User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: What would you like to know about TEK?

What would you like to know about TEK?
  tfountain (17:49 7/1/2001)
  [Steve] (18:13 7/1/2001)
    Jon Atherton (19:56 7/1/2001)
      kick52 (23:08 7/1/2001)
        davef (23:50 7/1/2001)
          johnstlr (10:31 8/1/2001)
            Phlamethrower (16:15 8/1/2001)
              johnstlr (10:36 9/1/2001)

Tim Fountain Message #85302, posted by tfountain at 17:49, 7/1/2001
AA refugee
I think it's about time we updated our TEK preview, so what exactly would you like to know about the game that you'd like me to put to Artex? Post questions below...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Steve Allen Message #85303, posted by [Steve] at 18:13, 7/1/2001, in reply to message #85302
AA refugee
Will they send me a free copy tongue

Ummmmmmm, I think I'd like to know how they think it will compare with C&C etc on the pc - whether its simply going to be a good acorn game, or a good game by any platforms standards, if that doesnt sound harsh.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jonathan Atherton Message #85304, posted by Jon Atherton at 19:56, 7/1/2001, in reply to message #85303
AA refugee
I agree with Steve.

Also, does it have any particular features that make it stand out from other realtime strategy games?

Will it come out in time for the Wakefield show?

^[ Log in to reply ]

Tim Brook Message #85305, posted by kick52 at 23:08, 7/1/2001, in reply to message #85304
The obvious one of course: When will it be out?

How many players in multiplayer games?
Will Internet play be available?
How about LAN play?

Answers to those questions may be in the TEK special in Acorn User but I don't subscribe and news stand appearances are random here in Iceland.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Dave F Message #85306, posted by davef at 23:50, 7/1/2001, in reply to message #85305
AA refugee
On the unit list their is no mention of infantry or the different types, yet it is mentioned in the about Tek section on the Artex site. So if they are there what can you get? (e.g. GIs, Engineers, spies etc.)

Are there gonna be vertical cliffs? transparent shadows? beaches? sea?

Generally more about how you would contruct (contruction tree, what buildings give you what), and defend (anti air missile launchers, turrets?, sandboxes) bases? Oh, and if there are walls can you drag them out, like in say SimCity 2000 when you build a road?

Will units have strengths and weeknesses to stop tank rushes? (e.g normal tank can't defend agaisnt air attacks, tanks which can are slow with lots of armour)

You can equip units different weapons, armour etc, what units can be equipped with what?
Are you going to have to refill units with petrol when they run out?

Theres a few questions you can ask them smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #85307, posted by johnstlr at 10:31, 8/1/2001, in reply to message #85306
Will Internet play be available?

Answers to those questions may be in the TEK special in Acorn User but I don't subscribe and news stand appearances are random here in Iceland.

Yep, according to Acorn User they're building a infrastructure which will allow people to log into a central server and leave messages saying when they'd like a game and hopefully people will log in at the same time.

Obviously this is necessary because in the RISC OS market you can't assume that anyone will be logged into the server at the same time as you.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #85308, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:15, 8/1/2001, in reply to message #85307
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Obviously this is necessary because in the RISC OS market you can't assume that anyone will be logged into the server at the same time as you.

Except other RISC OS users (Or so we hope).

Hmmm.... Are they going to release a level editor with it?

How does the unit AI work? Do you manually set up triggers and things (e.g. an enemy comes through here then alert the others and kill them), or is it more automatic?

I think an RTS where you have to program the units would be quite interesting - so it would be down to the programmers skill as to whether they win the war or not, rather than who has the fastest mouse hand smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #85309, posted by johnstlr at 10:36, 9/1/2001, in reply to message #85308
Except other RISC OS users (Or so we hope).

Yeah but with a market the size of ours you'd have to assume that the server will be mostly empty unless people had agreed to meet at a certain time.

I think an RTS where you have to program the units would be quite interesting - so it would be down to the programmers skill as to whether they win the war or not, rather than who has the fastest mouse hand smile

Anyone remember Core Wars where you wrote programs in "red code" and then pitched them against each other? It sounds like you're suggesting a mega version of that. Now that would be quite interesting but the scripting language would have to be slightly less daunting than the assembler mnemonics of red code. cool

^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Games: What would you like to know about TEK?