User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
Related articles
- Iconbar in update shocker!
- Alpha benchmarks, Omega tittle tattle
- Wakey Wakey, it's show time again!
- Show! There's a show! Show happening! [updated^2]
- A9home watch
- R-Comp prepare for Wakefield [updated]
- R-Comp Interactive go to Extremes
- eBay watch: Working A4s, VRAM, and cheap hardware
- 8 bit news
- A6 A6+
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: More trouble for VirtualAcorn (updated)

More trouble for VirtualAcorn (updated)

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 12:56, 14/2/2002 | , , , , ,

More trouble is brewing for VirtualAcorn after John Kortink has found that the VA CD comes with some of his Shareware without his consent.

John, author of utilities such as Translator, Creator, PackDir and creator of the Viewfinder graphics card, is a little upset at the inclusion of software that requires his approval before being included with other products. Although VA have offered to remove the offending software - Translator, Creator and Earthmap - from future releases, they did not initially issue a recall or scrap the latest batch of CDs. If they didn't, John was talking about a criminal lawsuit on the advice of his lawyer.

This comes just after the release of v1.10 of the software (and hence, probably a new batch of CDs), and Paul Middleton's continued attack on emulators in the Foundation newsletter of 8th February.

Update: the current batch of CDs have now been scrapped.

Source: Usenet

More trouble for VirtualAcorn (updated)
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

John Hoare Message #90237, posted at 18:25, 5/3/2002, in reply to message #90236
Unregistered user The main reason I would like to have guest's names is to avoid confusion - there is more than one person posting as guest here. If guests gave themselves a made up handle, it's easier to tell people apart. I'm not bothered with knowing people's real names.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #90238, posted at 18:40, 5/3/2002, in reply to message #90237
Unregistered user It just needs your 'name' leaving at the end of the post to clarify. Some time ago when I suggested this, someone pointed out that it didn't prove who wrote the posting, and proceeded to leave my name at the end of it for proof. I was hoping that nobody round here would be childish enough to do that - we can all trust each other not to do that, can't we? :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90239, posted at 11:41, 6/3/2002, in reply to message #90238
Unregistered user As the guest who posted at 18:14, 5/3/2002, I shall call myself GuestX from now on.

GuestX :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #90240, posted at 14:05, 6/3/2002, in reply to message #90239
Unregistered user Hooray for GuestX! :-)

Erm... what was the argument again?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90241, posted at 16:22, 6/3/2002, in reply to message #90240
Unregistered user The real topic of discussion was how "even" open source operating systems provide more hardware support than RISC OS does, and that hardware support is quite often a more significant concern to consumers than how lovely the RISC OS Desktop is reported to be.

GuestX
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (6): |< < 6

The Icon Bar: News and features: More trouble for VirtualAcorn (updated)