Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:1)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: Java games and RISC OS

Java games and RISC OS
  sendu (18:15 19/1/2001)
  johnstlr (19:06 19/1/2001)
    Ramuh (20:51 19/1/2001)
      Phlamethrower (13:19 20/1/2001)
        [Steve] (15:39 20/1/2001)
          ToiletDuck (18:02 20/1/2001)
            johnstlr (19:33 20/1/2001)

Sendu Bala Message #85328, posted by sendu at 18:15, 19/1/2001
AA refugee
There's a brilliant free 3d rpg game at http://www.jagex.com/runescape.html that you can play in your browser window because it's written in java.

As far as I can tell it doesn't work with Acorns Java v0.76. But even if we had the latest version of a full Java 'thing', would a game like jagex work under RISC OS? Would it run at full speed?

And on a related note, are there any (plans for) RISC OS rpg games in a similar vein to Biowares stuff (Baulders Gate etc.)?

^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #85329, posted by johnstlr at 19:06, 19/1/2001, in reply to message #85328
There's a brilliant free 3d rpg game at http://www.jagex.com/runescape.html that you can play in your browser window because it's written in java.

It could be written in COM and you could still play it in your browser window....

As far as I can tell it doesn't work with Acorns Java v0.76. But even if we had the latest version of a full Java 'thing', would a game like jagex work under RISC OS? Would it run at full speed?

That would rather depend on whether it depended on any non-standard or extension Java APIs - eg does the engine require OpenGL bindings (in which case it won't work), does it require Java3D (in which case it probably won't work because Java3D wasn'ta standard part of Java last time I looked).

If it was pure Java x.xx and we had a Java x.xx implementation then in theory, yes it would work. However it's usually not quite that simple in practise.

Would it run at full speed? Difficult to say as I've not played. Looking at the screenshots I'd imagine that an XScale would cope.

What spec PC are you playing it on (and what OS and JVM)? I might be able to give a better answer if I knew that.

And on a related note, are there any (plans for) RISC OS rpg games in a similar vein to Biowares stuff (Baulders Gate etc.)?

The closest are probably Andrew Westons Overcast 2, more on which can be found at

http://www.aweston.redhotant.com/

and The Forever Story by Shane (surname?) at

http://members.aol.com/ramuhuk/

^[ Log in to reply ]

Shane Message #85330, posted by Ramuh at 20:51, 19/1/2001, in reply to message #85329
AA refugee
Thanks for the plug Lee smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #85331, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:19, 20/1/2001, in reply to message #85330
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I've had a look at Runescape, and it seems pretty good. On my 350MHz K6-2 it runs at about 10fps for an empty map (e.g. the upper floors of the windmill), and when the screen gets really busy it drops to about 5. Does look a lot like a SA wouldn't be able to pull that off unhappy

And if anyone sees me, I'm 'Hairy Harry'. Brown beard with greenish clothes.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Steve Allen Message #85332, posted by [Steve] at 15:39, 20/1/2001, in reply to message #85331
AA refugee
Does planetarion (www.planetarion.com) work on acorn browsers? Just wondered, my acorn isnt connected so I dont know unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Quint Message #85333, posted by ToiletDuck at 18:02, 20/1/2001, in reply to message #85332
Ooh ducky!Quack Quack
as far as RiscOS processors to x86 processors, the StrongARM 233 is about the equivalent to a Pentium II 350.
Im unsure how much faster the SA wuold be using the Kinetic upgrade, but its gonna be a damn lot faster once the Imago comes out grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #85334, posted by johnstlr at 19:33, 20/1/2001, in reply to message #85333
I'd be a bit careful when making statements like "a SA 233 is equivalent to a PII 350" for several reasons.

1) They're very different architectures
2) The PII has the benefit of a huge cache (more on this in a bit)
3) The PII has an FPU.
4) In terms of outright raw performance the PII 350 probably beats the SA 233 - a lot of what you're seeing is Windows overhead.

The point about the cache is that the Java code will be interpreted byte code. The size of a Java interpreter along with the actual bytecode itself will overwhelm the SAs measily 16k caches. The PII will fair a lot better here. Offset against that is tha fact that the SA has always given good caffeine mark ratings.

With a kinetic I'd expect the difference to be a lot less but there's no getting away from the fact that on raw numbers alone a PII 350 is faster than an SA 233.

^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Games: Java games and RISC OS