Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
Related articles
- Castle Up For Grabs
- Wakefield show report [updated^2: full report]
- RISC OS on TV take 2
- Rounding Up February
- Faster 1.8GHz RISCube Ultra
- Show! There's a show! Show happening! [updated^2]
- Wakefield 2001 show report
- Luggable on display?
- R-Comp prepare for Wakefield [updated]
- USB DVD Drive
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS mentions!

RISC OS mentions!

Posted by Richard Goodwin on 12:36, 12/5/2002 | , ,

Looks like the Select release has been quite popular on some fronts...

OS News posted an article entitled RISC OS Select Released and... aw hell, you only want to know that it was on Slashdot with the headline RISC OS Select 1st Release Out don't you?

Pity the good news is tempered slightly by the news that the RiscStation portable has been delayed again.

Shouts to Phlamethrower, MarcoF and Simon Young for the info.

RISC OS mentions!
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Richard Goodwin Message #91015, posted at 15:57, 14/5/2002, in reply to message #91014
Unregistered user If they had lots of cash I'm sure the case would be available. Or someone else's case would be available. Money can solve a lot of problems (in the business world at least).

If there's no RAM available it shouldn't delay the launch - just the shipping of units to customers. You'd still have one or two demo units available to show off at exhibitions, surely? *cough*Omega*cough*RSPortable*cough* ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #91016, posted at 18:00, 14/5/2002, in reply to message #91015
Unregistered user *still sat round wondering how he pointed out the news*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #91017, posted at 22:01, 14/5/2002, in reply to message #91016
Unregistered user You posted to one of the forums about something or summat.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Lee Johnston Message #91018, posted at 09:30, 15/5/2002, in reply to message #91017
Unregistered user No it wouldn't. Laptop cases don't necessarily take standard motherboards - a change in case dimensions may necessitate a change in motherboard design, and even Intel couldn't do that overnight. It's made worse in this case because what constitutes a standard motherboard in PC land obviously doesn't in RISC OS land because you've also got to fit the RISC OS ROMs on it.

I for one have always believed that the basic hardware for the laptop exists simply because it's running in my RiscStation. If people hadn't wanted PCMCIA, USB, IrDA I rather suspect RiscStation could have delivered earlier. Depending on whether you believe Paul Johnson or not the laptop hardware is running, just not in a case or portable form.

Anyway it's not worth arguing about, it has been delayed and there isn't anything we can do about it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mr Jake Monkeyson Message #91019, posted at 12:27, 15/5/2002, in reply to message #91018
Unregistered user I posted something in the forums about the lateness of a certain portable product. Is that what you meant?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS mentions!