User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Related articles
- ABug provide more interesting retro talks to pass the time this Christmas
- Pass the time this Christmas with a selection of RISC OS and BBC Micro talks
- Games news
- Software preservation project bearing fruit
- Old games on new screens
- Justin Fletcher's RISC OS Rambles
- Games scene roundup
- RISC OS on The Register
- The Great Divide
- Micro Men: Clive Sinclair vs Acorn Computers
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: New Editor for Acorn User: round 3 (updated)

New Editor for Acorn User: round 3 (updated)

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 09:43, 4/12/2001 | ,

This is a story that could run and run!

Step up to the plate Michael "Arenaman" Stubbs, well known for various RISC OS related projects including Melotech, which sells RISC OS hardware and software.

Having read a few of these things in the past few months, I'll just give a brief summary of the press release. As before, the new look and improved content is bigged up, and a new news editor is in place. Comments have been taken note of, and more are welcome at editor@acornuser.com.

Michael's a commited RISC OS fan, and so hopefully we now have someone in place that will take AU forward - and I can stop posting items on changes in staff at our only news stand magazine.

Update
The new news editor is Alex Singleton, a freelance journalist who has worked for a number of magazines in both the RISC OS arena and further afield. More info is available on the comments page.

New Editor for Acorn User: round 3 (updated)
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Alex Singleton Message #89501, posted at 22:17, 5/12/2001, in reply to message #89500
Unregistered user Oh, sorry, I actually DID post it. I forgot.

I have a lot on my mind trying to figure out how I'm going to make a go of this new position, what with news so thin on the ground in this dying market.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Stubbs Message #89502, posted at 22:24, 5/12/2001, in reply to message #89501
Unregistered user Perhaps certain people would care to stop posting comments under other people's names. Maybe it's time for people to have to sign in to post comments, Rich?

January is my first issue. Don't forget most changes should be in February, not January, although you will notice some differences. That's the plan!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Stobbs Message #89503, posted at 09:37, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89502
Unregistered user I'd think that was preferable.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Weston Message #89504, posted at 09:41, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89503
Unregistered user Alex Singleton - I seem to remember you did a review of 6502em in 1995 and included a screenshot of Exile which was particuarly welcome!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #89505, posted at 10:12, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89504
Unregistered user Comments now take name and email address from your account. You can still post as a guest, or if you have an account and don't want to give your name you can post anonymously and/or without an email address; but it should cut down the number of "amusing" names popping up.

I would have done it sooner, but I haven't learnt PHP yet ;)

^[ Log in to reply ]

John Duffell Message #89506, posted at 12:30, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89505
Unregistered user Funky... now can you make it so when you log in it takes you back to the page which I'm typing into now please? The forum page isn't so handy when I'm going to comment on a post here :))

Thanks.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #89507, posted at 12:34, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89506
Unregistered user Now you're really stretching my PHP skillz (being a Perl programmer myself :)

I'll see what I can do, but in the mean time you could always just stay logged in :) Except if your browser loses your cookies, like Oregano seems to.

Hmm, isn't that a euphamism for being sick, losing one's cookies? :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89508, posted at 13:09, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89507
Unregistered user Oh. I have to log in. Damn. Solution: Don't learn PHP :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89509, posted at 13:24, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89508
Unregistered user Alex never did answer whether a name change has been ruled out.
Guy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89510, posted at 13:53, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89509
Unregistered user Horse!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #89511, posted at 14:15, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89510
Unregistered user Okay, a new login script is being used which should bring you back to the correct "add comment" page. I'll try to make it look less like it's part of the forums though.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89512, posted at 15:39, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89511
Unregistered user Well I thought it was much more amusing before all this log in c**p.
As if TIB was ever supposed to be a forum for reasoned debate! Can I make a reuest to go back to the old way please? It's as boring as Drobe now everyone is "Guest"

:-)

^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #89513, posted at 15:58, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89512
Unregistered user We've had news comments open for the past year now, and it's been constantly abused. It's become particularly bad recently to the point where it has to change or we have to stop having comments altogether. So no, we're not going to put it back the old way.

There are still the guest and anonymous options if you're too cowardly/lazy to post using your account (not to imply people with a genuine need for anonymity are lazy or cowardly...). Free expression is great, but these changes were brought about by constant abuse of that freedom. Unless you want to pay any legal bills I may incur from allowing people to post as someone else?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #89514, posted at 16:04, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89513
Unregistered user Of course, if you just object to the name "Guest" I can change that. I could even have a bunch of guest names and pick one at random. :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89515, posted at 21:24, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89514
Unregistered user Now that would be cool! Can we have avatars too please?

Hmm, it censors naughty words too!

Wikid!

Please note my previous comments were tongue-in-cheek, as indicated by the smiley!

^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Stubbs Message #89516, posted at 21:25, 6/12/2001, in reply to message #89515
Unregistered user Such as "Imposter" or "Joker"? ;-)

By the way, it's February that I completely take over.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89517, posted at 08:33, 7/12/2001, in reply to message #89516
Unregistered user "By the way, it's February that I completely take over."

Michael Stubbs; ruler of the known universe of time and space, we bow before thee.

At least, it seems we will in February :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Stubbs Message #89518, posted at 12:42, 7/12/2001, in reply to message #89517
Unregistered user Yes, don't you forget that!! ;-)

I believe I said I was doing the January issue: I was simple correcting myself.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Duffell Message #89519, posted at 13:26, 7/12/2001, in reply to message #89518
Unregistered user Better, but far too many clicks, I should be able to click add comment, then log in on that page, then type int he comment on the next page (it should take me ack to the same page you see but I'd now be logged in)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mr Jake Monkeyson Message #89520, posted at 14:33, 7/12/2001, in reply to message #89519
Unregistered user Was the Christmas issue the work of John Cartmell? It seems remarkably better than previous issues. Some of the articles were even worth reading.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mr Jake Monkeyson Message #89521, posted at 18:10, 8/12/2001, in reply to message #89520
Unregistered user Although if you like feeling a sense of deja vu, compare this month's Letters page with the December issue.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Williams Message #113950, posted by diodesign at 21:46, 11/4/2010, in reply to message #89479
diodesign
The Opposition

I'm pleased to be able to introduce myself as the new News Editor of Acorn User ... Best regards, Alex Singleton
The same Alex Singleton who is now the Daily Telegraph's leader column writer and opinion editor; a think tank founder, ex-RISC OS user, and former IT and MSM reporter?

http://www.alexsingleton.co.uk/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Trevor Johnson Message #113952, posted by trevj at 10:28, 12/4/2010, in reply to message #113950
If so, he has an interesting take on the importance of proprietary UIs for the One Laptop Per Child scheme. (Sorry - couldn't find a current link for the piece.)

Despite his opinions, it would seem the project has moved on with realisation of the XO laptop. (BBC news article too.) You even used to be able to "Give One and Get One".

I still don't understand why young schoolkids in the UK "need" to learn how to use proprietary software - which will be largely irrelevant when they enter the workplace.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #113953, posted by arawnsley at 21:00, 12/4/2010, in reply to message #113952
R-Comp chap
Most "educators" seem to agree that learning the general principles (as taught via RISC OS machines in the classrooms) generally led to more clued-up, well rounded students. However, it was much harder work than plopping them down in front of Word and using the pre-prescribed worksheets...

Sadly education often seems to consist largely of the "teacher is two pages further on in the textbook" syndrome, and rarely is there the commitment to excellence that brings the best out of students. That said, I know some really brilliant teachers, and they often say that it is the system of education itself that limits their scope and creativity.

Sigh.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: News and features: New Editor for Acorn User: round 3 (updated)