User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Games: Conversions (mostly games)

Conversions (mostly games)
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Andrew Message #105786, posted by andrew at 18:41, 23/12/2007, in reply to message #105603
HandbagHandbag Boi
Is this relevant to Quake2?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Dave Brown Message #105804, posted by daveb at 11:53, 28/12/2007, in reply to message #105786
Yes, it's definately relevant. I actually had Quake 2 running with IyonixMesa and soft float some months ago (built with an in development version of gcc 4.x on linux). The speed improvement was very noticable but still not fast enough to really be playable. This was, however, running at 1024x768 or something like that which may well be pushing the aging Nvidia card a bit too much. I'll have another look at it when I get back home in a couple of days.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #106118, posted by andrew at 14:57, 20/1/2008, in reply to message #97079
HandbagHandbag Boi
To get it working with the demo files, all you need to do is download one of the PC demo installers, settype it to &DDC, and copy Install.Data.baseq2 somewhere useful. Then edit !GLQuake2.!Run so that the Dir command points to the directory your baseq2 folder is in. (And remember to 'map demo1' when starting a new game)

For running it with the commercial data, it's pretty much the same, except you'll be copying it from Install.Data on the CD (or your PC).

Also, I should say that I was using SparkFS to extract the demo files. SparkPlug doesn't seem to like it (it's a self-extracting EXE). If anyone needs it, I can upload a plain zipfile.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 12:43, 13/1/2007]
Now able to try this on an iyonix. I've put baseq2 in the same dir. as !GLQuake2 and changed the runfile to that directory. The computer freezes however after accessing the disk for a few seconds. ELFloader is in Boot.choices.boot.predesk.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #111896, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:52, 10/11/2009, in reply to message #106118
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Paging Dave Brown, paging Dave Brown!

The softfloat version almost-kinda-ish works on my BeagleBoard. Do you have any source code updates you can share, before I eventually download GCC 4 and try recompiling the source I've already got?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Naulls Message #111898, posted by pnaulls at 02:11, 10/11/2009, in reply to message #111896
Paging Dave Brown, paging Dave Brown!

The softfloat version almost-kinda-ish works on my BeagleBoard. Do you have any source code updates you can share, before I eventually download GCC 4 and try recompiling the source I've already got?
I've just been looking at this stuff. IyonixMesa is broken on 5.14/15. I'm not sure what's involved in fixing it. As for the soft stuff, that might be worth a look, although the libraries might be quite dated. I'm not sure what the general situation might be with OpenGL on BB.

Anyway, I can help with compiling this. I was hoping to get lincity-ng going.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #111903, posted by Phlamethrower at 11:31, 10/11/2009, in reply to message #111898

IyonixMesa is broken on 5.14/15. I'm not sure what's involved in fixing it.
I don't know what needs doing to fix it either, since Simon was never able to get to the bottom of why it doesn't work on FX-series cards.

As for the soft stuff, that might be worth a look, although the libraries might be quite dated.
The Quake 2 source I've got (presumably the code that was last posted to this thread) seems to have been at least partially converted to use Peter Teichmann's softfloat code from ArcQuake. So I'm not sure whether the GCC 4 softfloat version that was posted here would be a pure GCC softfloat version of the game or a mix of Peter's code and GCC's.

In my eyes the eventual aim of any BeagleBoard/OMAP3 port would be to get it working with VFP/NEON, so it may make more sense to start with a straight softfloat port of the SDL version, so that we can easily switch over to hardware floating point once we're ready. Either that or someone will have to spend a few hours/days tidying up the RISC OS frontend to get mouse input & sound working, different video resolutions, etc.

I'm not sure what the general situation might be with OpenGL on BB.
The OpenGL drivers work quite well, but they're closed source. I've heard rumours that they might be opened up in the future, but I'm not holding my breath. It's probably best if we just ignore OpenGL until we get VFP/NEON working.

Anyway, I can help with compiling this. I was hoping to get lincity-ng going.
Cool.

As you can guess my main interest would be getting the software renderer & softfloat (and later hard float) working on the beagleboard. For this it might be trivial to compile the SDL version using the autobuilder. But if people are interested in the IyonixMesa version then I'm not sure how much work would be needed to bring that one up to scratch, or whether it would make sense to start with Dave's native RISC OS port or the SDL one.

I probably won't be looking at the code myself until I get the OMAP sound drivers finished (i.e. another month or two). If you produce a build for the beagleboard then I'll certainly test it, but don't feel as if you have to go out of your way to set it up & compile it on my behalf.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Drake Message #111904, posted by tlsa at 14:39, 10/11/2009, in reply to message #111903

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard says:

"Only the kernel portions of Linux drivers will be open source. The PowerVR folks will provide binary user-space libraries."
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #112084, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:56, 23/11/2009, in reply to message #111904

After digging around a bit, here's a rather old video of Quake 2 running on a Pandora devboard. The software renderer is being used to render at 320x240, and then software scaling is being used to scale it to 640x480 to fit the LCD. I'm assuming they're using hardware floating point, but perhaps not NEON, and perhaps not any assembler optimisations to the software renderer. So it'll be interesting to see what performance will be possible with a polished RISC OS port.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Flegg Message #112088, posted by Jaffa at 21:10, 24/11/2009, in reply to message #112084
AFAIK, the Quake 3 port for the Nokia N900 is using the OpenGL-ES acceleration of its OMAP3430 and looks pretty sweet at 800x480:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSZfhY25Jc
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiF60oWAsJI

Whether the binary blobs for the PowerVR are usable within RISC OS is beyond my thought processes at this time of night.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Naulls Message #112089, posted by pnaulls at 21:42, 24/11/2009, in reply to message #112088

Whether the binary blobs for the PowerVR are usable within RISC OS is beyond my thought processes at this time of night.
Maybe. The main thing is that the stack model is different on RISC OS and Linux, and it will depend on how it interacts with the hardware. So, probably some glue at both ends, but I can't see that it's impossible.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Rob Heaton Message #122110, posted by robheaton at 10:47, 24/3/2013, in reply to message #112089
Sorry to reply to an old thread but..

Has anyone managed to get Quake 2 up and running on RISC OS 5.19 and the PandaBoard ES?

[Edited by robheaton at 11:12, 24/3/2013]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (5): |< < 5

The Icon Bar: Games: Conversions (mostly games)