Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Games, eh?

Games, eh?
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

VinceH Message #106165, posted by VincceH at 15:07, 22/1/2008, in reply to message #106163
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

As for the rest of it, I was simply trolling (did you notice almost all of my argument was a cut and paste?).
Yes, for this week I am mostly not being a goldfish.

Glug glug.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #106170, posted by monkeyson2 at 10:14, 23/1/2008, in reply to message #106165
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Who's going to try playing Assassin's Creed on their PC then? shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106171, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:06, 23/1/2008, in reply to message #106170
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

"that's more a problem with how it's made... shitty devs"

^ What he said.

2GB of RAM is a bit rich, considering that the 360 itself only has 512MB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #106172, posted by andypoole at 11:29, 23/1/2008, in reply to message #106170
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Who's going to try playing Assassin's Creed on their PC then? shock
Not me, mine fails with many new games (Bioshock gets somewhere around 2fps on a good day), and a lot of older ones struggle unhappy

Me needs a new games box.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106173, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:43, 23/1/2008, in reply to message #106172

Me needs a new games box.
Just buy Contra 4. YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #106178, posted by filecore at 14:32, 23/1/2008, in reply to message #106173

Well, I can manage Crysis and Bioshock well enough, on my paltry setup. I shan't be upgrading for a few years yet, especially with the current speed of development in the computer technology field.

That said, Crysis was pretty disappointing and despite the comments a dozen or so posts back, I see no point in playing it simply for the quality of its textures. I'm going back to various GTA and Gothic 3. Even C&C3 was worth playing, even if its graphics weren't the best.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106179, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:41, 23/1/2008, in reply to message #106178

That said, Crysis was pretty disappointing
See! I tried to warn you! tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #106182, posted by filecore at 17:20, 23/1/2008, in reply to message #106179

That said, Crysis was pretty disappointing
See! I tried to warn you! tongue
Although, to be fair, that argument was about low vs. high graphic settings, which to me has no bearing on the quality of the game. Looking good != playing well. I will take well-coded gameplay over superficially nice but otherwise useless graphics. I install games to play them, not to sit back and merely look on.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106183, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:38, 23/1/2008, in reply to message #106182

I will take well-coded gameplay over superficially nice but otherwise useless graphics.
The graphics wouldn't just be superficially nice, though; the object popup when you run on low graphics settings will have an effect on gameplay.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106740, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:33, 13/3/2008, in reply to message #106183

http://kotaku.com/367283/miller-barlog-working-on-mad-max-game

Woop?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #106741, posted by VincceH at 09:57, 13/3/2008, in reply to message #106740
VincceH

Woop?
I think that probably does deserve a woop, yes - as much for the prospect of another Mad Max movie, as for the prospect of a game.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106991, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:01, 8/4/2008, in reply to message #106741

WTF? shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107222, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:46, 1/5/2008, in reply to message #106991

I have an achievement-whoring friend who wants to whore himself all the new medic achievements in TF2. To do this he wants to enlist the help of other achievement whores, so if you are a filthy little whore (or just want to smash people to bits with an ubersaw) then post here to let me know so I can tell him how many are interested.

The plan would probably be to just get together some time and find an empty server somewhere where we can work together to get as many of the achievements as possible.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107223, posted by filecore at 17:11, 1/5/2008, in reply to message #107222

I'm a filthy little whore but sadly that's just in RL v1.0 and not in TF 1 or 2 unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107500, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:18, 26/5/2008, in reply to message #107223

*starts getting excited about Spore*

Full release in September! Creature creator in mid-June! Woo!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107632, posted by Phlamethrower at 01:43, 11/6/2008, in reply to message #107500

Sporeeepeeediaaa!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107656, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:17, 14/6/2008, in reply to message #107632

http://kotaku.com/5016479/spore-creature-creator-demo-leaks-early

Wheee!

*runs off to make his own flying penis creature*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107700, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:52, 24/6/2008, in reply to message #107656

http://kotaku.com/5018984/peggle-perfection-requires-a-dash-of-madness

Aah, so *that's* how you're meant to beat the 750k-in-one-level challenge tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107864, posted by Phlamethrower at 21:41, 14/7/2008, in reply to message #107700

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/106536.html

And I thought I was doing well when I recently realised that it's possible to complete the game without doing any of the missions. You do need to rely on a few bugs to get there, but as usual it's not quite as extreme as what the speed runners come up with.

And although that video isn't for the 'true' endings, there is another one which does go there - and manages to one-up me again by opening the locked door by dropping a gun inside it, instead of using my less dubious method of chucking grenades through a window in order to knock the key close enough so it can be picked up.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108606, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:16, 28/10/2008, in reply to message #107864

Dead Space seems a bit shitty, in case anyone cares. The entire user interface is abysmal - I would try to blame it on the PC version being a quick hacky port of the console versions but some of the problems seem to run much deeper than that.

