Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: The Official Zaurus Thread RAWR!

The Official Zaurus Thread RAWR!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

richard cheng Message #98814, posted by richcheng at 11:10, 19/2/2007, in reply to message #98796

Cool beans!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #98815, posted by richcheng at 11:13, 19/2/2007, in reply to message #96664

To get colour in console nethack, it's just a case of 'export TERM=linux' (And making sure colour is enabled in nethack's options ). But I still haven't worked out how to get the cursor keys working (Does regular nethack support the cursor keys, or just the numpad? I forget)
Is there any reason why you wouldn't always want your TERM to be linux?

Also, is ~/.profile the right place to put the export line if so? It seems to work okay.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #98817, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:37, 19/2/2007, in reply to message #98815
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Is there any reason why you wouldn't always want your TERM to be linux?
Probably not. But for some reason it doesn't come set that way

Also, is ~/.profile the right place to put the export line if so? It seems to work okay.
If it works, then I guess it's the right place
At the moment, mine is just in the nethack startup script.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102194, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:33, 14/5/2007, in reply to message #81534

I can't get it to mount the nfs exports on my pc unhappy
Not sure why I didn't think of trying this before...

http://www.csparks.com/CygwinNFS/index.xhtml
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102195, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:43, 14/5/2007, in reply to message #102194

Also: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102436, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:30, 25/5/2007, in reply to message #102195

I've written a simple bash script to sync a directory on my Zaurus with one on my Iyonix. Yay!

Main reasons for this are: (a) no rsync installed on either machine, (b) the copy of cp on the zaurus is rather bare-bones and doesn't recognise the -u switch, (c) because I can.

By comparing against a 3rd copy It'll detect when a file has been changed on both machines and produce a diff, but the change-detection code (using last modified dates) seems a bit dodgy in general since NFS/moonfish doesn't seem to support cp -a very well. All the files created on the Iyonix have the current time, instead of the source file time unhappy

I may have a go at an improved version, which looks at the output of ls -l to work out what's changed. This will allow me to get rid of the 3rd folder (since it can just save the output of the last ls instead), but will be somewhat trickier to program in a bash script.

Also, I have today discovered that linux allows you to mount the same file system multiple times indiff

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 00:32, 25/5/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102666, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:28, 4/6/2007, in reply to message #102436

Today I have discovered that the copy of OmniClient that was supplied with my Iyonix, although apparently useless at connecting to my broken-networked PC, is able to connect fine to my Zaurus. Yay! (Well, after adding 'zaurus' to my Hosts file (which may explain why I've had problem with previous connection attempts), done 'configure LMTransport IP' (since it was defaulting to NetBEUI, and Castle didn't supply OmniSetup for some reason), and realized that entering a single space for the password would get round the 'incorrect password' nonsense)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102667, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:33, 4/6/2007, in reply to message #102666

...except the OmniClient frontend recognise "SD Card" as a share name, presumably because it contains a space. Bah!

*attempts to coax it into connecting via the command line*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102668, posted by Phlamethrower at 09:02, 4/6/2007, in reply to message #102667

Ah-ha! You don't need to worry about entering "SD Card" as a mount name at all. Once you're connected to the Zaurus (presumably to the Documents mount, since that's the only one the frontend will accept), you can get a list of mounts from that server and connect to SD Card just by double clicking on it. Without messing around with entering a space for the password, either. Yay!
screen7.jpg 1047x977 187.1KB
screen7.jpg
1047x977
187.1KB

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #103273, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:52, 2/7/2007, in reply to message #102668

Interesting Zaurus fact of the day #7867241:

It appears that it's possible for the battery to discharge to such a level that, although the Zaurus will refuse to turn on, if you charge the battery and then turn it on you will find that the Zaurus was stll in sleep mode and none of your work will have been lost (and neither will you have to sit through the looooong boot process).

Either that, or my Zaurus is playing silly buggers with me.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #104689, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:10, 10/10/2007, in reply to message #103273

Spiffy tiny+cheap+linux laptop news. But apparently the battery life is still a load of poo compared to a proper palmtop/PDA.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #104690, posted by flibble at 09:37, 10/10/2007, in reply to message #104689
flibble

It's by RM, for extra Acorn tauntage.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #104738, posted by richcheng at 17:21, 12/10/2007, in reply to message #104690

I want one.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #105097, posted by richcheng at 15:15, 2/11/2007, in reply to message #104738

TrustedReviews gives it a thumbs up.

It's galling that it's quite a bit cheaper than my Zaurus was, and actually more what I was looking for. Maybe I will get one as well.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105666, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:32, 12/12/2007, in reply to message #105097

Not entirely Zaurus related, but I have just discovered that my router can act as a VPN gateway.

But in entirely Zaurus related news, it looks like OpenVPN will run on the Zaurus (e.g. using the instructions found here).

So assuming that the VPN protocol my router uses is compatible with OpenVPN and isn't some magical proprietary system (They do provide their own VPN client for you to use - but that's presumably just because they're being nice), I could theoretically l33t h4x0r my network while not at home.

But that probably won't have much practical use as I still don't have any computers that actually work when I try sending Wake-On-LAN packets to them unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #105808, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:36, 31/12/2007, in reply to message #105666

Handy hint of the day: For some reason NetFront was set to use a nonexistent font by default. This means that what it actually does is pick up one of the fonts from the first page that it loads, and uses that instead. It also seems to result in textareas being stupidly small. So if you have small textareas all the time (no more than 200 pixels wide I'd say) then check what font the browser is trying to use.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #110059, posted by richcheng at 14:50, 14/5/2009, in reply to message #105808

Bump!

My Zaurusaur wasn't getting much (read: any) use--since I now have an eee which has a more proper keyboard--and when I turned it on the other day I discovered that it would no longer go into suspend mode. And worse than that, if you tried to suspend it, it would hang and require a ridiculously protracted reboot.

So last night I decided to bite the bullet and install Angstrom* on it. The installation went pretty smoothly! And Angstrom seems pretty nice, so far. I haven't done much with it yet, though, as I'm still struggling to figure out how to get it to connect to my network without turning off encryption.

Do you still Zaur, or are you too busy beagling these days?

* Formerly known as Open Zaurus
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #110061, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:09, 14/5/2009, in reply to message #110059

and when I turned it on the other day I discovered that it would no longer go into suspend mode. And worse than that, if you tried to suspend it, it would hang and require a ridiculously protracted reboot.
Hmm, can't say mine has ever done that.

Do you still Zaur, or are you too busy beagling these days?
It still gets used when needed (i.e. not very often). I have been considering installing Angstrom on it too, since there's never going to be any updates to the official apps, and the Zaurus Angstrom distributions are now being developed again (along with Angstrom as a whole for the Pandora & beagle & stuff). One of the Angstrom images I built for trying out on my beagleboard did seem rather Qt-like, so I know roughly what to expect if I was to try it on the Zaurus.

I'm not really sure if Zaurus Angstrom uses Qt, but with any luck it will have a working SDL port so I can easily compile Death Dawn for it (I still haven't figured out how to get Qt to redraw the window more at anything more than 5fps, even though the game is running at ~30fps in the background unhappy)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 4

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: The Official Zaurus Thread RAWR!