User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
Related articles
- Castle Up For Grabs
- Rounding Up February
- Wakefield 2001 show report
- R-Comp prepare for Wakefield [updated]
- eBay watch: Working A4s, VRAM, and cheap hardware
- eBay watch: Atoms to Risc PCs
- South East RISC OS Show 2004
- The Iyonix experience
- Wakefield 2003 - the preview
- Wireless Networking Comes To RISC OS
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: RiscStation portable - details released

RiscStation portable - details released

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 12:49, 10/12/2001 | , , ,

RiscStation portableThe latest specs for the RiscStation Portable Computer System have been released, along with some rather snazzy pictures.

The machine will be roughly 242x190x30mm (~= 9.5 x 7.5 x 1.2"), 1.3Kg in weight, with a 8.4" TFT 800x600 touchscreen screen, 64MB memory, 10GB hard drive and a glidepoint touchpad. It also boasts PCMCIA, USB and 10bT Ethernet onboard. You can also buy a docking station to add floppy drive, serial, parallel, VGA and PS2 ports. Prices start from £999 ex VAT, and you can put down a £100 deposit to secure one of the first on the release date of late February 2002.

Although at first glance this may not look like a "proper" laptop - the small size and screen res being somewhat smaller than full-blown PC laptops - the cute sub-notebook look might fit nicely into education and other niche markets, with a price comparable to the NetBook when it first came out but with slightly better spec.

To save duplicting all the details, click here for the flyer and here for the order form.

RiscStation portable - details released
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Guest Message #89648, posted at 13:11, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89647
Unregistered user I'm afraid I have to agree with the pessimistic Guest. It's obvious that nothing much is going to come out of a dying market like this. Unfortunately, most people can't seem to see it.
Can this anonymous guest identify himself please, it's only etiquette to do so.

Martyn: CTA have your order. I hope that you did not pay any money up front. Are you likely to get it back when they finally go bust?
Having to wait till February at the earliest seems most unreasonable. You would not be forced into this in the Wintel world. And yes this kind of comparison IS valid.

Oh, and this is comment number 91. Only 9 more to go till 100. Come on people!

Mike
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #89649, posted at 13:28, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89648
Unregistered user Look, the Omega is on final testing. There's no way Microdigital can't release it now - too much money has been poured into it. The only thing that might happen is them going bust - and that is *extremely* unlikely.

Whether the market can survive or not is a different matter, and one I am more pessimistic on (although I haven't given up hope). But the Omega *will* be released.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

[mentat] Message #89650, posted at 14:54, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89649
Unregistered user Mike - I don't think there's a need to be /quite/ so pessimistic - I have my doubts, but I still hope that we'll be seeing at least one new RISC OS machine with the next few months.

Moss - You're just kidding yourself - have the crunchy nightmares begun yet?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

[mentat] Message #89651, posted at 15:01, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89650
Unregistered user PS It /would/ inspire confidence (and indeed simply be polite) if RiscStation would update their website... Hmm.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #89652, posted at 16:38, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89651
Unregistered user If the Riscstation Portable isn't out by the end of February, I'll eat someone else's A4.

(And I think I'm safe on that one. No-one's going to give up their A4 if the portable doesn't appear.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89653, posted at 17:26, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89652
Unregistered user John: You are NOT safe on that one. When the Riscstation Portable does not appear, you can eat my A4!

This is comment 96. 100 here we come...

Mike
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mr Jake Monkeyson Message #89654, posted at 19:43, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89653
Unregistered user When ANY new RISC OS hardware appears, I'll eat John Hoare...

Nearly there lads.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Duffell Message #89655, posted at 19:47, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89654
Unregistered user Well Acorn poured loads into phoebe, which didn't appear right at the end, and they didn't go bust. Be prepared for anything, as it can happen.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89656, posted at 21:05, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89655
Unregistered user Acorn have always been the
best in everything, easy to use
operating system, quick
machines for such little MHz,
machines that never crash, BUT
marketing is terrible!!
SORT IT OUT!!!!!!!!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89657, posted at 21:18, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89656
Unregistered user How annoying would it be if the 100th comment was a completely pointless one, written by a Guest user?

I like powers of 10, so the next target is 1000.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89658, posted at 21:46, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89657
Unregistered user Platform dying? I doubt it. There are still many people
in it for love rather than money. Contact Watchdog, Tomorrow's
World, Royal Photographic Society, British Journal of Photography,
Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, Local MP, anybody else you can
think of, and ask why they are not using Low energy, etc, etc,
RISC OS computers, which are still being actively developed.
Beware the 'soft white elephant
ITs Bill will grow XPonentially!

RISC IT
Its Cool!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89659, posted at 22:09, 20/12/2001, in reply to message #89658
Unregistered user Well done everyone. We've hit 100! Thanks for your pointless 100th comment Guest User. You could call it the climax of all these pointless postings.

This is pointless comment 102 by the way.

