes inadvertantly. How many of you are using 1280x1024 on a 4:3 monitor?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #56366, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:41, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56364

Quite a lot of people use rectangular pixel modes inadvertantly. How many of you are using 1280x1024 on a 4:3 monitor?
Depends how you set the minotor up to stretch the image.

I use 1360x1024 :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #56370, posted by Phlamethrower at 18:46, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56366
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

This thread was more popular than I expected! :o

*watches a bird fly past, making the noise of a jet*

Umm, maybe that was a jet :blush:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #56371, posted by moss at 18:48, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56370

bird... making... noise...jet
:drool:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56374, posted by ksattic at 19:39, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56371
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

Worst. Thread. Ever.

I've been watching The Simpsons too much. ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #56376, posted by monkeyson2 at 20:10, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56374

That isn't possible.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #56377, posted by ksattic at 20:13, 29/6/2004, in reply to message #56376
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

That isn't possible.
You're right. ;)

Worst. Excuse. Ever.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Grumbles!