User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Related articles
- Iconbar in update shocker!
- Rounding Up February
- BBC Domesday online
- Catch Up
- November News Dump
- RISC OS on The Register
- Wakey Wakey, it's show time again!
- Firefox port updated
- Wakefield 2001 show report
- Risc PC RAM - CJE, Firefox and others.
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: Not in any way related to copyright

Not in any way related to copyright

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 16:16, 20/2/2002 | , , , , , ,

If like me you're looking for something new to read, here are a few links to entertain you.

XScale - the second generation StrongARM chip - has been in the news recently, with a story tracing its lineage back to Acorn, and another about its debut in Tokyo (thanks to Rupert Woolger for the links).

Not sure if this really constitutes RISC OS news, but ROX (RISC OS on X) has reached version 1.2.0 and got its second mention on Slashdot. This project brings a RISC OS-style filer interface to Linux machines.

Looking for a unique gift, or wanting a fun project to play with? APDL/ProAction software have whispered in eKits Online's shell-like and can now offer a make your own clock kit suitable for use under RISC OS. "Choose from a wide selection of templates and clock elements. Combine them and add your own images if you wish. Alternatively, design your clock from scratch using the clock templates. Square, ellipse, star and other shaped templates are included. [Then] Simply follow the numbered stages to produce your finished working clock!" Groovy! Contact APDL on 020 8778 2659 or at 39 Knighton Park Road, Sydenham, London SE26.

And R-Comp have released a "Network in a Box" solution. This gives you pretty much everything you need to build a small network of RISC OS and PC machines including RiscPC and PC NICs, hub / printer server / 10/100 switch, cables and plenty of documentation. R-Comp are on (+44) 01925 755043 or at 22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS.

Tired of loading a web browser to view your RISC OS news? Well, you may not have noticed but certain websites - this one, Acorn Arcade, My RISC OS and RISCOS.org - are sporting RDF and RSS format data files. This is partly because I've been playing with Justin Fletcher's !RSS that My RISC OS posted about a while back. It's a bit of a desktop silly - it displays the news headlines in speech bubbles, and clicking on it to load the full article spawns a page in your web browser - but I like it! :)
(tibRSS, aaRSS, myroRSS, roRDF)

Finally, don't forget The RISCOS Southwest Show - Saturday 2nd March 2002 at The Webbington Hotel, Loxton, nr Axbridge, North Somerset. More details can be found on their website. There, you can't accuse me of not giving you enough advanced warning this time ;)

Not in any way related to copyright
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Guest Message #90272, posted at 09:59, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90271
Unregistered user "it should be pretty soon"

it seems to be the tendency in the riscos community.. pretty soon we will have new things..

well, more optimistically, pretty soon, I'll have my viewfinder and riscos-select and foundation renewal..

Marco (too lazy to log in) - promoting RISCOS, where possible :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #90273, posted at 10:07, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90272
Unregistered user Admittedly, after my computer eating fiasco (I'll keep you posted on that) I really should learn not to make comments on the avaliability of hardware...

BTW, there will be a port of Mozilla released next month. ;-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90274, posted at 10:54, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90273
Unregistered user The comments about ROX on Slashdot all seem pretty positive. Having to put up with Windows 98 on the PC card, I wonder
if ROX (RISC OS on X) could be turned into ROW (RISC OS on Windows) - anything to get rid of the Windoze desktop.
Gary
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Marco Frissen Message #90275, posted at 10:57, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90274
Unregistered user Well, for windoze, there are lots of 'themes'. I'm currently using the windows2k with windowblinds and ROS4.x desktop. but.. the functionality is not like ROS, only the looks.
I know of other apps that actually replace your windows desktop.
Now, who's good in MFC programming to port ROX to W?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90276, posted at 11:02, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90275
Unregistered user The trouble with the Windows shell replacements (like LiteStep) is that they all seem to use inordinate amounts of resou
rces whereas something like ROX would hopefully be much more efficient.
Gary
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90277, posted at 11:47, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90276
Unregistered user ROX uses Gtk+ which has been ported to win32 platforms - have you seen The GIMP running on Windows? Therefore, it might be possible to port it - indeed, that very issue may have been addressed on the project site (rox.sf.net) - although there would still be the problem of eliminating the Windows panel and backdrop. Still, I've managed to kill off large parts of Windows 2000's user interface by accident, so it should be possible (within certain "operating parameters").
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Duffell Message #90278, posted at 11:58, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90277
Unregistered user Maybe some enterprising laptop owner will write some IrDA drivers for it, it can't be hard, just something to plug in to SerialDev. Anyway, I've already offered riscstation to do it but anyone else is welcome to make the same offer. To make the IrDA really useful ytou need something to make use of it, something which understands what you're sending to it. IrDA PPP connection anyone?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

[mentat] Message #90279, posted at 12:00, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90278
Unregistered user "BTW, there will be a port of Mozilla released next month. ;-)"

?????
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #90280, posted at 12:13, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90279
Unregistered user WINKY SMILIE ALERT!!!

I'm not even going down that road - it was a joke, I swear...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #90281, posted at 12:21, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90280
Unregistered user Oh yeah, and for anyone who cares - I can't make it to the show - I've got C to learn :-> I'll be at Wakefield though - slightly easier for me to get to, as well.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

[mentat] Message #90282, posted at 12:27, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90281
Unregistered user Yes, well I did wonder (about the winkie and about you going to that show...) just strange of you to post serious sounding random bullshite - normally your bullshite is plain ridiculous.