Mike (who does identify himself)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

[mentat] Message #89660, posted at 09:23, 21/12/2001, in reply to message #89659
Unregistered user FANTASTIC. I'm almost as happy and excited at beating the 100 comment barrier as I would be at seeing a working prototype RiscStation notebook (or Omega even). </good natured sarcasm>
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #89661, posted at 12:48, 21/12/2001, in reply to message #89660
Unregistered user Don't be silly. The Omega will be with us in a week, the portable will be released in a surprise move in early January, and on Christmas Day a 32-bit OS will be announced. There's nothing to worry about everyone! :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89662, posted at 17:05, 21/12/2001, in reply to message #89661
Unregistered user You gonna finally eat my A4 then John? They are supposed to be good this time of year. I can provide any garnish you like and I have recharged the batteries, just for you.

Mentat: I see we understand each other :) Why the [brackets] by the way?

Mike
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

[mentat] Message #89663, posted at 17:21, 22/12/2001, in reply to message #89662
Unregistered user Cos on my profile my username is mentat and my 'name' is [mentat]. I dunno, just for fun! :P

I'm also looking forward to Moss's hardware eating show (don't forget John, we need photographic evidence!). Have you decided exactly which computer you'll be gorging yourself on?

Mike - why don't you log in?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89664, posted at 21:56, 22/12/2001, in reply to message #89663
Unregistered user I assume that simply typing 'Mike' at the end of a posting is easier than having to faff about with cookies. I'd much prefer the persistant style of things, even more so if you put the relevent information in the URL - that way it makes it easier if multiple people use the same machine, which can be tricky if you use persistant cookies.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89665, posted at 13:19, 26/12/2001, in reply to message #89664
Unregistered user Can anyone explain exactly what a high capacity 40W battery is? :) Haven't these people hears of Ampere Hours?

g0.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89666, posted at 20:36, 27/12/2001, in reply to message #89665
Unregistered user As I predicted the RS website has *not* been updated...rather a shame as the web is a very good and inexpensive marketing tool.

No news group announcement either!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89667, posted at 08:25, 28/12/2001, in reply to message #89666
Unregistered user the website has now been updated., at least the inside page the one with all the details has been updated.
I have just looked at the size it's realy quite small.
Sorry about not logging in but I have forgoten my username.
Peter.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89668, posted at 21:10, 28/12/2001, in reply to message #89667
Unregistered user Will this be a good tool for a digital photographer?
Dave Taylor
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon A, Young Message #89669, posted at 16:48, 31/12/2001, in reply to message #89668
Unregistered user Some positive comments, some negative. Well I've laid down my £100.00 deposit and am pleased to be able to support a machine I desperately need. Sorry to be an optomist but I think this is great news for the RISCOS community ... the portable device CPU of choice finally running the right OS.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89670, posted at 21:45, 1/1/2002, in reply to message #89669
Unregistered user Tony again:
Yep, mine's ordered too. Happy New Year to RISCStation - now get on with it will you :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89671, posted at 11:45, 9/1/2002, in reply to message #89670
Unregistered user With people posting things like...

> Acorn have always been the
> best in everything, easy to use
> operating system, quick
> machines for such little MHz,
> machines that never crash, BUT
> marketing is terrible!!
> SORT IT OUT!!!!!!!!

...a reality check is surely in order.

Acorn did have a chance in the late 80s - their microcomputers were pretty much the fastest available while IBM PC compatibles were slower, more limited and more expensive. At that time, 8 MHz (a low figure compared to today, indeed) combined with the RISC principles of the ARM did produce decent performance for the day. And RISC OS was relatively easy to use, in comparison to Windows 3.x.

The rest of the quoted rant is fantasy. Acorn kit does crash and perform in bizarre ways; the operating system architecture is disappointing and ultimately constrains the user experience; and when there isn't enough software to interest a market wider than education, marketing is the least of anyone's worries.

You are now synchronised with reality. Message ends.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89672, posted at 17:31, 9/1/2002, in reply to message #89671
Unregistered user Well put, Guest. It's pathetic how people stick their heads in the sand.

Mike
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #89673, posted at 21:49, 9/1/2002, in reply to message #89672
Unregistered user Rants that 'Acorn RULEZ' etc are not particuarly useful, but neither are anonymous postings...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89674, posted at 13:15, 10/1/2002, in reply to message #89673
Unregistered user In an attempt to bring this discussion back to the portable, I note that there's a report on it in this month's Computer Shopper (Jim Nagel's doing, presumably).

It doesn't contain much that isn't in the flyer, except that it says that the name might be the 'Liberte' (acute accent over the second 'e' but I can't remember how to do that on the PC I'm using here at work!).

I suppose it might be very slightly better than 'Phoebe', but not much!

A belated happy new year to all.

Martyn Fox
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #89675, posted at 20:06, 18/1/2002, in reply to message #89674
Unregistered user My, it's gone quite here!

We seem to hear even less about the docking station than about the portable itself. It makes me wonder if the docking station will initially be supplied with the portable, even for people like myself who've ordered both.

With the floppy and CD drives on the docking station, together with the serial port, how do you get any software into the portable on its own. Unless you can do it via the USB port, the only way in seems to be via the network.

I've just bought a network card from CJE Micros to be ready. I just hope the portable has the necessary software on board!

Martyn Fox
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #89676, posted at 13:58, 25/1/2002, in reply to message #89675
Unregistered user Hello Martyn..........................BOO!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 4

The Icon Bar: News and features: RiscStation portable - details released