* The mouse is too fast in the menus, and feels like treacle ingame (especially when in 'aim mode')
* The holographic in-game UIs force you to use the arrow keys on the keyboard for navigation and selection instead of just using the mouse (e.g. like Doom 3).
* Some of the control assignments are bizarre - you can carry 4 weapons, and the weapon selector thing appears with the 4 weapons laid out in a + shape. Each of the four weapons corrisponds to the keys 1-4. You'd expect 1 to be the top, 2 to be the left, 3 to be the right, and 4 to be the bottom (Or for them to simply lay them out in a straight line) - but instead 1 is top, 2 is bottom, 3 is left, and 4 is right. And there's no mention of what weapon slot corrisponds to what key anywhere in the manual, so you've got to fumble around until you work it out yourself.
* The reload key only functions when you're standing still. You can walk around during the reload animation, but in order to start reloading you need to stop moving. Not very useful if you're in the middle of dodging something that's attacking you.
* The third person camera feels too low, blocking off practically everything to the left of your character. It's also out far too wide, which makes the starting scenes particularly bad because you've got to navigate the tiny corridors of the shuttle you arrive in (Luckily most of the corridors of the main ship are much wider)
* It's also got autolook (or whatever it's called) so the camera has a habit of pitching to match the slope you're on if you try walking up/down a slope without moving the mouse for too long. There's no way of turning this off.
* The camera direction doesn't always match the direction your character is facing, which means that you often can't see the holographic displays which are projected infront of your character.
* If there are multiple items within interaction distance then it's pot luck which one you'll interact with when you press E. e.g. if there's some ammo on the floor next to a health station then you'll often try activating the health station (while you're already at full health) instead of picking up the ammo. The camera direction doesn't affect the choice of interaction target at all; all you can do is try walking around until you find the right spot.
* For the first hour or two your movement will be interrupted every 5 minutes while it shows you a tutorial popup hint thing. You've then got to wait a few seconds before you're able to dismiss the prompt before you'll have full control (and visibility) back. There's no option to turn these popups off.
* Your character has enough strength in his legs to rip peoples limbs off when stomping on their bodies, but not enough strength to jump unless he's in a zero-gravity environment.
* When you are in zero-G, your gun ammo indicator is used to show whether you can jump to the surface you're aiming at (?!?!)
* At various points you're meant to use kinesis to pick up bulky power packs and slot them into sockets in the walls. But it's almost impossible to get the power pack to lock in place, so half the time it will wobble its way back out again when you let go of it.

Enough about the user interface, then. What about the rest of it?

The gameplay seems fairly standard survival-horror shooter fare. You're only fighting a handful of enemies at once (except for swarms of little blob things that come at you sometimes), and the arrival of any enemy is highlighted by the change to the big, dramatic scary music. Except the AI is dumb so you usually go to the next room and live out the rest of your life in complete safety, while the music tries its best to convince you that you're 0.1 seconds away from death. The music is also a good indicator for when you've killed everything because afterwards it will go back to normal. There's also the prerequisite amount of darkened corridors, inanimate corpses suddenly becoming animate, things scuttling around behind fences where they can't quite get to you, and things jumping out of grates in order to get to you, and other obviously tightly-scripted happenings.

In terms of combat, although the idea of dismembering your enemies in order to kill them initially sounds promising, in the end it's usually still just about firing at them frantically until they stop moving (Or stop moving, then start moving again, then stop moving again). Or you can play in women-and-children mode by using the stasis gun thing to slow each enemy as it approaches so you can aim at the limbs more easily and dismember it properly.

The only thing the game really has going for it is that there are no loading screens - the loading seems to be all hidden away from you when you take a journey in an enclosed lift or tram.

Basically the game's like Doom 3 except if it had a bit less ammo and a crap UI/control scheme. And no loading screens.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 00:24, 28/10/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108643, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:17, 31/10/2008, in reply to message #108606

In hopefully non-shit games news, it seems that if you pre-order Left 4 Dead via steam you'll have access to the demo on November 6th (Everyone else will have to wait until the 11th for the demo). And then the full game on the 18th, obviously (which is also another reason to get it from Steam since the crazy Friday-favouratist UK release schedule means that if you don't get it from Steam you'd have to wait until the 21st).

http://store.steampowered.com/news/1945/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108798, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:08, 19/11/2008, in reply to message #108643

So who's got Left 4 Dead, then? It's quite fun.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #108800, posted by filecore at 08:02, 19/11/2008, in reply to message #108798

Speaking of Steam, have you seen this?

http://www.developmag.com/news/30515/Google-to-buy-Valve
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #108801, posted by VincceH at 09:18, 19/11/2008, in reply to message #108800
VincceH

I've just noticed this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70/

Specifically, the release date.

For most games, I'd not give a fig, but this is probably one of my all time favourite games, and it's 10 years old today.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #108803, posted by filecore at 11:13, 19/11/2008, in reply to message #108801

"Only" ten years... wow.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108804, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:55, 19/11/2008, in reply to message #108800

Speaking of Steam, have you seen this?

http://www.developmag.com/news/30515/Google-to-buy-Valve
Yes, and it's all lies.

http://kotaku.com/5051164/valve-kills-google-buy+out-rumor
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (6): |< < 6

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Games, eh?