Your punishment is to implement a mozilla port by 5pm monday. Thankyou.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #90283, posted at 12:35, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90282
Unregistered user I'll do my best. I might manage to port the icon. ;-)

I actually did mean to go to the show, but it suddenly struck me that Wakefield is so much nearer, and for the sake of a couple of months, it isn't worth it really.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Dave Lawton Message #90284, posted at 20:40, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90283
Unregistered user No working Omegas ?, What was that we saw at Wakefield 2001,
a mass hallucination then ?

If you follow one of the links in the news article, there is a link to
another site with more details on the XScale, if I read it right
there appears to be 1 device which runs from 50MHz upto 1GHz
by feeding it the right clock and winding the supply voltage up
from 0.75V (50MHz) to 1.75V (1GHz)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

mark quint Message #90285, posted at 23:52, 22/2/2002, in reply to message #90284
Unregistered user shouldnt be too hard to OC your '400mhz' XScale to 1Ghz then i'd hope :)
probably of more benefit to future PocketPC2002 owners thou i'd guess :(
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #90286, posted at 11:42, 23/2/2002, in reply to message #90285
Unregistered user Well, the Omega at Wakefield 2001 was *barely* working properly - it had a wobbly screen display, and it's speed was not what it should be...

Still, I'm pretty confident for Wakefield 2002. But I'm not making any predictions this time. :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90287, posted at 15:56, 24/2/2002, in reply to message #90286
Unregistered user I'm doubting that this Omega will work properly at all. If it does I'll put money on these ...

1. Whingers will still whinge about something and find any excuse not to buy it. "ewwww the screws used to hold the case together were made in America, snorrrt, I'm not buying that"

2. It will go on sale only half complete (stuff not working) and things will remain that way for ages if not forever.

I have no idea how these guys are seeing the RISC OS market as a viable place to make money? They need their heads testing.

The OS is dated and underdeveloped (noticed someone had a rant at RISCOS Ltd. in the Virtual Acorn comments postings btw.) There are too few users left in the market and the chances of impressing outsiders with this stuff is not very high - they are far too used to their modern equipment and smart software now. RISC OS would be a step down to them, not up or to the side.

Still I have to dip my hat in respect to all these new developers - they've got balls! Or they're just far to patriotic (or loaded) for their own good.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Anonymous Message #90288, posted at 10:19, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90287
Unregistered user The sad fact is that most RISC OS hardware developers know that RISC OS isn't a viable market, and so most of these machines - MD, RS etc. - are also Linux boxen.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Marco Frissen Message #90289, posted at 11:31, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90288
Unregistered user Anonymous coward wrote:

The sad fact is that most RISC OS hardware developers know that RISC OS isn't a viable market, and so most of these machines - MD, RS etc. - are also Linux boxen.

Well, If I could run linux distro whatever on an Omega, RS laptop, etc I'd be happy as well :) using the ROX desktop filer, it's quite a nice combo. If the Omega would come out, and only the SA would work with ROS, and the XScale would only work in combination with linux/BSD, i'd consider buying it. But, since MD havent been able to get it working yet, I guess we'll all have to wait... and wait.. and wait.
Meanwhile I'm going to play around with my viewfinder, soon-to-purchase photodesk and ROS select.. Now, where' that 24" LCD monitor I've dreamt of? :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mr Jake Monkeyson Message #90290, posted at 11:33, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90289
Unregistered user Apple do a 22inch one: http://www.apple.com/displays/acd22/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Marco Frissen Message #90291, posted at 11:45, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90290
Unregistered user resolution is only 1600x1024 .. too low for me :) I need 2048x1536 at least heh.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90292, posted at 12:30, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90291
Unregistered user You got deep pockets or what then, Marco? :)

Mike
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Scholes Message #90293, posted at 12:36, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90292
Unregistered user The sad fact is that most Windows hardware developers know that Windows isn't a viable market, and so most of these machines - Dell, IBM etc. - are also Linux boxen.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Marco Frissen Message #90294, posted at 12:40, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90293
Unregistered user
Mike wrote:
12:30, 25/2/2002
You got deep pockets or what then, Marco? :)

haha, actually I'm just kidding, but it would be nice to have an LCD like that. heh. Actually, what I would really need then would be higher res. than the mentioned one, since the images itself are 2048x1536 .. I need space for taskbar etc.. so a 30" would probably be of choice :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #90295, posted at 12:42, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90294
Unregistered user I got a secondhand 21" which is good enough for me! Mind you, I was used to an AKF60...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #90296, posted at 12:43, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90295
Unregistered user 21" CRT that is! :-)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mr Jake Monkeyson Message #90297, posted at 12:52, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90296
Unregistered user I've run my A3010 on a 28" display. But that was a TV. Does that count?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Marco Frissen Message #90298, posted at 13:01, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90297
Unregistered user haha,

actually, for pixel by pixel, CRTs are still the way to go. LCDs would get huge trying to reach the resolution a CRT can reach. My trusty old trinitron 17" can get to 1600x1200, although the fonts are quite small then :) but the refresh rate is still okay.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Anonymous Message #90299, posted at 13:25, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90298
Unregistered user Linux boxen as in the RISC OS ROMs are replaced with embedded Linux ROMs and sold specifically as Linux boxen, not Windows or RISC OS boxen that can do something else.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90300, posted at 16:58, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90299
Unregistered user I think you'l find it's actually the Linux people who turn Dell and Compaq kit into Linux boxes, not Dell and Compaq. RiskStation and MicroDigital are having to do it themselves - that's the difference. Why somebody would want to by a 56MHz RiskStation thing for the same price as a much, much, much faster x86 thing to run Linux on is beyond me.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Guest Message #90301, posted at 17:03, 25/2/2002, in reply to message #90300
Unregistered user What's with the word 'boxen'? Isn't it 'boxes'? :)

Mike
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (4): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: News and features: Not in any way related to copyright